How could they!

You can RANT and RAVE to your hearts content here instead of clogging up the Q&A Technical Forum!
Report any offensive posts to [email protected]
Peter-S
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1985 Capri 2.0
1983 Capri 2.8i

How could they!

Post by Peter-S »

Went down to my local garage today to book an MOT for the 2.0. And it's being knocked down :o
I took my first ever car there nearly 40 years ago and the 2.0 has been tested there every year since 2002. Seems like the brothers that ran it have called it a day as there is no suggestion they have moved. Shame, they were good blokes.
ImageBanner by Peter Smith, on Flickr
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Re: How could they!

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

It's always sad to hear of an "old school" garage that is no longer trading, especially when you've been using them for so long and presumably have many fond memories of the place.
All that knowledge and experience lost forever....
I hope you can find another garage who know their classics inside out, maybe somebody will come up with a recommendation or two.

Andrew.
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Post by pbar »

Peter-S wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 7:25 pm Went down to my local garage today to book an MOT for the 2.0. And it's being knocked down :o
Always a shame when something which has become part of ones life ends, especially after so long. But everything has an end. Hoping you know of a similar place for you to go Peter, who you can also trust and feel happy with.
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser Mercury Grey 1987 hobby .
Mercedes Vito tourer 2.1 Big Bus Daily Driver

Post by Jasonmarie »

It’s like Tickover going I am trying a new garage up the road for my MOT but still a worry if things are done right and how picky they may be . Did you say Peter you have been going there since the 1940s ? :lol:
Ford Capri 2.0 Laser 1987 Mercury Grey ....... :beer:
mjcapri
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Diamond White Granada 24v

Caspian Blue Sierra XR4i

Stealth Grey Focus RS

Storm Grey Fiesta ST200 (actually belongs to the missus!)

Mean Green Fiesta ST-3

Post by mjcapri »

Peter-S wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 7:25 pm Went down to my local garage today to book an MOT for the 2.0. And it's being knocked ;) down :o
I took my first ever car there nearly 40 years ago and the 2.0 has been tested there every year since 2002. Seems like the brothers that ran it have called it a day as there is no suggestion they have moved. Shame, they were good blokes.
What a shame. If you’re stuck my mate has MOT facilities at his garage not far from me! ;)
Peter-S
Donator
Donator
1983 Capri 2.8i

Post by Peter-S »

Jasonmarie wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 11:25 pm . Did you say Peter you have been going there since the 1940s ? :lol:
Yeah, weren't you their tea boy in those days :lol:
andyd
Car(s): 1981 XR3

Post by andyd »

Never good to lose experience like this :(

Hope you find somewhere you can trust.
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser,
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

Post by Fordoholic Nick »

Peter-S wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 9:19 am
Jasonmarie wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 11:25 pm . Did you say Peter you have been going there since the 1940s ? :lol:
Yeah, weren't you their tea boy in those days :lol:
More like Jason was their Lady Boy Peter :lol: :lol: :lol:

Mate that's so sad when things come to an end like this. I bet you looked forward to popping in every year for a chat and mot. Ive used the same place every year with B112 and hes very old skool which is getting harder and harder to find. I hope you find someone who aint a jack-arse who doesn't understand mot-ing an older car does require some common sense flexibility 👍
I was born a Fordoholic, They'll bury me a Fordoholic...
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator

Post by Jasonmarie »

I was Roger the cabin boy :lol: :lol: :lol: some duties were making the tea :lol: :lol:
Peter-S
Donator
Donator
1983 Capri 2.8i

Post by Peter-S »

mjcapri wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 1:35 am
Peter-S wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 7:25 pm Went down to my local garage today to book an MOT for the 2.0. And it's being knocked ;) down :o
What a shame. If you’re stuck my mate has MOT facilities at his garage not far from me! ;)
Perhaps in the summer when the 2.8 is due :lol:
Peter-S
Donator
Donator
1983 Capri 2.8i

Post by Peter-S »

andyd wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 9:48 am Never good to lose experience like this :(
Certainly isn't Andy, although I have been worried for a little while. Many years ago the garage was at the end of a country lane where it joined a main road. Then a shopping centre sprang up across the way on the main road and then a small housing development in the field opposite the garage. More housing is planned for just down the road. I've sat in their office looking at the housing and other stuff that never used to be there and thought it was a site ripe for development - it was an old fashioned sprawling place that hadn't changed in all the time I went there. The guys are probably a similar age to me, i.e. starting to mature a little! and I can imagine someone made a good offer. Can't blame them for accepting I guess.
I've found out the garage closed on 14th January and within 3 weeks its been knocked down. Time moves on :(
Peter-S
Donator
Donator
1983 Capri 2.8i

Post by Peter-S »

Fordoholic Nick wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 3:17 pm I bet you looked forward to popping in every year for a chat and mot.
I did really Nick, especially having the two cars I was in every six months. I was on first name terms, they were fair and helpful and one of them sprayed both the cars as well so was always interested in them. Still, nothing lasts forever. I mean, I have clients that suggest I can't retire but its likely they will be disappointed one day!
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

Jasonmarie wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 8:25 pm I Roger the cabin boy making the tea :lol: :lol:
Jesus !!! You could have at least made the tea later :shock: :lol:
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

Peter-S wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 10:44 pm
Fordoholic Nick wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 3:17 pm I bet you looked forward to popping in every year for a chat and mot.
I did really Nick, especially having the two cars I was in every six months. I was on first name terms, they were fair and helpful and one of them sprayed both the cars as well so was always interested in them. Still, nothing lasts forever. I mean, I have clients that suggest I can't retire but its likely they will be disappointed one day!
Yes Peter like you were with yours im on first name terms with my mot guy Dave who does mine. Even the other guys in tbe garage all know me. Been using them for years with my previous Laser too. When i went in for the mot back in Oct first thing he said was "Ok Nick, what you done now"... When he seen the stainless exhaust he said "Fuck me Nick"... but his reaction to the 45s the previous mot was even funnier :lol: :lol:

He dont squirt the windscreen wash all over the car as i tell him i checked that at home before :lol:

Last time he spent more time chatting and showing me photos of where hes moved too ! But he had a heart attack couple of year's back so is only doing a three day week so i reckon its not long before he retires as his wife has been at him. Luckily the other guys in there have been there years too and share his old Skool common sense when doing mots on classic cars.

But yes now you could be the one upsetting your loyal clients Peter when you decide to retire mate. Bet you built uo a very big network around you over the years.

When Jason retired from the Royal Mail they threw a massive party. Everyone turned up. Really big drink up music, lots of food and celebrating.....

Poor Jason thought it was the depth of sadness for his departure that they were celebrating.......... :lol: :lol:
pbar

Post by pbar »

Fordoholic Nick wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 12:36 pm Last time he spent more time chatting and showing me photos of where hes moved too ! But he had a heart attack couple of year's back so is only doing a three day week so i reckon its not long before he retires as his wife has been at him. Luckily the other guys in there have been there years too and share his old Skool common sense when doing mots on classic cars.

You must only have a couple more in any case Nick, then you're MOT free. Like you guys I too have concerns that my old school tester won't be available and I'll have to contend with less knowledgeable kids. But also, like all of us on here the MOT days are coming to a close anyway. I'm interested to know, do you think that you might still continue with them NIck?
andyd

Post by andyd »

Fordoholic Nick wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 12:36 pm

He dont squirt the windscreen wash all over the car as i tell him i checked that at home before :lol:

:lol: Only you could get away with that Nick :cool:

Don't worry about the lights either as I don't drive it at night :D

Even when mine is exempt (April 2025 I think) I will still get an MOT as insurance might not pay out if not roadworthy :?
pbar

Post by pbar »

andyd wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 1:15 pm Even when mine is exempt (April 2025 I think) I will still get an MOT as insurance might not pay out if not roadworthy :?

Interesting point Andy. And of course even though MOT exempt we are still required to have a roadworthy car when driving. My thoughts are that I probably wouldn't bother with the MOT but will do my best to keep the car in good shape. Would be interesting to know what other already exempt Capri owners are doing.
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator

Post by Jasonmarie »

I will have to wait till 2027 but think I will still get mine done , but as you say the new garage I will be using is old school and that’s why I have picked them but they may start picking things up on the mot . I don’t fill my rear wash bottle it’s just empty as it can’t be on the mot
andyd

Post by andyd »

It's an awkward one, just because you don't have to doesn't mean you shouldn't.

Anything obvious my car gets checked but I don't go looking for faults and without a ramp alot of things are hard to spot especially cracks etc.

Several owners I have spoken with are going to continue with an MOT for peace of mind, no one wants to be driving a death trap or giving their insurance company an excuse not to pay out.

Then again no one wants a jobs worth nit picking, and a watered down test for exempt cars might not work either :?
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

pbar wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 1:06 pmBut also, like all of us on here the MOT days are coming to a close anyway. I'm interested to know, do you think that you might still continue with them NIck?
Hi Paul,

I will keep getting mine tested just as Andy and Jason have said tbey will and Im sure many others here too. There wont be the same anxious atmosphere and will be a great way to have the underside properly looked over and advised if anything might need attention or any future issues that could be arising and as my mot guy lets me go down the pit its also a great way to see up close what needs touching or tidied up. My mot guy would prob carry out any "quick fix little issues" ie tightening up etc while we are underneath so would save me getting it up on ramps later .

Also i presume if we still get the "mot check" it will still be recorded at DVLA ??? so the official recorded mileage will be a, good source of confirmation the mileage is correct and accurate. Without mot would there be any way of keeping a running yearly mileage that would be as official and trusted 🤔🤔