Tailgate Struts

Capri Parts For Sale and Wanted
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser Mercury Grey 1987 hobby .
Mercedes Vito tourer 2.1 Big Bus Daily Driver

Re: Tailgate Struts

Post by Jasonmarie »

T.M. wrote: Sat Oct 22, 2022 2:07 pm Hi,
yesterday I've done some minor work on Capri, so I also checked struts and ......... one is leaking oil.
It is because I said before they are like new. :lol:

Tom
That’s Sod’s law :lol: :lol: I won’t check mine then :lol: :cool:
Ford Capri 2.0 Laser 1987 Mercury Grey ....... :beer:
T.M.
Car(s): Capri 2.8 Injection (1984)

Post by T.M. »

Jasonmarie wrote: Sat Oct 22, 2022 4:22 pm I won’t check mine then :lol: :cool:
Very good idea! ;)

Tom
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Post by pbar »

andyd wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 3:22 pm
Great news Paul :cool:

Do you have to return the faulty pair to Tickover?

Thank you Andy. I haven't been asked to return the faulty ones but I shall keep them to one side just in case. Excellent service from Tickover.
pbar

Post by pbar »

Fordoholic Nick wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 3:36 pm
Great news Paul. Glad all seems to be in order now hopefully the new struts will be fine. Clive runs Tickover Online himself now and is always very helpful.

Thanks Nick, yes hoping the new ones will be the everlasting fix! I agree, Clive is a good 'un.
pbar

Post by pbar »

T.M. wrote: Sat Oct 22, 2022 2:07 pm yesterday I've done some minor work on Capri, so I also checked struts and ......... one is leaking oil.

Sorry to hear that Tom, have you contacted Tickover about it, I'm sure that Clive will help. As you bought yours at a similar time to me, it is possible that it was a faulty batch as Andy suggested, as Tickover have had great success with these. I guess it's possible that they could have a short lifespan and people just haven't been bothered to complain or mention it though. But hoping my new ones will be ok.

Just for info, I have since found another source for these, from a chap who is a member on Capri Power, very cheap price too, these have also had good reports -

https://krisdupreysgarage.com/products/ ... te-struts/
T.M.

Post by T.M. »

pbar wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2022 4:23 pm Sorry to hear that Tom, have you contacted Tickover about it, I'm sure that Clive will help. As you bought yours at a similar time to me, it is possible that it was a faulty batch as Andy suggested, as Tickover have had great success with these. I guess it's possible that they could have a short lifespan and people just haven't been bothered to complain or mention it though. But hoping my new ones will be ok.

Just for info, I have since found another source for these, from a chap who is a member on Capri Power, very cheap price too, these have also had good reports -

https://krisdupreysgarage.com/products/ ... te-struts/
Hi,
no, I haven't connected Clive yet. I will see. I don't know how it is with the "brexit" taxes. If Clive send me new struts for free I think I still pay it.

Maybe I try that ones from Motomobil when they have them on stock. And then I could report here if it's ok with that higher force or not. ;)

Tom
pbar

Post by pbar »

T.M. wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2022 6:39 pm I don't know how it is with the "brexit" taxes. If Clive send me new struts for free I think I still pay it.
Maybe I try that ones from Motomobil

Won't that work out more expensive though Tom? Surely the Brexit tax (if applicable) would be far cheaper than buying new Motormobil ones.
T.M.

Post by T.M. »

pbar wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2022 7:02 pm Won't that work out more expensive though Tom? Surely the Brexit tax (if applicable) would be far cheaper than buying new Motormobil ones.
Yes, of course. :agree:

But I'm afraid It will be same with new ones from Tickover and then Motomobil will be out of stock again...

Tom
pbar

Post by pbar »

T.M. wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2022 7:12 pm
But I'm afraid It will be same with new ones from Tickover

Fair enough Tom. I think it's possible that a lot of people don't report it which might be why Tickover are not so aware of any issues.
pbar

Post by pbar »

Just a thought Tom, but if you don't want replacements Tickover might give a refund, as they do offer a 12 month guarantee for these, which you can then put towards your Motormobil ones.
T.M.

Post by T.M. »

pbar wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2022 7:55 pm Just a thought Tom, but if you don't want replacements Tickover might give a refund, as they do offer a 12 month guarantee for these, which you can then put towards your Motormobil ones.
Ok, I didn't think of that. Maybe I will try it. ;)

Tom
pbar

Post by pbar »

Unfortunately, I have found my replacement pair to be non conductive, Tickover has suggested that I return them for a refund which I have done, as I had three pairs in total whch I have a problem with. I must have just been unlucky with them.

Think I shall try the Kris Duprey ones next then.
T.M.

Post by T.M. »

Hi Paul,
it isn't good news...

Try another source is probably good idea.

Tom
pbar

Post by pbar »

Yes Tom, I think I shall try the Kris Duprey ones now. Have you decided what to do yet?
T.M.

Post by T.M. »

I will try Motomobil struts so we will have another source explored. ;)

Tom
pbar

Post by pbar »

T.M. wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 6:58 pm I will try Motomobil struts so we will have another source explored. ;)
Fair enough :) Have you contacted Tickover about them?
T.M.

Post by T.M. »

Not yet. End of 1 year warranty is far away. :)

Tom
pbar

Post by pbar »

Fair enough Tom. I wouldn't leave it too long though, a complaint has more gravitas the sooner it is reported. Plus, who knows, a business might cease trading or something.

I am waiting for the Kris Duprey ones to arrive, so will see what they are like!
pbar

Post by pbar »

Tickover recieved the returned struts today and just as promised, issued a full refund. Including postage, and including my return postage too. You can certainly buy with confidence from Tickover, top marks.
T.M.

Post by T.M. »

Hi,
so Motomobil struts are on Capri. They are made by Triscan and it looks like they are made specialy for Motomobil, because on label there are under part number written "Motomobil".
Struts are 620N. Force feels higher than with Tickover struts but not big difference. Looks ok, they open tailgate very well. ;)

Electrical conductivity is made by spring (or something), which is put inside piston chamber. When I rotated with strut I heard that something is moving inside.
When I measured el. condictivity there is no conductivity, when spring was on the opposie side of chamber than piston. When I turn strut, so spring moves and touch piston, there were el. conductivity.
So on car when tailgate is opened, struts are streched out but spring moves down and touch piston, so el. conductivity is there. When tailgate is closed, struts are compressed and piston press spring against end of piston chamber, so el. conductivity is also there.
Only when tailgate is opened very slowly there is position, when spring isn't in contact with piston and not moves down yet, so in this moment there is no conductivity. It is downside of this solution.

So struts are ok, but we will see how they work in half a year. :)

Tom