Tailgate Struts

Capri Parts For Sale and Wanted
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Re: Tailgate Struts

Post by pbar »

GT4 wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 9:28 am Found these on Tickover, looks like they come with the rear screen connections as well.
https://www.tickover.co.uk/shop/content ... /d393.html

Thanks again, I have ordered these :)

(Third time lucky!)
andyd
Car(s): 1981 XR3

Post by andyd »

pbar wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 8:30 pm
GT4 wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 9:28 am Found these on Tickover, looks like they come with the rear screen connections as well.

Thanks again, I have ordered these :)

(Third time lucky!)
I think you'll be safe with these Paul :cool:
pbar

Post by pbar »

Thanks Andy, here's hoping!
pbar

Post by pbar »

I received and fitted the Tickover ones, unfortunately they don't work properly. One side has perfect conductivity when open but non at all when closed, so that's no good obviously. The other one has poor conductivity whether open or closed.

I've done lots of tests and it is definitely the struts at fault, must just be poorly made/quality. Waiting for them to ring me back about it.
T.M.
Car(s): Capri 2.8 Injection (1984)

Post by T.M. »

Hi Paul,
that isn't good news... I just want to order them from Tickover. :-/

Previously I wanted to order them from Motomobil, but they are out of stock now.
https://www.motomobil.com/en/products/t ... 41345330-1

Tom
pbar

Post by pbar »

I spoke to Tickover today Tom, they are sending me another pair, hopefully mine were a one off. So if you can wait a few days I'll let you know how I go on.
pbar

Post by pbar »

T.M. wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 5:41 pm Hi Paul,
that isn't good news... I just want to order them from Tickover. :-/

Previously I wanted to order them from Motomobil, but they are out of stock now.
https://www.motomobil.com/en/products/t ... 41345330-1

Tom
Well my replacements arrived today (I have to say, Tickover have been brilliant about this), and I've put them on the car and they work perfectly. Very smooth and quiet when lifting the tailgate and properly working wiper and demister. I would recommend them.

They are slightly longer than the original ones, not much, (maybe 10mm between the holes) and it doesn't really matter, but just in case that might bother you, if it only just clears a garage roof for example, it may now catch it with the new struts. It's nice that they have the same appearance as the orignals too, being black and chrome, as many of the others are all black. The originals have a small rubber sleeve at the top end, for some unknown reason, you could always fit tubing or heatshrink to emulate this, if it's a concern.

Good luck Tom, as said I'd certainly receommend them, really glad that I appear to be sorted at last. Thumbs up for Tickover.
andyd
Car(s): 1981 XR3

Post by andyd »

Hi Paul,

Glad you got it sorted at last :cool:
pbar

Post by pbar »

Thank you Andy, it was a right load of palava that one! But still, you learn a lot along the way, and that's always invaluable.
T.M.

Post by T.M. »

pbar wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 4:19 pm Well my replacements arrived today (I have to say, Tickover have been brilliant about this), and I've put them on the car and they work perfectly. Very smooth and quiet when lifting the tailgate and properly working wiper and demister. I would recommend them.

They are slightly longer than the original ones, not much, (maybe 10mm between the holes) and it doesn't really matter, but just in case that might bother you, if it only just clears a garage roof for example, it may now catch it with the new struts. It's nice that they have the same appearance as the orignals too, being black and chrome, as many of the others are all black. The originals have a small rubber sleeve at the top end, for some unknown reason, you could always fit tubing or heatshrink to emulate this, if it's a concern.

Good luck Tom, as said I'd certainly receommend them, really glad that I appear to be sorted at last. Thumbs up for Tickover.

Hi Paul,
thanks for detailed answer! ;)
It's a good news, well done!

But now Tickover have struts out of stock too. Bad luck for me... :lol:

Hopefully they will again in stock soon...

Tom
pbar

Post by pbar »

They got some more in on Friday Tom, so worth phoning them, maybe the site just isn't up to date.
T.M.

Post by T.M. »

pbar wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 6:26 pm They got some more in on Friday Tom, so worth phoning them, maybe the site just isn't up to date.
Ok, thanks! I try it. ;)

Tom
pbar

Post by pbar »

They're showing as being back in stock on the website now Tom.
T.M.

Post by T.M. »

pbar wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 8:51 am They're showing as being back in stock on the website now Tom.
I saw it yesterday. ;-)
I wrote them, how is it with delivery to CZ, because on eshop there is only UK or Ireland as destination country.

Tom
T.M.

Post by T.M. »

pbar wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 8:51 am They're showing as being back in stock on the website now Tom.
Just ordered. ;)

Tom
pbar

Post by pbar »

Brilliant! Hope all goes well, surprisingly easy to fit.
T.M.

Post by T.M. »

Hi,
struts were delivered last week. ;)

I measured conductivity and it was strange. I can't push it in by hand of course, but it also depends on how I push piston to side. Some position excellent conductivity, some zero. Same when I add it on car, dramatical changes during opening and closing tailgate.
BUT I put conectors on it and wiper and demister works ok. Made few tests and no problem, no intermit in moving of wiper or stop working of demister. :) It's interesting.

So I will observe it and I will see. Also have ordered set from Motomobil, but they have 620N and will be available in 3 months.

Tom
pbar

Post by pbar »

T.M. wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 9:32 pm I measured conductivity and it was strange.

Yes, mine gave strange readings on a multimeter also, and Clive at Tickover mentioned this too. Not sure why but for some reason they do seem to create a multimeter anomaly. However, using some makeshift wiring and a bulb/battery as a test, the bulb does light every time, no matter what the multimeter reads, so they do conduct.

Don't forget though, that there are no struts which are manufactured as being conductive, and you can't buy them as such. It is just that these ones, for whatever reason, happen to be conductive and so Capri owners are fitting them, and Tickover do seem to be the only place which supply with the connectors too. Clive was very helpful.

And of course it's the closed position which matters. In contrast to these, the original struts show perfect conductivity on a multimeter, all the time, no matter what. As long as they work though, that's all that matters, you have a wiper which parks and the heated window works so, good news!
SCP440
Car(s): Capri Ghia MK3 3.0, Jensen Interceptor MK3, ZTT 260 V8

Post by SCP440 »

I had a set of these Tickover struts a month ago as my old ones were totally nadged, I tested there conductivty on a multi meter and they showed that they were unlikely to work but I fitted them anyway. The rear wiper parks and the rear screen seems to demist. Very odd.

I have not tested my old ones but I will when I get 5 mins.
T.M.

Post by T.M. »

pbar wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 2:21 pm
Yes, mine gave strange readings on a multimeter also, and Clive at Tickover mentioned this too. Not sure why but for some reason they do seem to create a multimeter anomaly. However, using some makeshift wiring and a bulb/battery as a test, the bulb does light every time, no matter what the multimeter reads, so they do conduct.

Ok, so it's all right, obviously you both tested it properly. Same results as mine and everything works. I'm happy with that! ;)
Like you said Clive is very helpful with everything, he's good guy.

Motomobil also guarantees conductivity, they know that Capri needs it, but I was worried about that 620N. It could be maybe too much when you want close tailgate. In past they had in stock 550N for tailgate with rear spoiler and 500N for tailgate without spoiler. And now only option from them is 620N.
But nevermind, I don't need it, because I have propper working 550N struts from Tickover. :)

Tom