Tailgate Struts

Capri Parts For Sale and Wanted
Caprigear
Donator
Donator

Re: Tailgate Struts

Post by Caprigear »

If you fit struts that are too strong then there's every chance that you will rip off the mountings on the sides of the tailgate, I've seen it!
T.M.
Car(s): Capri 2.8 Injection (1984)

Post by T.M. »

Caprigear wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 9:05 pm If you fit struts that are too strong then there's every chance that you will rip off the mountings on the sides of the tailgate, I've seen it!
Really?? :shock:
Thank you for the warning!

Tom
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

T.M. wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 5:39 am Really?? :shock:
Thank you for the warning!
Crikey, that is an eye opener! I wonder if it would be OK as long as you don't allow the tailgate to open on it's own? Maybe it's when it stops suddenly at the end of the travel when the damage occurs?

Andrew.
T.M.

Post by T.M. »

Andrew 2.8i wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 5:13 pm Maybe it's when it stops suddenly at the end of the travel when the damage occurs?
Yes, it could be. But many new struts have damping on last few centimetres (also my new struts), so it go slow to end position.
Or it could also happen when you try to close tailgate and you have to force it against strong struts...

Tom
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Post by pbar »

T.M. wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 6:55 pm Yes, it could be. But many new struts have damping on last few centimetres (also my new struts), so it go slow to end position.

That's a good point yes. Also it could be that the extra 'force' could deteriorate them over a period of time? I was a little worried that the replacement struts are slightly longer, meaning perhaps extra strain on the tailgate hinges. But Tickover have sold a lot of these (as in the hundreds) so I guess they must be ok.
T.M.

Post by T.M. »

pbar wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 7:54 pm ... so I guess they must be ok.
Hopefully yes...

Tom
pbar

Post by pbar »

Hi Tom, how are your replacement struts? Mine have become very weak. When I first fitted them they opened the tailgate with a positive 'whoosh' and would actually hold the tailgate up at various angles. But now, they creak and groan a little and have become a lot weaker and will only hold the tailgate up when I push it up fully and I'm not actually that confident that they will even keep it there.

Anyone else had similar experiences with the Tickover ones?
andyd
Car(s): 1981 XR3

Post by andyd »

pbar wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 10:51 am Hi Tom, how are your replacement struts? Mine have become very weak. When I first fitted them they opened the tailgate with a positive 'whoosh' and would actually hold the tailgate up at various angles. But now, they creak and groan a little and have become a lot weaker and will only hold the tailgate up when I push it up fully and I'm not actually that confident that they will even keep it there.

Hi Paul,
Looking back at previous posts and seeing it's less than 6 months since you fitted them I don't find it acceptable that you are having issues!

Even if I opened my boot 10 times a day I would expect them to last longer than this.

A bad batch, sub standard parts? I would contact Tickover and see if something can be sorted :goodluck:

Andy
T.M.

Post by T.M. »

pbar wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 10:51 am Hi Tom, how are your replacement struts? Mine have become very weak. When I first fitted them they opened the tailgate with a positive 'whoosh' and would actually hold the tailgate up at various angles. But now, they creak and groan a little and have become a lot weaker and will only hold the tailgate up when I push it up fully and I'm not actually that confident that they will even keep it there.

Hi Paul,
my struts are same as I bought them.
Only in low temperatures they don't have same power as in warm temperatures. So I have to help tailgate to end position. But it was same with new struts. And it holds tailgate good in any position. But we will see after winter.

Last week they wrote me from motomobil that they have struts on stock. But they are 620N and earlier in this topic Martin from CapriGear wrote it could be problem.
https://www.motomobil.com/en/products/t ... rrency=GBP

Tom
pbar

Post by pbar »

andyd wrote: Thu Oct 13, 2022 8:27 am Hi Paul,
Looking back at previous posts and seeing it's less than 6 months since you fitted them I don't find it acceptable that you are having issues!

Even if I opened my boot 10 times a day I would expect them to last longer than this.

A bad batch, sub standard parts? I would contact Tickover and see if something can be sorted :goodluck:

Andy

Thank you Andy, yes I think I shall do that, contact Tickover and see. I haven't used the tailgate much since I fitted them, and I had another look today, and there is just no assistance from the struts, I have to push the tailgate all the way to the top and hold it for a second then it will 'balance' in position. That's just the same than the old original failed ones which I took off. I might just mention it on Capri Power, as the various Clubs seem to be more active on there and I can see if this is the norm for the replacement struts. Thanks again Andy!
pbar

Post by pbar »

T.M. wrote: Thu Oct 13, 2022 7:09 pm Hi Paul,
my struts are same as I bought them.
Only in low temperatures they don't have same power as in warm temperatures. So I have to help tailgate to end position. But it was same with new struts. And it holds tailgate good in any position. But we will see after winter.

Last week they wrote me from motomobil that they have struts on stock. But they are 620N and earlier in this topic Martin from CapriGear wrote it could be problem.
https://www.motomobil.com/en/products/t ... rrency=GBP

Tom

Thanks Tom. Interesting what you say about the temperature, only if they behave like that I don;t think it is acceptable really, they should work in any temperature/weather. I had another look at mine today and the struts just do not help the tailgate to lift at all, I have to push it all the way up myself, right to the end and it will only just stay there. Strange ow they are failing after only a few months and I haven't used the tailgate much either.
T.M.

Post by T.M. »

pbar wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 3:05 pm ...they should work in any temperature/weather...
Of course. :agree: But they are better than my old ones. And they hold tailgate with no problems.

pbar wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 3:05 pm ...I have to push it all the way up myself, right to the end and it will only just stay there. Strange ow they are failing after only a few months and I haven't used the tailgate much either.
It is possible that only one strut failed. You could try to disconnect one and then another if there is any difference in their operation.

Tom
pbar

Post by pbar »

I did wonder if it is just one which has failed, not sure how I can test for that, I'll have a think on how to experiment.

I'm pleased that you are still happy with yours Tom.
T.M.

Post by T.M. »

Hope you will sort it out easily. ;)

Tom
pbar

Post by pbar »

I've had another look today to see if there's anything obvious but they will barely even hold the tailgate up now. I shall contact Tickover in the hope that they will help.
pbar

Post by pbar »

Well Tickover have been really good and as these come with a 12 month guarantee have sent out a replacement pair. He did explain how rare it is to have an issue so am hoping I've just been unlucky and the new ones will be fine. Thumbs up for Tickover.
andyd
Car(s): 1981 XR3

Post by andyd »

pbar wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 2:02 pm Well Tickover have been really good and as these come with a 12 month guarantee have sent out a replacement pair. He did explain how rare it is to have an issue so am hoping I've just been unlucky and the new ones will be fine. Thumbs up for Tickover.
Great news Paul :cool:

Do you have to return the faulty pair to Tickover?
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser,
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

Post by Fordoholic Nick »

pbar wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 2:02 pm Well Tickover have been really good and as these come with a 12 month guarantee have sent out a replacement pair. He did explain how rare it is to have an issue so am hoping I've just been unlucky and the new ones will be fine. Thumbs up for Tickover.
Great news Paul. Glad all seems to be in order now hopefully the new struts will be fine. Clive runs Tickover Online himself now and is always very helpful.
I was born a Fordoholic, They'll bury me a Fordoholic...
T.M.

Post by T.M. »

Hi,
great! ;)

Tom
T.M.

Post by T.M. »

Hi,
yesterday I've done some minor work on Capri, so I also checked struts and ......... one is leaking oil.
It is because I said before they are like new. :lol:

Tom