What clutch is this ?

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
BertCapri
Car(s): 79'3.0S + 79 2ltr

What clutch is this ?

Post by BertCapri »

Hi everyone, trying source a new clutch for 2.0lt Capri i am repairing,
it has a LUK item fitted with part no 00812 stamped on it, my local parts store are stumped and can not fine it, any ideas ?
it also seems smaller than standard 2lt clutch for some reason, i have another clutch from another 2lt engine, with ford stamping and part number 72GB-7563A, seems at least 1nch bigger friction plate, any help appreciated, why the difference, and is it just as simple as switching fly wheels to fit the larger clutch assembly ?
Thanks, Bert

Major_Tom
Car(s): 2.0S

Re: What clutch is this ?

Post by Major_Tom »

How many splines does the friction plate have? I bet the smaller friction plate is from a Type 3 gearbox.
I'm the one who leaves all those shoes in the carriageway.
BertCapri

Post by BertCapri »

Thanks Tom, 23 spline I'm nearly sure, they both fit the input shaft on the box. witch is type 9 5speed,? But the larger clutch from the other 2lt does not fit flywheel in the car,

Caprigear
Donator
Donator

Post by Caprigear »

So you're looking for a 23 spline friction plate but smaller cover plate than the standard 2 litre clutch? shouldn't be that difficult, most retailers go by parts books that have been wrong for years.
BertCapri

Post by BertCapri »

Caprigear wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 9:44 pm So you're looking for a 23 spline friction plate but smaller cover plate than the standard 2 litre clutch? shouldn't be that difficult, most retailers go by parts books that have been wrong for years.
You would think so right ? they both 23 spline friction plates, they both came from 2lt Pinto engines, ford one is 1'' bigger than the other, both friction plate and pressure plate are larger, question is, is it just a matter of swooping the fly wheels over, or will i run into problems with starter or anything else,
and yes i know what you saying about auto factors, but this guy i know long time, and he spent half hour looking for that LUX clutch kit or equivalent and was stumped,
Thanks
Caprigear
Donator
Donator

Post by Caprigear »

If it's a 23 spline friction plate and a smaller cover plate then I can get them.
BertCapri

Post by BertCapri »

Caprigear wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 10:36 pm If it's a 23 spline friction plate and a smaller cover plate then I can get them.
I think it's 190mm clutch for a 1.3 that was in it somehow, but i want to replace it with correct 215mm kit, but that will not fit on the flywheel, it must be 1300 flywheel as well, is that possible do you think ? just wondering is bell housing and starter the same, thinking they must be as they have bolted straight to the 2lt block way it was, very very strange, think someone did engine swoop sometime maybe and used whatever they had around just to get it moving, when i got the car the clutch was toast already,
Thanks,
Peter-S
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1985 Capri 2.0
1983 Capri 2.8i

Post by Peter-S »

A common engine swap is 1.6 to 2.0. I believe the clutch was smaller on the 1.6.
ImageBanner by Peter Smith, on Flickr
Bug
Car(s): Some

Post by Bug »

As long as you don't discover you've actually been driving a 1.6 with a twin choke Webber :shock:
BertCapri

Post by BertCapri »

Bug wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 8:12 am As long as you don't discover you've actually been driving a 1.6 with a twin choke Webber :shock:
:xd: or 1300 pinto :D :D :D :D :D no its 2lt 205 stamped block, that was main reason i got it and solid enough shell, engine runs sweet as nut, just done timing belt and service, its got electric ignition already so that's all good, someone did spend little time and money doing engine, but seems they ran out time or money or both by time they got to fitting it all in car, :roll: just like to fit correct clutch while we in that deep, fit rear crank seal too if changing fly wheel,
cheers Bug
Last edited by BertCapri on Fri Jun 10, 2022 9:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
BertCapri

Post by BertCapri »

Peter-S wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 6:59 am A common engine swap is 1.6 to 2.0. I believe the clutch was smaller on the 1.6.

yeah have done it time or two. not for a long while tho, but i always left flywheel alone on the 2 lt
is 1.6 clutch that small do you know ??? and are bell housing and starter and input shaft all comparable,
i honestly cant remember, and always had both so didn't really matter, suppose i gonna find out soon :lol:
thanks Peter
Peter-S
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1985 Capri 2.0
1983 Capri 2.8i

Post by Peter-S »

BertCapri wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 8:53 am
Peter-S wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 6:59 am A common engine swap is 1.6 to 2.0. I believe the clutch was smaller on the 1.6.

yeah have done it time or two. not for a long while tho, but i always left flywheel alone on the 2 lt
is 1.6 clutch that small do you know ??? and are bell housing and starter and input shaft all comparable,
i honestly cant remember, and always had both so didn't really matter, suppose i gonna find out soon :lol:
thanks Peter
Bell housing is the same as its the same gearbox for 1.6 and 2.0 assuming you have the 5 speed so input shaft is also the same. Starter will be compatible as the flywheel is the same diameter its just the contact area for the friction plate on the flywheel that is smaller on the 1.6.
ImageBanner by Peter Smith, on Flickr
BertCapri

Post by BertCapri »

Peter-S wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 4:58 pm
BertCapri wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 8:53 am

thanks Peter
Bell housing is the same as its the same gearbox for 1.6 and 2.0 assuming you have the 5 speed so input shaft is also the same. Starter will be compatible as the flywheel is the same diameter its just the contact area for the friction plate on the flywheel that is smaller on the 1.6.
Thank you Peter