Heater Box Removal

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Heater Box Removal

Post by pbar »

In the latest CCI magazine, there is a walkthrough on removing the heater box, but it is stated that you need to remove the steering wheel, the stalks/switches and the centre console. Certainly, I've had the box out without taking out any of those. My point is, what's he on about?
Peter-S
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1985 Capri 2.0
1983 Capri 2.8i

Re: Heater Box Removal

Post by Peter-S »

pbar wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 5:08 pm In the latest CCI magazine, there is a walkthrough on removing the heater box, but it is stated that you need to remove the steering wheel, the stalks/switches and the centre console. Certainly, I've had the box out without taking out any of those. My point is, what's he on about?
Sounds weird - not read it yet. Surely just take the glove box out is the easiest way.
ImageBanner by Peter Smith, on Flickr
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

pbar wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 5:08 pm In the latest CCI magazine
Sorry to be a pedant, but that article was in January's magazine, not the latest one. :)
You know, just in case somebody tries looking for it.

Andrew.
pbar

Post by pbar »

Andrew 2.8i wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 8:03 pm
pbar wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 5:08 pm In the latest CCI magazine
Sorry to be a pedant, but that article was in January's magazine, not the latest one. :)
You know, just in case somebody tries looking for it.

Andrew.

Thanks, yes, the January one it is. Been meaning to post this for at least a couple of weeks! Although that will be the latest for many of us.
pbar

Post by pbar »

Peter-S wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 7:14 pm Sounds weird - not read it yet. Surely just take the glove box out is the easiest way.
Exactly yes, some of the dash out, glovebox out, and that's enough. Have a read Pater, see if I've misread something although I did keep going over it.
Caprigear
Donator
Donator

Post by Caprigear »

I can tell you that you certainly don't remove the console, steering wheel or the stalks in order to take out the heater. I've done hundreds of them and only once did I disturb the console and that was on a 2.8i that had been fitted with a massive air conditioning unit.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

I look forward to reading the letter from "Angry from Stockport" on the letter's page of the next mag ! :lol:
pbar wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 9:46 pm see if I've misread something although I did keep going over it.
The way I interpret the article, John is saying if the heater is not working, the fault is most likely to be the two-speed switch. John does not state that the steering wheel etc have to be taken off to remove the heater box, he's simply suggesting a way to access the most likely broken part and keeping the heater box in-situ during the process.
I'm sure this is his intention, as he goes on to describe the next stage of the fix if replacing the switch didn't work "if no luck, then proceed by taking the glovebox assembly out........now you are almost ready to drop the heater out".

Anybody wishing to change the heater motor, matrix and/or seals, can skip the early steps and follow the instructions on removing the glovebox and centre console to access the heater box.

Andrew.
pbar

Post by pbar »

Andrew 2.8i wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 7:24 am I look forward to reading the letter from "Angry from Stockport" on the letter's page of the next mag ! :lol:

I tried being angry a couple of times Andrew, it didn't suit me, so now I just try to be endlessly happy :) Thanks for your interpretation of the article, you're probably right. Strangely enough my latest mag came today, so now you are definitely right about that!
pbar

Post by pbar »

Caprigear wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 10:52 pm I can tell you that you certainly don't remove the console, steering wheel or the stalks in order to take out the heater. I've done hundreds of them and only once did I disturb the console and that was on a 2.8i that had been fitted with a massive air conditioning unit.

Thanks for your input Martin, valued as always. Although often dreaded, the Capri heater box isn't that bad to remove in my opinion and it's a job worth doing. With some cars, as I'm sure you know, it can be a nightmare with the whole of the dash etc. having to come out