Valvoline VR1 is the dogs bollocks

You can RANT and RAVE to your hearts content here instead of clogging up the Q&A Technical Forum!
Report any offensive posts to [email protected]
Mr B
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Four 3 litre Capri's and 2 Mark 1 GXL's

Re: Valvoline VR1 is the dogs bollocks

Post by Mr B »

I have read that too much pressure pushes the oil through the bearings to quickly and in doing so the oil doesn't absorb enough of the heat generated by the bearings before it gets pushed out.

I think a lot of people prefer a higher pressure reading on the gauge as its normally associated with an engine in good condition, when it's registering a low or lower pressure it could mean trouble, expensive trouble.

Wayne
If an honest man is wrong and after demonstrating that he is wrong he either stops being wrong or stops being honest
Major_Tom
Car(s): 2.0S

Post by Major_Tom »

Mine has been run on only 20 / 50 through all seasons with high pressure oil pump for 12ish years. Bearings all good thus far๐Ÿ‘

It did put a pinhole in the oil spray bar a few years ago though.. but could have just been a crap patterned part. Was still delivering oil though... more than it was supposed to at the bulkhead end ๐Ÿ™ƒ
I'm the one who leaves all those shoes in the carriageway.
Mr B
Donator
Donator

Post by Mr B »

Major_Tom wrote: โ†‘Mon Jul 25, 2022 7:01 pm Mine has been run on only 20 / 50 through all seasons with high pressure oil pump for 12ish years. Bearings all good thus far๐Ÿ‘

It did put a pinhole in the oil spray bar a few years ago though.. but could have just been a crap patterned part. Was still delivering oil though... more than it was supposed to at the bulkhead end ๐Ÿ™ƒ
Same here, I run 20/50 all year round, oil change every 3/4k and so far so good, one of my cars does have an high pressure pump in it - first thing in the morning the needle is off the scale at idle!! ๐Ÿคญ

Wayne
If an honest man is wrong and after demonstrating that he is wrong he either stops being wrong or stops being honest
Major_Tom

Post by Major_Tom »

There is talk of running thinner oil in winter isnt there, but it doesn't make much sense to me as the engine has this habit of warming up to operating temperature after a few minutes regardless of the season ๐Ÿค”
Mr B
Donator
Donator

Post by Mr B »

Major_Tom wrote: โ†‘Mon Jul 25, 2022 7:39 pm There is talk of running thinner oil in winter isnt there, but it doesn't make much sense to me as the engine has this habit of warming up to operating temperature after a few minutes regardless of the season ๐Ÿค”
I'm with you on this, I bought a 3 litre Capri quite a while back and the owner had been running 10/30 in her, 10 bloody 30!! Needless to say the oil pressure was rubbish, after demonstrating to him that my car had a better oil pressure (after 20 odd miles of driving and was fully warmed up) than his car did on a cold start up he knocked a grand off the price.

The engine in that car was indeed toast and even on a cold start it's gauge only read 2 graduations off the red so you can imagine what happened when she was fully warmed up... New oil of the correct grade sadly didn't work.

Wayne
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser,
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

Post by Fordoholic Nick »

Major_Tom wrote: โ†‘Fri Jul 22, 2022 1:20 pm
Fordoholic Nick wrote: โ†‘Thu Jul 21, 2022 9:15 pm
Mc Tool wrote: โ†‘Thu Jul 21, 2022 9:00 pm
Ha ha ha๐Ÿ˜‚ good answer Tom
Hamish what Tom meant to say was he took a group selfie... Cant you see him... :wave: :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :applaud:

I like my stylish blue boxers :lol:
Could not leave out your sleeveless t-shirt either Tom :wave:
I was born a Fordoholic, They'll bury me a Fordoholic...
tazla
Car(s): Mk2 3.0s stardust silver

Post by tazla »

Ive got valvoline in my essex and its been great .im going to change the oil and filter this week and thought id change to millers just to see if theres any difference .il let all know if owts different
Major_Tom

Post by Major_Tom »

Well if you want to try Millers, Opie Oils sells it cheap:

https://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-79227-mill ... tID=121940