Kurust ?!

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
Supercharged Nat
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Supercharged 2.1 (daily driver- when it works)

Kurust ?!

Post by Supercharged Nat »

Can anyone help me with a potential problem involving the use of hammerite kurust?

Ive bare metalled the front and rear valance of my capri and painted kurust over the whole thing. Now its dried the areas that appeared to be rust free and just shiney steel appear to have rusted! The areas that where rusty but cleaned to bare metal before the application of the kurust have turned a dark purple.

Now im cocerned ive got to strip the entire panels again?! I dont want to risk painting over this brown if it has rusted. Maybe i shouldnt have treated all the bare areas but it was difficult to distinguish the previously rusted areas, the rear panel was dotted all over with rust. The bottle didnt mention about not applying to non rusty areas, just not on paint as it would stain it.

The bottle says rusted areas that are being converted will turn blue / black (i guess dark purple falls inbetween)

Anyone got experienc of this stuff / off some advice?

https://i.postimg.cc/ht4YSsmx/20220220-091009.jpg

Cheers,
Nat.
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Re: Kurust ?!

Post by pbar »

Not sure if this helps but I once applied Jenolite (similar product to Kurust) on an area of non rusted steel and it turned it into a horrible tarnished mess. From that moment on I decided that these products are for use directly on rust only as they can adversely affect good steel. Is it possible to grind the after effects of the rust remover away to get it back to shiny steel. Also these products seem to work better when its warmer, or at least not in these arctic like conditions we endlessly seem to be having.
Lord Flasheart
Car(s): 3.0 Ghia

Post by Lord Flasheart »

From memory, when it does dry thoroughly, its only the very dark / black areas where its working on the oxidisation. Dont think purple really indicates its working on oxidised areas, just bare metal.

Its been a few years so I'm not 100%
andyd
Car(s): 1981 XR3

Post by andyd »

pbar wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 10:46 am Not sure if this helps but I once applied Jenolite (similar product to Kurust) on an area of non rusted steel and it turned it into a horrible tarnished mess. From that moment on I decided that these products are for use directly on rust only as they can adversely affect good steel. Is it possible to grind the after effects of the rust remover away to get it back to shiny steel. Also these products seem to work better when its warmer, or at least not in these arctic like conditions we endlessly seem to be having.
I used Jenolite on a couple of small rusty areas in the engine bay area on my Sierra and it turned dark blue ish.

Apart from discolouration I can't see it would affect non rusty areas it's just a pain, as you say try and grind or rub back to steel.
Supercharged Nat
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Supercharged 2.1 (daily driver- when it works)

Post by Supercharged Nat »

Thanks for the help guys, rightly or wrongly, i stripped back to bare metal (front valance and that patch in the photo) and then epoxy primed.

Will try and re-strip the rear valance and prime that in the week. Feels like time and energy wasted on that stuff!