Replacing Type-F 4 speed Transmission, 2.0 Capri

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
mgsutton
Car(s): 1974 2.0 Capri Auto X car

Replacing Type-F 4 speed Transmission, 2.0 Capri

Post by mgsutton »

Unfortunately blewout 3rd gear in my 1974 2.0 Mercury Capri. I was never a fan of this linkage but I had a tall 2nd gear (1.67) which worked out well for Auto-X. Unfortunately, I cannot find gears for this transmission let alone a taller 2nd gear!

So now what?

I think my best bet is to put in a Type-E Rocker 4 speed (I do not need more gears for Auto-X and this is not a street legal car). My friend has a stock Rocket transmission but he thinks I need a 1600 Pinto bellhousing for some reason and that one suited for a 2.0 or 2.3 will not work?

So with all this said here is my main question:
If someone owns a 1974 Mercury Capri with a 2.0 motor will a rocket transmission work with my car without any modification i.e., bellhousing, pilot bearing, transmission mount to chassis?
Attachments
Prepared Auto-X Capri 1974
Prepared Auto-X Capri 1974
Blown 3rd gear in type-F 4 speed
Blown 3rd gear in type-F 4 speed
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1980 mk3 capri 2l ohc T9 , Toyota Blade Master 3.5l V6, Paso , 850T,rd400, 900ss

Re: Replacing Type-F 4 speed Transmission, 2.0 Capri

Post by Mc Tool »

I think , not sure , that the 2.3L block has a different bolt pattern than the 1.6 and 2L bell housing . I read up on it ages ago , cant find the website now .🤔
Sometimes I talk to myself ... and we both have a good laugh
stevemarl
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri 1.6 laser

Post by stevemarl »

I`m pretty certain the bellhousing etc for a 2.0 PINTO is the same as a 1.6. Only the Cologne V6s (the Germans I think used a V6 2.0,as well as 2.3 - but only in Germany AFAIK.) may have had different pattern? Ford did like interchangeability.,

What do you think caused the gear to break up like that, did it lose a tooth or something?
mgsutton

Post by mgsutton »

Thank you for the reply. Do you know if there is any difference between the pinto and the Capri bell housings? To me it would be the same at least for a 2.0 Capri and a 2.0 pinto unless Ford was into loosing money. But the big question is were the bell housings different on the Type-E and the Type-F? I.e., shorter or longer based on input shaft length, etc.

Wish I knew, I was down shifting to 2nd but not sure why 2nd gear is ok?
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1980 mk3 capri 2l ohc T9 , Toyota Blade Master 3.5l V6, Paso , 850T,rd400, 900ss

Post by Mc Tool »

I thought that when you said mercury capri you were refering to the USA 2.3L 4 cylinder pinto motor , not a 2.3L v6 .🙂
Sometimes I talk to myself ... and we both have a good laugh
stevemarl
Donator
Donator

Post by stevemarl »

Hamish, he did say 2.0 Mercury Capri, which was an import from Europe with the 1993cc Pinto. It all gets a bit confusing as the `Pinto` car used the (Brazilian?) 2.3 Pinto engine, which was different to the Euro one. As for nose lengths etc, no idea.
Major_Tom
Car(s): 2.0S

Post by Major_Tom »

I've swapped around a few gearboxes. Anything's possible :lol:

Going Type F to Type E you should not have to change clutches as they are both 23 spline. You will probably have to modify or replace one or more of the following in order of likelihood: gearbox crossmember, bellhousing, propshaft.

It really is a case of offering it up and seeing.
I'm the one who leaves all those shoes in the carriageway.
D366Y
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1986 Laser 1.6, daily runaround project
1981 GL Auto 2.0, Barn-Find-Resto, now also a runaround project
1980 3.0S, crash damage resto
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Currently full up and no more space but I still want a 2.8...

Post by D366Y »

Tom has broken more gearboxes than I've had hot meals so he's definitely the expert when it comes to changing them! :lol:
A wise man once said... "you can never have too many capris - buy another" :beer:
It's me, I'm the wise man.
Major_Tom

Post by Major_Tom »

D366Y wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 11:38 am Tom has broken more gearboxes than I've had hot meals so he's definitely the expert when it comes to changing them! :lol:
Well... the Type 3 I had on was only 99p :lol:
mgsutton

Post by mgsutton »

Thanks Tom, what is the Propshaft? Also I assume cross member is where the tail section of transmission bolts to the chassis?

Thanks again
Major_Tom

Post by Major_Tom »

mgsutton wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 5:15 pm Thanks Tom, what is the Propshaft? Also I assume cross member is where the tail section of transmission bolts to the chassis?

Thanks again
:headscratch:

The propshaft is what connects the output shaft of the gearbox to the axle.

You are correct about the gearbox crossmember, for clarity here is the underside of Fordaholic Nick's car I 'Nicked' showing both components and why a different gearbox might require these may have to be replaced or modified.

Major_Tom

Post by Major_Tom »

So if your Type E is a different tail length, you might have to source a different prop and swap front and rear sections with your Type F prop. And if your Type E doesn't come with a crossmember, its likely you'll have to modify the Type F one to fit it.
mgsutton

Post by mgsutton »

Oh, ok I just call it by it's generic name "drive shaft"; I had a straight one made a long time ago and never looked back.

Thanks for the pictures. Nice looking exhaust by the way:)
Major_Tom

Post by Major_Tom »

mgsutton wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 10:57 pm Oh, ok I just call it by it's generic name "drive shaft"; I had a straight one made a long time ago and never looked back.

Thanks for the pictures. Nice looking exhaust by the way:)
I am planning to make a single piece one out of those two actually!
Major_Tom

Post by Major_Tom »

Small typo, but I also meant to say that those components might have to be replaced or modified in no particular order of likelihood!
Major_Tom

Post by Major_Tom »

mgsutton wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 11:29 pm Unfortunately blewout 3rd gear in my 1974 2.0 Mercury Capri. I was never a fan of this linkage but I had a tall 2nd gear (1.67) which worked out well for Auto-X. Unfortunately, I cannot find gears for this transmission let alone a taller 2nd gear!

So now what?

I think my best bet is to put in a Type-E Rocker 4 speed (I do not need more gears for Auto-X and this is not a street legal car). My friend has a stock Rocket transmission but he thinks I need a 1600 Pinto bellhousing for some reason and that one suited for a 2.0 or 2.3 will not work?

So with all this said here is my main question:
If someone owns a 1974 Mercury Capri with a 2.0 motor will a rocket transmission work with my car without any modification i.e., bellhousing, pilot bearing, transmission mount to chassis?
I know of a Type F gearbox for sale if that's easier, it's off a 60,000 miler. Roughlt where are you located?
stevemarl
Donator
Donator

Post by stevemarl »

I assumed from the Mercury bit, and being LHD he was in the states?
mgsutton

Post by mgsutton »

If you guys are interested, I can post the measurements and what it took to do the swap? There does not seem to be much out there in regards to swapping out a Type -4 to a Type - E on the Capri.
Major_Tom

Post by Major_Tom »

mgsutton wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 3:29 pm If you guys are interested, I can post the measurements and what it took to do the swap?
Always, do it!
mgsutton

Post by mgsutton »

Ok still in progress. I was hoping some of you could help me with what is needed to install a Type 5 in a 2.0 Litre Capri. Once complete I will post so other who want to embark on such a project do not have to guess:) When it is all said and done I will choose which is the best scenario for me. I now the Rocket is lighter, but the Type 5 is much easier to get parts for in case something happens in the future.

Attachments
Type -F to Type E
Type -F to Type E