Tire sizes

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
Mr B
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Four 3 litre Capri's and 2 Mark 1 GXL's

Tire sizes

Post by Mr B »

Hi everyone,

Quick question, will 215 60 14 tires fit on a standard Capri?

The wheels are already on the car with 195 60 14 tires and no issues.

The wheels are American racing outlaw ll AR62 with zero offset.

Any advice would be much appreciated

Wayne
If an honest man is wrong and after demonstrating that he is wrong he either stops being wrong or stops being honest
Bug
Car(s): Some

Re: Tire sizes

Post by Bug »

I'd say yes, but am very surprised you have 14" wheels?
Usually either 13 or 15.
Not doubting you, just an odd size.
Mr B
Donator
Donator

Post by Mr B »

Bug wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 3:27 pm I'd say yes, but am very surprised you have 14" wheels?
Usually either 13 or 15.
Not doubting you, just an odd size.
Hi Bug,

Thanks for replying mate

It is a strange size isn't it? I had to import the wheels in from the states - very difficult to get American wheels in 4 stud pattern but these wheels were apparently designed with the Mustang 2 in mind hence they fit the Capri - nice rims to be honest but as you say odd size.

Have to be honest I'm only considering this as I've always wanted a set of BF GOODRICH radial t/a tires on my car - love the raised white letters but my choice of size is limited to either 215 60 14 or 205 70 14.

What do you think mate?

Wayne
If an honest man is wrong and after demonstrating that he is wrong he either stops being wrong or stops being honest
Major_Tom
Car(s): 2.0S

Post by Major_Tom »

Mr B wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 11:46 am Hi everyone,

Wayne
Should be fine. I have 14" 0 offset dragslots on mine, 215 60 14s rear, 195 55 14s on the front, but -3" springs. Should be fine with 60s.

I sought out 14s because it was getting silly finding good quality, decently priced 13" tyres. And I love RWL tyres too.. got Coopers first, big mistake, dreadful in the wet, dreadful in the lightest dew. Got Goodriches on the back now, incredible tyres, best I've ever used. Expensive, but they just last and last and have tons of grip... and look great too.

I'm the one who leaves all those shoes in the carriageway.
Mr B
Donator
Donator

Post by Mr B »

Major_Tom wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 9:09 pm .
Mr B wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 11:46 am Hi everyone,

Wayne
Should be fine. I have 14" 0 offset dragslots on mine, 215 60 14s rear, 195 55 14s on the front, but -3" springs. Should be fine with 60s.

I sought out 14s because it was getting silly finding good quality, decently priced 13" tyres. And I love RWL tyres too.. got Coopers first, big mistake, dreadful in the wet, dreadful in the lightest dew. Got Goodriches on the back now, incredible tyres, best I've ever used. Expensive, but they just last and last and have tons of grip... and look great too.

Thanks Tom,

Can I ask if 195 on the front was a choice or was there a clearance issue?

Wayne
Major_Tom

Post by Major_Tom »

Yeah it was a choice, I heard that wider fronts tramline more. And I like the smaller fronts look.
Mr B
Donator
Donator

Post by Mr B »

Major_Tom wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 10:05 pm Yeah it was a choice, I heard that wider fronts tramline more. And I like the smaller fronts look.
Thanks mate, just wanted to be sure before I spent 550 quid on tires I can't use! :lol:

As for tramlining I have noticed that with 205's as well especially on the roads where I live - I guess it's the same everywhere though.

Wayne
Major_Tom

Post by Major_Tom »

Yes and it helps wirh parking for the fairer sex :lol:
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1980 mk3 capri 2l ohc T9 , Toyota Blade Master 3.5l V6, Paso , 850T,rd400, 900ss

Post by Mc Tool »

I didnt know you could still get BFG's. They were the tire to be seen with round here ......probly 25 years ago.
The raised white lettering is a marmite thing ( you either love it or hate it ).
Here in the edge of the world anything different ( imported ) was cool ....wether it was actually any good didnt matter as long as it looked cool . Hoosier tires were another popular choice, probly coz we saw that brand on american stock cars on telly.😁
Sometimes I talk to myself ... and we both have a good laugh
Mr B
Donator
Donator

Post by Mr B »

Mc Tool wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 6:54 pm I didnt know you could still get BFG's. They were the tire to be seen with round here ......probly 25 years ago.
The raised white lettering is a marmite thing ( you either love it or hate it ).
Here in the edge of the world anything different ( imported ) was cool ....wether it was actually any good didnt matter as long as it looked cool . Hoosier tires were another popular choice, probly coz we saw that brand on american stock cars on telly.😁
Found this on the net:

BFGoodrich is an American tire company. Originally part of the industrial conglomerate Goodrich Corporation, it was acquired in 1990 (along with Uniroyal, then The Uniroyal Goodrich Tire Company) by the French tire maker Michelin.

Looks like Michelin might be re-releasing some of the old stuff - almost anything retro seems popular these days.

Wayne