Tailgate Struts

Capri Parts For Sale and Wanted
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Re: Tailgate Struts

Post by pbar »

Not_Anumber wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 7:16 pm Have you tried Capri Jake on the other forum. I got a set from him a couple of years ago, just had to swap over the electrical connectors and ends from the old ones and it was done. The tailgate opens half an inch or so higher than with the original gas struts which is no bad thing.

I haven't no, but thanks for the suggestion, will keep it in mind. I'd probably rather go for the ebay ones though, as the ends appear to be correct which means I can keep my originals intact (assuming I get them back)!
pbar

Post by pbar »

Andrew 2.8i wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 2:10 pm It did cross my mind that they would send them off to SGS

As a point of interest, as we have been talking about this, SGS proclaim that they are 'the only company in the UK to offer a gas strut re-gassing service'. With that in mind (and choosing to not debate it), it would mean that CCI do sub-contract their orders for re-gassing to them, unless they send them overseas somewhere which I just can't imagine.
pbar

Post by pbar »

Not_Anumber wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 7:16 pm Have you tried Capri Jake on the other forum. I got a set from him a couple of years ago, just had to swap over the electrical connectors and ends from the old ones and it was done. The tailgate opens half an inch or so higher than with the original gas struts which is no bad thing.

I did check that out, thank you. Can't believe how many pairs he has sold, shows how large the scale of the issue is. Think he has gone to ground with it now though.

Actually, the slightly higher opening may be an issue for some, as, if parked in a garage and dependant on the car position, tailgate just misses the roof/beams, and could hit it if opens beyond standard!
GT4
Car(s): 2.8 injection special

Post by GT4 »

Found these on Tickover, looks like they come with the rear screen connections as well.
https://www.tickover.co.uk/shop/content ... /d393.html
pbar

Post by pbar »

GT4 wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 9:28 am Found these on Tickover, looks like they come with the rear screen connections as well.
https://www.tickover.co.uk/shop/content ... /d393.html

Great, thanks, I never thought to look at Tickover! And they are the first ones I've seen for sale which are not only conductive but also have the connecting tabs. It's good to know that a couple of places do sell the conductive ones.
pbar

Post by pbar »

andyd wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 12:49 pm these on Ebay https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/304248575887 ... Sw3FZdlu~A
:goodluck:

Thank you Andy, I have bought these, looking forward to them arriving :)
andyd
Car(s): 1981 XR3

Post by andyd »

pbar wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 7:29 pm
andyd wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 12:49 pm these on Ebay https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/304248575887 ... Sw3FZdlu~A

Thank you Andy, I have bought these, looking forward to them arriving :)
Ok Paul :cool:

It says they are conductive so hopefully ok. (If not PM me don't rubbish me on here) :lol:
pbar

Post by pbar »

Well I have received the struts from the seller. And they are not correct. They are a different size than the Capri ones, and in fact have a part number of 4m51a406a10ab, which are for a focus, and it even states that on the packet. These Focus struts are quite cheap to buy so it would appear that the ebay seller is buying these cheaper struts and selling them off as Capri ones? They are all black too, and don't have the appearance of the ones in his ebay picture.
andyd

Post by andyd »

pbar wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 2:00 pm Well I have received the struts from the seller. And they are not correct. They are a different size than the Capri ones, and in fact have a part number of 4m51a406a10ab, which are for a focus, and it even states that on the packet. These Focus struts are quite cheap to buy so it would appear that the ebay seller is buying these cheaper struts and selling them off as Capri ones? They are all black too, and don't have the appearance of the ones in his ebay picture.
What a nightmare Paul :doh:

He has good feedback for the others he has sold, and I would have thought someone would have said something by now if they had the same ones as you have received.

I know it's hassle but send them back for a refund, or replacement as it might be a genuine mistake.

pbar

Post by pbar »

andyd wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 3:27 pm

He has good feedback for the others he has sold

Thanks Andy. I really question the authenticity of a lot of ebay feedback. For example, all you have to do is to get your mates to 'buy' your items, then they can instantly leave great feedback and get the numbers up.

I have contacted the seller, but I guess that it will go the way of an ebay dispute (seller does not accept 'returns', funny that) as they are not as described or like the ones in the pic. Although I haven't tested them yet, I can't see how they can be conductive either.
andyd

Post by andyd »

pbar wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 3:36 pm
andyd wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 3:27 pm

He has good feedback for the others he has sold

Thanks Andy. I really question the authenticity of a lot of ebay feedback. For example, all you have to do is to get your mates to 'buy' your items, then they can instantly leave great feedback and get the numbers up.

I have contacted the seller, but I guess that it will go the way of an ebay dispute (seller does not accept 'returns', funny that) as they are not as described or like the ones in the pic. Although I haven't tested them yet, I can't see how they can be conductive either.
You're right Paul, who knows what goes on.

Ebay will sort it out, just a pain ;)
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

pbar wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 3:36 pm I have contacted the seller, but I guess that it will go the way of an ebay dispute (seller does not accept 'returns', funny that)
That's disappointing, I'm sorry to hear that the struts aren't as described by the seller.
In this situation I usually open a dispute pretty sharpish as the first stage of the resolution process is to wait a period of time for the seller to respond. There's no point waiting once, opening a dispute then having to wait even longer if the seller doesn't respond.

Ebay want to make their marketplace attractive to buyers, so the onus of proof is usually on the seller. All you need to do is to take a photo of the struts and upload it with the dispute. Ultimate proof that the struts aren't as described, I can't imagine that the seller would have any other option other than to give a full refund.

Andrew.
pbar

Post by pbar »

Thanks for your advice Andrew, appreciated as always. I have contacted the seller already as I believe that's the first/right thing to do, (as Andy says it could be an error, will offer the benefit of the doubt) then wait 24 hours for a response I think, then I can refer to ebay. I won't hang around though, as you rightly say it's best to be quick.

The Focus struts are very cheap to buy, so on the face of it, it would appear that the seller is buying those then selling them off as Capri struts?

This seller has no contact details which I can find (some ebay sellers show their address/contact details as I'm show you know), but the struts themselves come in a sealed packet with a less4spares.co.uk label on them, with Ford Focus details. I checked them for size and they're smaller.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

pbar wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 4:43 pm This seller has no contact details which I can find (some ebay sellers show their address/contact details as I'm show you know)
Yes, business sellers are required by Ebay to display their contact details within the listing.
As this seller has 7 pairs of "Capri" struts in their listing, and are evidently buying items to resell - they should be regarded as a business seller.

There's no question that you are entitled to a full refund including postage and return postage, even if the seller has a policy of no returns.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/help/policies/eb ... cy?id=4210
https://www.ebay.co.uk/help/policies/eb ... -described

Andrew.
pbar

Post by pbar »

Thanks again Andrew. Well, not surprisingly the scammer/seller has not responded to my message. I have therefore initiated an ebay dispute. I have to wait for 7 days now which is a pain before I can ask them to step in further. So will see what happens.

I must admit that I was dubious before I bought them, Capri struts are not the easist part to find yet this ebay seller seemed to have endless pairs. Now I know why.

Can only assume the feedback is indeed fake, I noticed they were not right as soon as I opened the packet.
pbar

Post by pbar »

Also, I tested these for conductivity, out of curiousity, and they are not even conductive. Goodness knows what planet this seller is on.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

pbar wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 5:11 pm Goodness knows what planet this seller is on.
More evidence, if any were needed, that the seller misdescribed the struts in the listing. Thus strengthening your case for a full refund from the seller.

Perhaps the buyers who left feedback for these did so without really looking at the struts they had received. I noticed that a couple of buyers stated that these are longer than the originals but still fitted them.

Andrew.
pbar

Post by pbar »

Quite possible Andrew. Mine are shorter than the proper Capri ones, seems to be pot luck as to what you may be sent.

There is a twist to the tale - turns out that I personally know the ebay seller.

You couldn't make it up could you.
D366Y
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1986 Laser 1.6, daily runaround project
1981 GL Auto 2.0, Barn-Find-Resto, now also a runaround project
1980 3.0S, crash damage resto
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Currently full up and no more space but I still want a 2.8...

Post by D366Y »

The only good news is that eBay are usually pretty good with disputes - I got some wheel covers once (the same stuff Tom B has on his wheels, whatever the proper name is) and the seller guaranteed me that they would fit a Capri, they arrived and they were clearly for a fiesta as they weren't deep enough, I immediately asked for a return, he said no, started a dispute and said they were misadvertised and they gave me the money back pretty quick
A wise man once said... "you can never have too many capris - buy another" :beer:
It's me, I'm the wise man.
pbar

Post by pbar »

D366Y wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 7:41 am I immediately asked for a return, he said no, started a dispute and said they were misadvertised and they gave me the money back pretty quick

Ebay's arbitration system does seem to favour the buyer from the off, but you seemed to have a clear cut case Danny, as I did too. Looks like the threat of ebay's dispute process was enough in my case, as the seller has issued a refund.