Tailgate Struts

Capri Parts For Sale and Wanted
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Tailgate Struts

Post by pbar »

Just wondering if anyone has a pair of good condition tailgate struts please. The ball fitment type for a Laser. Thanks.
andyd
Car(s): 1981 XR3

Re: Tailgate Struts

Post by andyd »

I bought from Martin http://www.fordcapriforum.com/forum/vie ... hp?t=50790

Worth a try he may still have them? If not these on Ebay https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/304248575887 ... Sw3FZdlu~A

:goodluck:
pbar

Post by pbar »

Thank you Andy. Please see reply to you in the other section :)
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Hi Paul,
CCI offer replacements on an exchange basis.
https://www.capriclub.co.uk/Tailgate_St ... t--32.html

Andrew.
pbar

Post by pbar »

Andrew 2.8i wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 12:59 pm Hi Paul,
CCI offer replacements on an exchange basis.
https://www.capriclub.co.uk/Tailgate_St ... t--32.html

Andrew.

Thanks Andrew. I did glance at that earlier but it states that it depends on re-gassing your current ones, and I assume CCI would have the same issues as SGS, or I wonder if CCI even send them to SGS to have them done. Which would mean the same issue, I send them mine and have to pay to get them back ungassed again?

It's very confusing actually.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

pbar wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 1:12 pm Thanks Andrew. I did glance at that earlier but it states that it depends on re-gassing your current ones, and I assume CCI would have the same issues as SGS, or I wonder if CCI even send them to SGS to have them done. Which would mean the same issue, I send them mine and have to pay to get them back ungassed again?

It's very confusing actually.
The way I understand it, you buy a pair of struts at the higher price. You then send them yours and, on successful regassing of your old units, they reimburse you the surcharge.
It did cross my mind that they would send them off to SGS, but they would presumably receive the same negative response that you received from them.
You could always call CCI to discuss any questions you may have.

If you buy a second hand set of struts that have not recently been regassed, they may not be much better than the ones you currently have.

Andrew.
pbar

Post by pbar »

Andrew 2.8i wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 2:10 pm
The way I understand it, you buy a pair of struts at the higher price. You then send them yours and, on successful regassing of your old units, they reimburse you the surcharge.

If you buy a second hand set of struts that have not recently been regassed, they may not be much better than the ones you currently have.

Yes I've been re-reading that again from CCI, and as you rightly say, you get the reimbursement if they regas them, which I assume, would fail. So that leaves me the option of simply buying them from CCI, which I think are a whopping £120 plus postage.

If I did buy 'proper' Capri ones from elsewhere I'd have to check with the seller that they are working, as you rightly point out. I did buy a pair from someone on here, as replacements for my original ones, and they were fine. However, that was circe 2013 and they've also grown weak now.

To continue a running in joke on here, I don't think the CCI ones are reasonable! But the ebay ones Andy linked to at £39 are reasonable. Just need to check on how the electrical tabs fasten to those.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

pbar wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 2:25 pm But the ebay ones Andy linked to at £39 are reasonable. Just need to check on how the electrical tabs fasten to those.
The worst case scenario is that you can join the two electrical connectors with a length of wire.
It's not a neat solution, but will work and is certainly cheap.
The Ebay seller states that the struts are conductive, it's just a matter of fixing the male spade connectors in position.

Andrew.
pbar

Post by pbar »

Andrew 2.8i wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 2:32 pm
pbar wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 2:25 pm But the ebay ones Andy linked to at £39 are reasonable. Just need to check on how the electrical tabs fasten to those.
The worst case scenario is that you can join the two electrical connectors with a length of wire.
It's not a neat solution, but will work and is certainly cheap.
The Ebay seller states that the struts are conductive, it's just a matter of fixing the male spade connectors in position.

Andrew.
Yes I could fabricate/bodge a way, I just like to retain originality though really, if possible. That's something which will only get harder as these cars grow older I know.

I have asked that ebay seller about the tabs, and he wrongly states that you unscrew the electrical tab from the old one and reposition on the new one. So that puts me off a little bit as it's just not right. They are ringed connectors which are sandwiched in place but I don't see how that can apply on the 'thin' end of the ebay struts as they are not the same. But still, I could fashion something, would probably be worth it as they are cheap enough, if they work.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

pbar wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 2:35 pm I have asked that ebay seller about the tabs, and he wrongly states that you unscrew the electrical tab from the old one and reposition on the new one. So that puts me off a little bit as it's just not right. They are ringed connectors which are sandwiched in place but I don't see how that can apply on the 'thin' end of the ebay struts as they are not the same.
Could you use a die to make a short length of thread and use a nut to hold the ringed connector in place?

Andrew.
pbar

Post by pbar »

That would seem a viable solution Andrew. A suitably sized star washer would achieve the same result too. Or even just electrical tape wrapped around the end, this would actually emulate the originals as they have a black plastic/rubber sleeve which the ringed connector is sandwiched against. This sleeve may even come off I don't know yet.

I have asked Martin if he has options too, then I'll decide what to buy.

Seems like many owners have had tailgate strut quandaries, it would be nice to find an all encompassing solution or two.
D366Y
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1986 Laser 1.6, daily runaround project
1981 GL Auto 2.0, Barn-Find-Resto, now also a runaround project
1980 3.0S, crash damage resto
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Currently full up and no more space but I still want a 2.8...

Post by D366Y »

pbar wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 2:25 pm

To continue a running in joke on here, I don't think the CCI ones are reasonable! But the ebay ones Andy linked to at £39 are reasonable. Just need to check on how the electrical tabs fasten to those.
That is certainly not reasonable!
For £120 I'd hope they'd be plated in some kind of precious metal at least??
A wise man once said... "you can never have too many capris - buy another" :beer:
It's me, I'm the wise man.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

D366Y wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 2:52 pm That is certainly not reasonable!
Depends on who you ask ! :xd:

Andrew.
pbar

Post by pbar »

D366Y wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 2:52 pm For £120 I'd hope they'd be plated in some kind of precious metal at least??

And I've just checked and it's a whopping £18 for postage too. Granted, you do get £50 back if they can re-use your old ones. Although you would have to pay to send them there (which cost me around £6 with tracking to send to SGS so not sure where CCI get £18 from) and if they fail to regas then I assume you would have to pay £18 again to have them sent back.
pbar

Post by pbar »

Andrew 2.8i wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 2:57 pm

Andrew.

I know who NOT to ask! :)
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

These look identical to the Ebay ones, are the correct size and are £4 cheaper.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Springs-Conver ... C63&sr=8-3

Andrew.
pbar

Post by pbar »

Even more reasonable! Thanks Andrew, I appreciate it. Yes they do seem very similar to the ebay ones. Certainly another viable option.
D366Y
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1986 Laser 1.6, daily runaround project
1981 GL Auto 2.0, Barn-Find-Resto, now also a runaround project
1980 3.0S, crash damage resto
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Currently full up and no more space but I still want a 2.8...

Post by D366Y »

pbar wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 3:03 pm
Andrew 2.8i wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 2:57 pm

Andrew.

I know who NOT to ask! :)
What I do now know is that I need whatever job Andrew has - apparently he makes millions!! :lol:
A wise man once said... "you can never have too many capris - buy another" :beer:
It's me, I'm the wise man.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

D366Y wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 4:43 pm What I do now know is that I need whatever job Andrew has - apparently he makes millions!! :lol:
There's always plenty of jobs going - because it's the home of the oppressed and impoverished worker! :D

Andrew.
Not_Anumber
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Just sold 1983 2.8 Injection 5 speed. Currently restoring another classic Previously owned 2 Capris. Likely to own another at some point

Post by Not_Anumber »

Have you tried Capri Jake on the other forum. I got a set from him a couple of years ago, just had to swap over the electrical connectors and ends from the old ones and it was done. The tailgate opens half an inch or so higher than with the original gas struts which is no bad thing.