Tailgate Struts

Capri Parts For Sale and Wanted
Caprigear
Donator
Donator

Re: Tailgate Struts

Post by Caprigear »

If you fit struts that are too strong then there's every chance that you will rip off the mountings on the sides of the tailgate, I've seen it!
T.M.
Car(s): Capri 2.8 Injection (1984)

Post by T.M. »

Caprigear wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 9:05 pm If you fit struts that are too strong then there's every chance that you will rip off the mountings on the sides of the tailgate, I've seen it!
Really?? :shock:
Thank you for the warning!

Tom
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

T.M. wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 5:39 am Really?? :shock:
Thank you for the warning!
Crikey, that is an eye opener! I wonder if it would be OK as long as you don't allow the tailgate to open on it's own? Maybe it's when it stops suddenly at the end of the travel when the damage occurs?

Andrew.
T.M.

Post by T.M. »

Andrew 2.8i wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 5:13 pm Maybe it's when it stops suddenly at the end of the travel when the damage occurs?
Yes, it could be. But many new struts have damping on last few centimetres (also my new struts), so it go slow to end position.
Or it could also happen when you try to close tailgate and you have to force it against strong struts...

Tom
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Post by pbar »

T.M. wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 6:55 pm Yes, it could be. But many new struts have damping on last few centimetres (also my new struts), so it go slow to end position.

That's a good point yes. Also it could be that the extra 'force' could deteriorate them over a period of time? I was a little worried that the replacement struts are slightly longer, meaning perhaps extra strain on the tailgate hinges. But Tickover have sold a lot of these (as in the hundreds) so I guess they must be ok.
T.M.

Post by T.M. »

pbar wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 7:54 pm ... so I guess they must be ok.
Hopefully yes...

Tom