Why? Just why?

You can RANT and RAVE to your hearts content here instead of clogging up the Q&A Technical Forum!
Report any offensive posts to [email protected]
Bug
Car(s): Some

Why? Just why?

Post by Bug »

Few years back now I decided to sell my beloved 2.8i Special (D200 TNJ) after about 26 years as it wasn't getting used and held too many memories of a previous life.
It went to a chap up north near Newcastle somewhere who put it in his air conditioned garage, between an old Series 1 Landy and an Aston V8 Vantage.

Yesterday he emailed me to say he'd finally got it out of the garage, gave it a quick check over and went for an MOT. Straight through! No advisories! And lots of admiring comments from the tester.
Naturally I was chuffed, if a little sad to be reminded.
However, he has now put is own reg on it, fitted Ghia alloys, put a Ghia badge over each side indicator and badged it on the tailgate as a Capri 3.0 Ghia :?
When I asked why he said "Because I've always wanted one."
Strikes me as extremely odd. Oh well.

The wheels just look all wrong to me.
Attachments
Bob Davidson 2.jpg
Bob Davidson 1.jpg
Not_Anumber
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Just sold 1983 2.8 Injection 5 speed. Currently restoring another classic Previously owned 2 Capris. Likely to own another at some point

Re: Why? Just why?

Post by Not_Anumber »

If he wanted to make a mock 3.0 Ghia i wonder why he didnt start with a 4 cylinder car or at any rate something other than a pristine 2.8i Special.

Did he say if he is changing the interior too ?
Major_Tom
Car(s): 2.0S

Post by Major_Tom »

Part of car ownership is making it yours, but the question on my lips is... he always wanted a 3.0 Ghia.... sure ok, but that's still a 2.8 :headscratch:
I'm the one who leaves all those shoes in the carriageway.
Bug

Post by Bug »

He's keeping all the 2.8i interior including the genuine RS 4-spoke steering wheel I fitted.
I also think he's intending to keep the black windows.
It had no badging at all other than Ford badges front and back when I had it, so he could have left it like that.
Also had a nice set of 7-spoke alloys with RS centre caps.
20 Apr 2013 004.jpg
andyd
Car(s): 1981 XR3

Post by andyd »

Doesn't make sense to me :headscratch: Never keen on those alloys anyway, should have left it as a 2.8!!

I hope he's informed the insurance of the changes as we know what they can be like if a claim is made :?

I had a 3 Litre Ghia with 13" 7 spokes and a single pinstripe down the sides that a previous owner had put on it, it looked ok but I was always hearing "Look a 2.8 Capri" :lol:
Caprigear
Donator
Donator

Post by Caprigear »

End of the day it's his car to do with what he wishes. However strange, look on the bright side, he could have rattle canned it matt black and taken the bumpers off!
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser Mercury Grey 1987 hobby .
Mercedes Vito tourer 2.1 Big Bus Daily Driver

Post by Jasonmarie »

Caprigear wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 1:10 pm End of the day it's his car to do with what he wishes. However strange, look on the bright side, he could have rattle canned it matt black and taken the bumpers off!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :applaud:
Ford Capri 2.0 Laser 1987 Mercury Grey ....... :beer:
andyd
Car(s): 1981 XR3

Post by andyd »

Jasonmarie wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 1:27 pm
Caprigear wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 1:10 pm End of the day it's his car to do with what he wishes. However strange, look on the bright side, he could have rattle canned it matt black and taken the bumpers off!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :applaud:
What sort of :wank: would do that :roll:
Not_Anumber
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Just sold 1983 2.8 Injection 5 speed. Currently restoring another classic Previously owned 2 Capris. Likely to own another at some point

Post by Not_Anumber »

I wouldnt want to criticise his choice but 3.0 Ghias are available at similar money so there doesnt seem a financial reason to dress up a 2.8i Special, passing the car off as something it isnt.

Perhaps another way of going about it could have been to create a 2.8i Ghia . As far as I know Ford never made one but it could conceivably been possible for one to have been made up as a special order for a fussy customer: Appropriate looking 2.8 Ghia rear decal, Ghia side badging, re trimmed Ghia interior, Ghia wheels. Everything would then be appropriate for the badge on the back.
Bug

Post by Bug »

Caprigear wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 1:10 pm End of the day it's his car to do with what he wishes.
Aye that's true, and it had served it's time with me, so was ready for a new lease of life. It's back on the road and in some small way I'm glad that after all the miles we travelled in it together, it's still out there kind of keeping the first Mrs Wells' memory alive.

Though maybe I should have let Tom have it......................... :?
Major_Tom

Post by Major_Tom »

Previous owner rattle canned mine 8-)
Bug

Post by Bug »

Major_Tom wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 10:19 am Previous owner rattle canned mine 8-)
Wow! You've had it so long I thought you both came the production line together! :xd:
Major_Tom

Post by Major_Tom »

Bug wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 3:29 pm
Major_Tom wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 10:19 am Previous owner rattle canned mine 8-)
Wow! You've had it so long I thought you both came the production line together! :xd:
:lol: Bought it off him for £600. Happy days. Sometimes think about putting it back to cardinal red, but it's a lot more satisfying leaving cars in your wake when it looks like it should be on a scrapheap.
Bug

Post by Bug »

Major_Tom wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 4:38 pm
Bug wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 3:29 pm
:lol: Bought it off him for £600. Happy days. Sometimes think about putting it back to cardinal red, but it's a lot more satisfying leaving cars in your wake when it looks like it should be on a scrapheap.
See all these green nutters going on about buying eco-friendly cars....................well yours must have well and truly repaid its carbon footprint for being built by now. You even saved the planet by not wasting more money on paint!
And also, here's something to consider, the more fuel you use, the lighter the planet gets, so it becomes easier for it to spin through space, thus saving energy and making it last longer!
Use more petrol, save the planet!
skozra
Car(s): 1993 Volvo 240 Estate, 01 Subaru Impreza WRX Saloon, 86 Capri 2.8i (fitted with weber 38 carb) and an Audi A1

Post by skozra »

He should fit a black bonnet lip trim, grill and headlamp bezels to finish it off.
Bug

Post by Bug »

skozra wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 6:56 pm He should fit a black bonnet lip trim, grill and headlamp bezels to finish it off.
Yeah, except he'd probably have to pay more for a new bonnet lip trim than he paid me for the car!!! :xd: