Auto box changing up too soon

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
T.M.
Car(s): Capri 2.8 Injection (1984)

Re: Auto box changing up too soon

Post by T.M. »

pbar wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 6:46 pm I'm sure you've checked, but is your throttle cable set properly Danny? If you hold/prop the pedal to the floor with a piece of wood or similar, do you still have any play at the carb end? It's worth a check.
:agree:
D366Y
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1986 Laser 1.6, daily runaround project
1981 GL Auto 2.0, Barn-Find-Resto, now also a runaround project
1980 3.0S, crash damage resto
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Currently full up and no more space but I still want a 2.8...

Post by D366Y »

pbar wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 6:46 pm
D366Y wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 4:02 pm today and I realised that the throttle is almost completely on the floor

I'm sure you've checked, but is your throttle cable set properly Danny? If you hold/prop the pedal to the floor with a piece of wood or similar, do you still have any play at the carb end? It's worth a check.
I was hoping someone would tell me how to check as I had no idea!
Will have a look at this tomorrow Paul thank you
A wise man once said... "you can never have too many capris - buy another" :beer:
It's me, I'm the wise man.
Mr B
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Four 3 litre Capri's and 2 Mark 1 GXL's

Post by Mr B »

D366Y wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 7:25 pm
pbar wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 6:46 pm
D366Y wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 4:02 pm today and I realised that the throttle is almost completely on the floor

I'm sure you've checked, but is your throttle cable set properly Danny? If you hold/prop the pedal to the floor with a piece of wood or similar, do you still have any play at the carb end? It's worth a check.
I was hoping someone would tell me how to check as I had no idea!
If there is slack in the cable you won't get full power either as the Carburettor won't be all the way open at full throttle so if it does need adjusting be prepared for some extra power too :burnout:

Wayne
If an honest man is wrong and after demonstrating that he is wrong he either stops being wrong or stops being honest
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Post by pbar »

D366Y wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 7:25 pm I was hoping someone would tell me how to check as I had no idea!

No worries Danny. Simply hold the pedal all the way down and you shouldn't have extra play at the carb, if you do then the cable would need to be adjusted, which usually you can do at the carb end as it has an adjuster. And has Wayne rightly says, extra power awaits!
D366Y
Donator
Donator
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Post by D366Y »

Thanks guys, will have a butchers tomorrow!!
A wise man once said... "you can never have too many capris - buy another" :beer:
D366Y
Donator
Donator
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Post by D366Y »

Looks like Tom was right from the start!
Throttle cable very loose to the extent I can pull part of it out, and when I pull part of it out it brings the pedal back up to the correct level

Now just to spend forever trying to find one for "a reasonable price" !!!
Attachments
IMG-20220525-WA0005.jpg
IMG-20220525-WA0006.jpg
T.M.

Post by T.M. »

So you had throttle pedal blocked on the floor by something, saw that carburettor isn't fully open, then unscrewed adjuster (red arrow) all way out to try open carb fully and still you pull the cable out that much? It's a lot!

Tom
Attachments
2222.jpg
D366Y
Donator
Donator
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Post by D366Y »

I did all of that apart from unscrewing the yellow adjuster - I didn't know you could do that!!
I just looked at it and went "that's the problem" :lol:

If it can be adjusted I will try that later and see if it can be fixed
D366Y
Donator
Donator
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Post by D366Y »

Unscrewed the yellow adjuster all the way out, still about an inch of play!
Looks like a new cable will need fitting - is that a massive ballache of a job or can I do it myself?
T.M.

Post by T.M. »

D366Y wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 7:35 pm ...is that a massive ballache of a job or can I do it myself?
It's not difficult, but that part on carburetor side could be challenging. When I did it on my 2.8i I had to remove all mounting bracket (on throttle plate side) with cable out of car and did it in vice in garage.

Here is manual from Haynes. It's for 3.0, but it will be same. ;)

Tom
Attachments
Accel cable.JPG
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Post by pbar »

D366Y wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 7:35 pm Unscrewed the yellow adjuster all the way out, still about an inch of play!
Looks like a new cable will need fitting

Not sure what could have happened to the existing cable to warrant a new one though? Are we sure it isn't something else that's happened here. Just don't want you to change the cable Danny and it be exactly the same!
Mr B
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Four 3 litre Capri's and 2 Mark 1 GXL's

Post by Mr B »

Hi mate,

Thought I'd post this as it may help, over the weekend I did an engine swap on my Essex V6 Capri, all went well with no issues but.....when I drove the car afterwards I noticed that the auto transmission was taking much longer to change up gears than it did previously - it used to make top gear by 30 mph driving normally but now it takes 40 mph to make top gear, cut a long story short the metal vacuum line from the gearbox connects to the engine intake manifold via a small piece of tube (looks like the tubing used for vacuum advance on a distributor) well this had split and was creating a vacuum leak large enough to effect the idle mixture and drive the auto box up the wall, pipe replaced and everything back to normal.

Was wondering if a vacuum leak was somehow responsible for the issues you are having mate.

Hope this helps

Wayne
If an honest man is wrong and after demonstrating that he is wrong he either stops being wrong or stops being honest
D366Y
Donator
Donator
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Post by D366Y »

pbar wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 9:30 am
D366Y wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 7:35 pm Unscrewed the yellow adjuster all the way out, still about an inch of play!
Looks like a new cable will need fitting

Not sure what could have happened to the existing cable to warrant a new one though? Are we sure it isn't something else that's happened here. Just don't want you to change the cable Danny and it be exactly the same!
I honestly have no idea.... are they not the sort of thing that may need changing every so often?
I've never had the issue with the 1.6 due to the amount of carbs I get through which all come with new cables :lol:

I have heard of throttle cables going so sort of assumed that changing the cable was sort of reasonable....?
Mr B wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 5:18 pm Hi mate,

Thought I'd post this as it may help, over the weekend I did an engine swap on my Essex V6 Capri, all went well with no issues but.....when I drove the car afterwards I noticed that the auto transmission was taking much longer to change up gears than it did previously - it used to make top gear by 30 mph driving normally but now it takes 40 mph to make top gear, cut a long story short the metal vacuum line from the gearbox connects to the engine intake manifold via a small piece of tube (looks like the tubing used for vacuum advance on a distributor) well this had split and was creating a vacuum leak large enough to effect the idle mixture and drive the auto box up the wall, pipe replaced and everything back to normal.

Was wondering if a vacuum leak was somehow responsible for the issues you are having mate.

Hope this helps

Wayne
Thanks for this Wayne, I will have a look when everything stops being so blurry and wobbly and see if the vacuum is past its best :beer:

PS - Apologies for the late reply - manic week at work and then getting leathered in true Bank Holiday fashion!

Cheers
Danny
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1980 mk3 capri 2l ohc T9 , Toyota Blade Master 3.5l V6, Paso , 850T,rd400, 900ss

Post by Mc Tool »

Ha , yeah , I did half a bottle of Bombay Sapphire last night , now not so sure it was a good idea 🥃🤕
Sometimes I talk to myself ... and we both have a good laugh
D366Y
Donator
Donator
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Post by D366Y »

Taken me far too long to get around to this, but I went out on a limb and got a new throttle cable from Tickover a couple of weeks ago and finally managed to fit it today....

Problem solved!

Changing the cable was a lot less of a ball ache than I had expected it to be which I'm grateful for, managed to take the old one off, fit the new one and take it for a test drive all within 45minutes and it's running beautifully now - being times a billion times and new points probably helped!

Only question about it, does it matter how tight/lose the adjuster is? I've stuck it all the way in for now as my logic was that if it stretches later I can wind it out more, just wanted to see if that's what I should be doing? Haynes only advised 'fitting is the reverse of the above' which obviously wasn't much help!

Also, for future reference for anyone else if you buy a new cable from Tickover, mine didn't come with the metal clip on the end to connect to the throttle linkage so make sure you don't lose it when you take the old one off, and the new one is much longer than the old one!

Cheers
Danny
Attachments
IMG-20220620-WA0007.jpg
IMG-20220620-WA0006.jpg
IMG-20220620-WA0005.jpg
Last edited by D366Y on Thu Aug 24, 2023 7:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
T.M.

Post by T.M. »

D366Y wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 1:05 pm Haynes only advised 'fitting is the reverse of the above' which obviously wasn't much help!
Hi,
few posts above from 27th May I put printscreen from Haynes, where is much more information about refitting and adjusting it. ;)

Tom
D366Y
Donator
Donator
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Post by D366Y »

Totally missed that thank you - will adjust later!
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1980 mk3 capri 2l ohc T9 , Toyota Blade Master 3.5l V6, Paso , 850T,rd400, 900ss

Post by Mc Tool »

That cable looks way to loose to me . Needs adjuster wound out a bit so there is only a couple mm play 😁
Sometimes I talk to myself ... and we both have a good laugh