Windscreen washer not working

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
warriorsage
Car(s): Capri 2.8i 1984 Project

Windscreen washer not working

Post by warriorsage »

Hi,
I'm getting my 1984 2.8i back on the road and the next step is an MOT. I've noticed that the front windscreen washer isn't working. I initially thought it was just the motor but there is no power getting to the motor. The lead comes from the wiring loom.
The car has been laid up since 2013 and I wondered if anyone knows of any known issues with this or maybe the push on the stalk to operate the washer?
The front wipers work although the back wiper doesn't.
Any advice greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Anthony
Arnoldhar
Car(s): 2.0l mk3

Re: Windscreen washer not working

Post by Arnoldhar »

My front washer only works when the wipers are on, I am not even sure if that’s correct but that’s how they work so worth a go, easy to press the stork without them on and think they don’t work like I did!
warriorsage

Post by warriorsage »

Thanks for your advice, I didn't think of that and will give it a try.
Noel
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri 2.8i
Range Rover
M140i

Post by Noel »

The two stalks with push buttons in them (horn one side, washer the other) have a little wire that comes out at the base carrying the push button circuit into the big connector. The indicator/horn ones are prone to fatigue and broken wires due to that stalk being moved a lot on each journey.
The washer button is on the wiper stalk, and that gets moved when its raining, so generally doesn't fatigue - but do check it.

If you get the steering column shroud off you can inspect them, I even think you can take the stalks off without removing the dash and check that the push button actually does make a circuit, then I would next:
Clean all the fuses, disconnect the two multiplugs that go through the firewall next to the fuse box - clean these with switch cleaner and reassemble.
I drove myself up the wall chasing indicators that didn't work and it was just duff connections through those plugs. Do a continuity test form the plug that supplies the washer down the the connector on the pump too, make sure thats OK.
Major_Tom
Car(s): 2.0S

Post by Major_Tom »

Noel wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 1:12 pm Clean all the fuses, disconnect the two multiplugs that go through the firewall

Do you mean the bulkhead my man? ;)
I'm the one who leaves all those shoes in the carriageway.
Major_Tom

Post by Major_Tom »

warriorsage wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 12:20 pm Thanks for your advice, I didn't think of that and will give it a try.
Let me know if you need a replacement, I have loads of washer stalks for some reason and can sell one for beer money... depending on where you are.
Bug
Car(s): Some

Post by Bug »

The lead in the loom sets off from one of the external spade connectors on the fuse box.
Had a similar issue many moons ago, but I was actually seeing 12v at the motor?
Turns out the spade connector was corroded. I'm no electrickery whizz but apparently volts is no good without amps.
Cleaned up the spade connector and all was good.
Noel
Donator
Donator
Range Rover
M140i

Post by Noel »

Bug wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 6:11 pm The lead in the loom sets off from one of the external spade connectors on the fuse box.
Does it - ah so not the multiplugs like I said, that makes it easier, but I'd clean anything connector like. Isn't there connections under the fusebox too? Might be worth attending to them, but as they are inside the body they don't get so corroded.

I do hope the OP gets the fixed soon, nothing worse than a dirty windshield that you cannot get clean.
Bug

Post by Bug »

Noel wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 8:51 am
Bug wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 6:11 pm The lead in the loom sets off from one of the external spade connectors on the fuse box.
Does it - ah so not the multiplugs like I said, that makes it easier, but I'd clean anything connector like. Isn't there connections under the fusebox too? Might be worth attending to them, but as they are inside the body they don't get so corroded.

I do hope the OP gets the fixed soon, nothing worse than a dirty windshield that you cannot get clean.
Well the power lead does. I believe it earths through the stalk to complete the circuit, so that earth lead must go into the cabin through one of the big fat multiplugs I'd guess?
OP says there is no power getting to the motor, so for me that points to lack of delivery from the fusebox.
Got to be worth a check first?
In fact, a bit of wire from the battery positive, wedged into the plug on the washer motor, then press the stalk and see what happens?
Bug

Post by Bug »

Dug back through my old posts and found this:
http://www.fordcapriforum.com/forum/vie ... er#p208795
Might help?
Major_Tom

Post by Major_Tom »

Noel wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 8:51 am
:lol: Yes he might mount the sidewalk, hit the mailman and crash into an 18 wheeler full of 2x4s.
Noel
Donator
Donator
Range Rover
M140i

Post by Noel »

Surely by crash you really mean fender bender?
Major_Tom

Post by Major_Tom »

No, more get blinded by the hi-beams and T-bone a tanker truck of kerosene on the on ramp to the interstate.
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser,
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

Post by Fordoholic Nick »

Whats a windscreen washer guys... Should i have one on mine 🤔🤔🤔😂😂
I was born a Fordoholic, They'll bury me a Fordoholic...
Bug

Post by Bug »

Gents, I'm doing my best to help this chap out and you're hiding all my helpful posts with your somewhat xenophobic humour (oops! humor) :D

Not only that but the OP is in the UK (getting an MOT!) and it was just someone's answer that set you all off in the wrong direction.
Honestly! Some days I just despair. Bloody whippersnappers, coming in here with all your extra carburettors, mocking us sensible folk!
I'm off for a lie down!
Noel
Donator
Donator
Range Rover
M140i

Post by Noel »

We're all just filling time cos we are gagging to find out if he's got it working!
warriorsage

Post by warriorsage »

Thank you all for your advice on what to check. I will be trying to resolve it this week and will update you all as the car has the first MOT since 2013 on Friday so I need to fix it before then and I'm cutting it a bit fine.
Thanks again all.
Noel
Donator
Donator
Range Rover
M140i

Post by Noel »

LOL no pressure just a lot of people bored out of our skulls working at home I suppose (well me anyway) and I've not had time to do buggar all to mine for a couple of weeks so totally living through other people here (i.e. you).
Bug

Post by Bug »

warriorsage wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 1:18 pm Thank you all for your advice on what to check. I will be trying to resolve it this week and will update you all as the car has the first MOT since 2013 on Friday so I need to fix it before then and I'm cutting it a bit fine.
Thanks again all.
Start with a 12v supply straight to the pump as I suggested earlier.
If that works then you can leave it like that to at least get you through the MOT, providing the wire looks fairly tidy.
Major_Tom

Post by Major_Tom »

Bug wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 9:34 am Gents, I'm doing my best to help this chap out and you're hiding all my helpful posts with your somewhat xenophobic humour (oops! humor) :D

Not only that but the OP is in the UK (getting an MOT!) and it was just someone's answer that set you all off in the wrong direction.
Honestly! Some days I just despair. Bloody whippersnappers, coming in here with all your extra carburettors, mocking us sensible folk!
I'm off for a lie down!
Oh shucks, we were just lollygaggin Mister! Gee whizz.