Tracking devices

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
brooky
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 2.0 Laser and XR4x4i.

Tracking devices

Post by brooky »

Hi

Capri is going into garage for the winter which is about 1/2 mile form my home, going to put a remote camera on my daughters house which overlooks the garage, also want to put a tracking device on the car so if any scum back gets in the garage and tries to move it I am alerted. Any recommendations for such devices, how best to deal with possible car battery going flat as I assume that is how these devices are powered.

Thanks, Mark
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Re: Tracking devices

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Hi Mark,
How are you, I hope that you're well?
There is a thread about trackers here:
http://www.fordcapriforum.com/forum/vie ... 13&t=47954
While it's a few years old, there is a lot of good info on there about the different types of devices and subscription services available

:goodluck:
Andrew.
stevemarl
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri 1.6 laser

Post by stevemarl »

I have a remote garage too, that now has a solar panel on the roof which charges 2x 7Ah Yuasa sealed lead acid batteries, these power the led lighting. If I`m storing a car for any time, but don`rt want to take the battery out, I just connect the battery to the solar panel and that will keep it topped up perfectly. I`m guessing a tracker uses a fairly small current (?) so it shouldn`t really be a problem, even on a dull day a decent panel should cope.
(I should add though, I`ve cultivated bramble to grow around all sides/ back and across the front of roof so the panel can`t be nicked/vandalised.)
Edit,
another thought: I also have an alarm on the garage, if that goes off it activates a `pager` transmitter unit which causes the pager to bleep right next to my pillow! Can`t remember what it was called (Falcon Communicator???) but it was about £40 some years ago on eBay. You coulf fit that alone just with a magnetic switch on the door, quite simple.
Alright, maybe it`s over the top: removable bollards, 3 sets of locks, alarm and pager but so what - nobody gets that car!
STEVEW
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.3S
Project

Post by STEVEW »

stevemarl wrote,
Alright, maybe it`s over the top: removable bollards, 3 sets of locks, alarm and pager but so what - nobody gets that car!
You could also put the car on axle stands and take the wheels and jack home.
stevemarl
Donator
Donator

Post by stevemarl »

STEVEW wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 4:53 pm You could also put the car on axle stands and take the wheels and jack home.
TBH, if the Capri`s off the road for the winter I DO actually put it on stands to protect the tyres: the fronts come off and I put stands under the hubs so the suspension is `rested` if you see what I mean. I just haven`t take them home ... so far :D
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Post by pbar »

brooky wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 11:11 am how best to deal with possible car battery going flat as I assume that is how these devices are powered.

Not quite what you're asking Mark, but thought I'd mention anyway, caravan leisure batteries would make for an excellent power source for many things at your garage (lights, alarm, phone charger, security devices, etc.) which you may find useful, (similarly they are used for electric fences, indoor/ourdoor lighting at stables, etc.) as old normal car batteries do too. Leisure batteries will last for weeks/months, and as I guess as you're only half a mile away and I assume have another car, it's no trouble for you to pop it home when you need to charge it, have a couple then you can just swap them over when you need to.
Last edited by pbar on Sat Oct 30, 2021 8:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
pbar

Post by pbar »

stevemarl wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 12:02 pm I also have an alarm on the garage, if that goes off it activates a `pager` transmitter unit which causes the pager to bleep right next to my pillow!

Wouldn't he need a GSM/sim setup to cover half a mile distance Steve?
stevemarl
Donator
Donator

Post by stevemarl »

No Paul, this is a straight radio trasmit/receive, works direct - but I do have a direct line of sight from bedroom to garage. Any further/obstacles it would be a problem. Ther4e are GSM alarm things which may be better suited as you suggest.
pbar

Post by pbar »

That's what I said Steve, for the distance Mark has then he may need a gsm/sim option for notifications. The radio pager is a great idea of yours though.
andyd
Car(s): 1981 XR3

Post by andyd »

Good to hear from you Mark :)

I know it's awkward if someone else owns the garage, but a bollard or door defender maybe better as a visual deterrent and making it hard to gain access!

:goodluck:
stevemarl
Donator
Donator

Post by stevemarl »

andyd wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 6:45 am I know it's awkward if someone else owns the garage, but a bollard or door defender maybe better as a visual deterrent and making it hard to gain access!
If it was possible, myself and my neighbour have used these: you`ve got to dig a hole and concrete it into the ground but they`re really solid, and even the padlock`s quite decent. For £40 you can`t go wrong.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00 ... UTF8&psc=1
andyd

Post by andyd »

stevemarl wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 12:14 pm
andyd wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 6:45 am I know it's awkward if someone else owns the garage, but a bollard or door defender maybe better as a visual deterrent and making it hard to gain access!
If it was possible, myself and my neighbour have used these: you`ve got to dig a hole and concrete it into the ground but they`re really solid, and even the padlock`s quite decent. For £40 you can`t go wrong.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00 ... UTF8&psc=1
:agree: A good piece of kit.

I have used one of these too and similar price, the plate bolts to the floor inside the door https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/224458994764 ... Sw1PdgoQZR
pbar

Post by pbar »

Completely agree with you guys in that hardware security is the best, posts, locks, bolts, bars, defenders, chains, disklok, etc. Tech security has its place but isn't a substitute. CCTV won't stop some breaking in, it's just that you can watch them doing it afterwards, trackers can be nulled/found and even if not the damage has already been done, alarms go off but how many times do you hear an alarm (car or house), it's quite common really, but how many times do you actually go and investigate? Plus technology can just fail at any time, I mean, just how often does tech go wrong in the home, it's far from perfect. Any type of security is worthwhile though of course.
stevemarl
Donator
Donator

Post by stevemarl »

The keyless entry thing is the most ridiculous use of tech ever: all the demonstrable problems, just to save putting a key in a lock`??? What a joke.
andyd

Post by andyd »

stevemarl wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 5:38 pm The keyless entry thing is the most ridiculous use of tech ever: all the demonstrable problems, just to save putting a key in a lock`??? What a joke.
100% :turd: idea Steve!!

I've never had a problem putting a key into a lock and turning it! Maybe that's too much to think about for some of todays snowflakes :?

When I had the Mustang I bought a farady pouch to block the signal which was more of a hassle/concern than a standard key :doh:
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1980 mk3 capri 2l ohc T9 , Toyota Blade Master 3.5l V6, Paso , 850T,rd400, 900ss

Post by Mc Tool »

stevemarl wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 12:02 pm I have a remote garage too, that now has a solar panel on the roof which charges 2x 7Ah Yuasa sealed lead acid batteries, these power the led lighting. If I`m storing a car for any time, but don`rt want to take the battery out, I just connect the battery to the solar panel and that will keep it topped up perfectly. I`m guessing a tracker uses a fairly small current (?) so it shouldn`t really be a problem, even on a dull day a decent panel should cope.
(I should add though, I`ve cultivated bramble to grow around all sides/ back and across the front of roof so the panel can`t be nicked/vandalised.)
Edit,
another thought: I also have an alarm on the garage, if that goes off it activates a `pager` transmitter unit which causes the pager to bleep right next to my pillow! Can`t remember what it was called (Falcon Communicator???) but it was about £40 some years ago on eBay. You coulf fit that alone just with a magnetic switch on the door, quite simple.

Ha ha ,yeah and after all that the neiboughs burn the garage down with their fireworks......... :xd: :lol:
Sometimes I talk to myself ... and we both have a good laugh