Car cover or don't cover

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
Hollypoppylab
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser, 1985 reg. runner

Car cover or don't cover

Post by Hollypoppylab »

Morning all, I'm new to this site having just picked up my 2.0 Laser last week (last had a Capri in 1989) & haven't finished building the garage for her yet. Currently she's under a waterproof cover, but I've read that these can do more harm than good & it's better to leave the car uncovered, so air can circulate around? Any thoughts & advice would be really welcome. Thanks.
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser Mercury Grey 1987 hobby .
Mercedes Vito tourer 2.1 Big Bus Daily Driver

Re: Car cover or don't cover

Post by Jasonmarie »

This is a great question as I have seen cars have white spots after just a day under the cover from old to new . If the paintwork is new the paint could be water based so do not use a cover . But saying that when I park in my drive and leave my Capri out over night I use a car cover . But Red cars in general seem to be a no no to use a outside cover .
Welcome to the site & post up some pictures of your new toy …. Great choice the Laser as it’s fitted with the “ Best Engine In The World “
A book ref that was out a few years ago :cool:
Ford Capri 2.0 Laser 1987 Mercury Grey ....... :beer:
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

I'm happy to use a car cover when I have to leave my car outdoors.
Always make sure that the car and cover are completely dry before using the cover.
I have heard second-hand reports of white spots appearing on the paintwork, but I haven't experienced such myself. I think it's most likely to happen if water is trapped against the paint for prolonged periods of time. If you're worried, you can use some kind of spacer, between the car and the cover to allow air to circulate. Failing that, remove the cover on a dry day instead to allow the car to air.
:goodluck: with whatever you decide to do.

Andrew.
Last edited by Andrew 2.8i on Sat Jan 08, 2022 9:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hollypoppylab

Post by Hollypoppylab »

Thanks Andrew, the cover I brought is fleece lined so should give a barrier. Hopefully get a few days of good weather & crack on with building the garage.
andyd
Car(s): 1981 XR3

Post by andyd »

Hi,
Many people would rather give the car a good polish/ceramic coating and leave it out in the elements.

In the past I have used Stormforce outdoor covers on a few cars and only one car I had issues. On my black Capri I would get white areas (looked like clouds) in the paint especially along the swage lines and they would only come out with polish.

As said, only cover a car that is dry and make sure the cover is fully dry too, and make sure the cover doesn't move too much in winds etc as that may cause light scratches, but if yours is lined it may be ok.

You will never beat a garage but short term especially if you remove the cover often to let air get to the car hopefully you are ok.

:goodluck:
Hollypoppylab

Post by Hollypoppylab »

Thanks guys for all the advice, that's a great help. Jasonmarie, she's in lovely black & had a bare metal respray in 2012. currently in the local garage having a full service, timing belt change, brake fluid change & a general 'health check' as she's barely done a 1000 miles in the last three years. Will post some pics when I get her back. Can't wait to get out in her, roll on the good weather.
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Post by pbar »

I wouldn't cover it to be honest, they can be damaging, especially if the car has no lacquer. Do a search on here for my car cover thread, you will see what problems they may cause, which echoes what Andy has said above. I know of two or three Capri's in my area which are left outside uncovered. Well done for getting a Laser, super cars!
D366Y
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1986 Laser 1.6, daily runaround project
1981 GL Auto 2.0, Barn-Find-Resto, now also a runaround project
1980 3.0S, crash damage resto
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Currently full up and no more space but I still want a 2.8...

Post by D366Y »

I used to have a stormforce cover which I never had any issues with at all, but now I use both as a daily Ive left them both outside for the last 2 years without any issues at all either
A wise man once said... "you can never have too many capris - buy another" :beer:
It's me, I'm the wise man.
Wicked93gs
Car(s): 1966 Ford Mustang

Post by Wicked93gs »

Depends on the length of time...but condensation traps are a thing, by putting a car under a close fitting cover you are creating a more humid environment. Ideally covers should only be used while its raining or snowing and taken off afterward.
Noel
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri 2.8i
Range Rover
M140i

Post by Noel »

I will need an outdoor cover for my car soon, and was wondering the same as OP.

I took some advice from a neighbour of mine who has an old Maserati Quattroporte. He's had it for over 15 year and it lives on his front drive under a Hamilton Classic breathable fleece lined cover.
He has a regime of uncovering it for a breather after any significant periods of rain, but day to day it is always covered.
The car looks spot on with no paint marks despite being under the cover for all those years.
I think the key is to make sure its a breathable cover, and has a good lining.

Hope that helps.
pbar

Post by pbar »

Just have a look at the car cover thread, link below, that was with a Hamilton breathe-able fleece cover, expensive too.
I think a lot depends on the paint type and lacquer, any cover can be a try it and see gamble.

http://www.fordcapriforum.com/forum/vie ... hp?t=44152
Noel
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri 2.8i
Range Rover
M140i

Post by Noel »

Ah. Now I genuinely don't know what to do.
andyd
Car(s): 1981 XR3

Post by andyd »

I agree with Paul alot of it depends on quality of repaint and laquers etc, basically if you buy a cover you take your chance :?

I think on red, black and darker colours you will always notice issues that you might not see on white and silver etc.

I don't cover mine in the garage with sheets anymore, as I noticed they do feel quite damp at this time of year, so better to let the air get to it and dust it off when I use it :cool:
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser Mercury Grey 1987 hobby .
Mercedes Vito tourer 2.1 Big Bus Daily Driver

Post by Jasonmarie »

It is a game of Russian roulette with the covers outside , mine has got a fleece inside and I never use if wet but it has rained at night once and it was dry inside that morning of the show .
But the fun starts when somebody knocks on your door asking if the car under the cover is for sale ?
Ford Capri 2.0 Laser 1987 Mercury Grey ....... :beer:
STEVEW
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.3S
Project

Post by STEVEW »

Jason wrote,
But the fun starts when somebody knocks on your door asking if the car under the cover is for sale ?
That's the time to note the vehicle details of the passing punter. 8-)
Oh! He came on the bus and just happened to be passing. :guitar:
Bug
Car(s): Some

Post by Bug »

Other option (if you have room) is one of those folding garage/tent thingummies?
Major_Tom
Car(s): 2.0S

Post by Major_Tom »

I always store my Capri outside without a cover. If raining, I chuck a couple of silica gel packs under it to keep the moisture at bay.
I'm the one who leaves all those shoes in the carriageway.
Hollypoppylab

Post by Hollypoppylab »

Thank you all for the wonderful advice & thoughts. All very much appreciated.
pbar

Post by pbar »

Be sure to post back with what you decided to do, and whether the results were good, or bad!
Hollypoppylab

Post by Hollypoppylab »

I will do pbar, she's currently safe & sound inside my local garage having a full service, cam belt change, brake fluid change etc, having only done less than a 1000 miles in the last four years. Hopefully get her back tomorrow.