Side window trims

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
B@fink
Car(s): Fiat Tipo diseasel (daily driver)
Audi A8 luxobarge (high days, holidays and general waft)
Ford Capri 1.6 Laser (former daily driver, stored 15 years, rebuilt in lockdown, done, but in dire need of paint)

Side window trims

Post by B@fink »

Afternoon all. Quick question. How do the side window trims come off? I want to start stripping it ready for it’s respray and the body shop said I have the option to save myself some beer vouchers and do the strip down of trim. If they’re a royal pain in the lower back area I’ll leave it to the professionals but if not…I’ll have a crack and save a few hundred in labour. Everything else but the spoiler has been off recently anyway so it shouldn’t be too much of a hassle for the rest. Spoiler might be a bit of a mare yet though :D
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Re: Side window trims

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

The front window trims can be removed quite easily. Get something flat, place it between the trim and the door skin and lever upwards. You'll have to work your way along the trim doing this. The clips that hold the trims in place are rivetted on, should you wish to remove them.
:goodluck:

Andrew.
B@fink
Car(s): Fiat Tipo diseasel (daily driver)
Audi A8 luxobarge (high days, holidays and general waft)
Ford Capri 1.6 Laser (former daily driver, stored 15 years, rebuilt in lockdown, done, but in dire need of paint)

Post by B@fink »

And the curvy rear window trims?
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

B@fink wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 7:29 am And the curvy rear window trims?
There's a couple of rivets on the B-pillar that will need to be drilled out. The trim is in two parts, the top section is screwed on from inside and the interior trim will have to be removed to do this. The bottom section needs to be levered off in the same was as the door trim.
This description applies to the trim on cars with opening rear windows. I'm not 100% sure, but I think if you have fixed rear windows there is also an additional piece of trim on the B-pillar.

Andrew.