M16 brake calipers

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
STEVEW
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.3S
Project

M16 brake calipers

Post by STEVEW »

M16 Bake Calipers,

Hi folks.
Does anyone know the reason why the brake calipers on a Capri shouldn't be split?

Thanks in advance.
stevemarl
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri 1.6 laser

Re: M16 brake calipers

Post by stevemarl »

Only because, in theory, the fluid channel between the 2 halves *may* leak after reassembly - although I`m sure I read that it`s not really a problem. It can`t be that hard can it?
STEVEW
Project

Post by STEVEW »

Thanks for the prompt reply Steve. (It was a semi-rhetorical question.) :D
It can`t be that hard can it?
That's the way I see it, after all it's only four UNF bolts and an O-ring.
the fluid channel between the 2 halves *may* leak after reassembly
On the other side, if the caliper is split to replace the piston and seals there's less chance of damaging the O-ring and creating a leak there.
Overhauling a master cylinder is a lot more involved and they can leak internally, which is one problem I've got at the moment. There was brake fluid in the brake servo chamber!

I've read on the Net various reasons for not splitting such as, "One-use-only bolts" and "Torque loading unobtainable" both problems must be surmountable because there are companies out there offering "overhauled calipers".
A lot of this doesn't make sense to me.
I'm interested about other peoples comments and ideas on this.

Regards,
Steve.
Not_Anumber
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Just sold 1983 2.8 Injection 5 speed. Currently restoring another classic Previously owned 2 Capris. Likely to own another at some point

Post by Not_Anumber »

i split one many years ago to better clean and paint it but couldn't ever get it to reseal correctly. At the time though second hand Ford calipers were remarkably cheap and easy to get hold of from a local scrappy so i didnt even try get as far as replacing the o ring which must have been the guilty party.
STEVEW
Project

Post by STEVEW »

Thanks for the input “Not”

Not_Anumber wrote,
I split one years ago….but couldn’t ever get it to reseal correctly…. I didnt even try get as far as replacing the o ring which must have been the guilty party.
I think it could only have been the O-ring: either it was naff or not sat correctly in its recessed seat.
I’ve just finished widening one so vented discs can be fitted which means two seals per caliper.
To ease the alignment of the two halves and the spacer I made up a pair of alignment pins for the outer pair of bolts and a wooden support for holding the threaded caliper half during assembly.

This, of course won’t guarantee it will be sealed but here’s hoping.
:cheers:
Peter-S
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1985 Capri 2.0
1983 Capri 2.8i

Post by Peter-S »

I've split M16 and Princess calipers without problem. The surfaces need to be clean, the bolts really tight (I hold them in a vice to do it) and use new O rings. Should be OK then.
ImageBanner by Peter Smith, on Flickr
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1980 mk3 capri 2l ohc T9 , Toyota Blade Master 3.5l V6, Paso , 850T,rd400, 900ss

Post by Mc Tool »

every time I split calipers I fit new sealing o-rings and I give the mating surfaces a quick swipe on a FLAT surface with a sheet of fine carborundum paper ( like 1200 - 2000 grit ) and degrease the heck outa them . I re use bolts if not widening the caliper , otherwise I use hi tensile bolts. keeping the work clean is vital , any crap caught between the caliper halves will prevent them clamping up properly. I would split caliper just to replace the o'rings when overhauling them..... they probly dont age any better than other rubber components . :)
Sometimes I talk to myself ... and we both have a good laugh