Stsrter motor bolts

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
Major_Tom
Car(s): 2.0S

Stsrter motor bolts

Post by Major_Tom »

..yo.

What thread pattern are the 13mm bolts that hold the starter motor to the bellhousing? I can't find any that fit and the situation is becoming ludicrous.
I'm the one who leaves all those shoes in the carriageway.
Supercharged Nat
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Supercharged 2.1 (daily driver- when it works)

Re: Stsrter motor bolts

Post by Supercharged Nat »

Do you mean M8x1.25? Or the imperial would be 5/16 UNF i think. But i have a feeling they should standard M8 (m8x1.25) not sure on lentgh though, that may vary depending on which hole it fits?
Sorry i cant be more specific!
Actually now im starting to wonder if they are larger but with non standard head for the thread size :?
13mm hex head as standard is m8 though....
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Supercharged Nat wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 5:47 pm im starting to wonder if they are larger but with non standard head for the thread size :?
That's the case with the 2.8. I think they might be the same size bolts for 2.0 and 2.8 engines, as the 2.8 also has a 13mm head but the thread size is closer to M10. I'll check them a bit later on.

Andrew.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

The bolts in mine are 13mm flangehead with an M10 thread, 35mm length.

Andrew.
Major_Tom
Car(s): 2.0S

Post by Major_Tom »

Thanks gents, all sorted now, not sure why it was such a massive issue!

Went into my local hardware / metalwork store with a 14mm bolt from the starter, asked for exactly the same one but with a 13mm head due to tight clearance on this new high torque starter. No idea what's gone on there but they have gone right downhill. This confused man measured the threads three times, wandered all round the shelves, got two workmates to help, and 15 min later came back with another 14mm bolt.

I told him it was useless and I was then spun a mesmerising story about how an m10 with 13mm head "must be very rare".

I said half the bolts on a Ford are M10 with 13mm head and was told that's why they are rare. Fucked off after that.
I'm the one who leaves all those shoes in the carriageway.