SGS Engineering Re-gassing

You can RANT and RAVE to your hearts content here instead of clogging up the Q&A Technical Forum!
Report any offensive posts to [email protected]
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Re: SGS Engineering Re-gassing

Post by pbar »

andyd wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 5:43 am I would prefer £20 payment and put that towards a set from Martin or maybe those on ebay as it says they are conductive.

Like Nick, the ones I bought from Martin were great so if he has them :cool:

Thanks Andy. I did try Martin but I don't think he has them.

The ebay ones you linked to would, in hindsight (which is a terrible thing!) be my preferred choice, and I might still get those yet, the seller has plenty in stock.

I did try a refund or credit note from SGS but it was made clear that the only thing I can have is a concession on a new pair. As these are normally around £60 I think it's a good saving so I've opted for them, will see what arrives! If I can come up with a neat/simple solution for the conductive issue (I have a couple of ideas) then I'll use them, in fact that would be better for future proofing as many places sell the struts but the conductive ones are much harder to get, I can only see that getting worse in the future. And if not, then I'll pass them on to someone else or ebay them,they will be a cheap brand new replacement for someone who needs them.
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Post by pbar »

Mc Tool wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 10:36 pm I have fitted a bit of rubber concertina hose with a gromet sorta thing on one end(off a dishwasher ) ,about 3/8" in dia that goes from under (over ) the rear of the hood lining and into a hole in the top of the hatch . I then re-routed the 2 wires that normally attach to the bottom of the struts thru this hose and on to the rear window heater ( which doesnt work properly as half the element strips are broken )and the windscreen wiper motor.
The whole reason I did this is because when I got the car both the wiper and the heater had been giving trouble and the previous owner ( my Uncle )said he had trouble with the struts , so I put 2 and 2 together and wandered off down the wrong track ,blamed the struts for not maintaining continuity and rewired the whole plot. Needless to say it didnt work and I wound up cleaning the wiper motor internal contacts and sussed the heater element was crook.

I see, thanks for clearing that up. That's dedication for you, sacrificing a dishwasher for the car :)

One question though, if you thought the struts might have been the issue, why not just check their continuity with a multimeter or just connect a wire to the tabs at either either end as a test.
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1980 mk3 capri 2l ohc T9 , Toyota Blade Master 3.5l V6, Paso , 850T,rd400, 900ss

Post by Mc Tool »

Oh , I dunno ....over confidence , tunnel vision :xd: . When my Uncle said he had issues with the struts I ASSUMED ( yeah ,I know ) that he meant electrical ( coz the wipers and heater were duff ) not that he had had the struts re-gassed before.
Sometimes I talk to myself ... and we both have a good laugh