Yet another Ford....

You can RANT and RAVE to your hearts content here instead of clogging up the Q&A Technical Forum!
Report any offensive posts to [email protected]
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser,
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

Yet another Ford....

Post by Fordoholic Nick »

Hi all,

Well I been looking to upgrade the 2007 Diesel Fiesta for a while as as it was starting to become a bit of a money muncher and with the ULEZ kicking in soon it was deffo time to upgrade. Had my heart set on the "Aston Martin" Fiesta :lol: so after quite a bit of research i finally took the plunge and got this last week. 2014 1.0 EcoBoost Titanium with only 25k on the clock. Always fancied a White car too. Shes in with Gates Ford Enfield at the monent having had a service and getting rear springs/bushes fitted as first sign of surface rust on the base of each spring so i thought might as well get new ones fitted now while Ford had it. Also got RAC to fit a new Bosch battery too as old one was..... old !! He checked the starter and alternator and all good there. Glad i did not decide to do it myself as he said with this cars nowadays you have to tell the car a new battery has been fitted and reset/program the key codes :shock: :shock:

These fiesta really are lovely to drive and the Titanium has some nice festures. 17"Wheels are very cool. Here's a, few snaps.... neighbour seen me cleaning the engine other day and she said "its almost as clean as your old ford" :lol: :lol:

Not quite as exciting as Andys Mustang but still really nice motor :wave: :lol: :lol:

chase atm near my location
I was born a Fordoholic, They'll bury me a Fordoholic...
Peter-S
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1985 Capri 2.0
1983 Capri 2.8i

Re: Yet another Ford....

Post by Peter-S »

We could use the last couple of pics in Paul's who remembers thread:
Who remembers when engines looked like engines :xd: :mrgreen:
ImageBanner by Peter Smith, on Flickr
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

Peter-S wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 10:15 pm We could use the last couple of pics in Paul's who remembers thread:
Who remembers when engines looked like engines :xd: :mrgreen:
Peter I found the dipstick... :lol: :wave:
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1980 mk3 capri 2l ohc T9 , Toyota Blade Master 3.5l V6, Paso , 850T,rd400, 900ss

Post by Mc Tool »

1.0L ? Looks real good and 25kms is not long run in.
1.0L sounds small , but I guess the Austin 7 wasn't even that and they went anywhere. Is it turbo ?
Anyhow new car-itis is a nice place to be .
I watched a guy yesterday at the supermarket getting into a brand new ranger , didnt even have road grime on its shiney new top ball joint , and he looked like a cat with 2 tails
Sometimes I talk to myself ... and we both have a good laugh
andyd
Car(s): 1981 XR3

Post by andyd »

Fordoholic Nick wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 9:56 pm

Not quite as exciting as Andys Mustang but still really nice motor :wave: :lol: :lol:

Nice Fiesta Nick, but where have you been :headscratch: http://www.fordcapriforum.com/forum/vie ... 16&t=54617
Blue Ball 8th August 2021.jpg
Pinto = Best Engine In The World :wave:
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

andyd wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 5:20 am Pinto = Best Engine In The World :wave:
I've heard another forum member mention that too. I can't remember who though.... :lol:

Nice car Nick!

Andrew.
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser Mercury Grey 1987 hobby .
Mercedes Vito tourer 2.1 Big Bus Daily Driver

Post by Jasonmarie »

Looking good sir , Fiona the fiesta is a stunning car with so many toys :cool: .
Just see you have a Sierra again Andy , very nice sir and a the best engine in the world , as mention in a book a few years ago :lol:

All Nick did you say they are fitting mud flaps to Fiona ?
Ford Capri 2.0 Laser 1987 Mercury Grey ....... :beer:
stevemarl
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri 1.6 laser

Post by stevemarl »

Mc Tool wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 3:09 am 1.0L sounds small , but I guess the Austin 7 wasn't even that and they went anywhere. Is it turbo ?
Very much so! IIRC it`s available in 3 states of tune, 100, 125 and 140BHP (and I read in a review when it came out that it could produce 180 with a bigger turbo). All from a 999cc 3cylinder block that will fit on a sheet of A4!
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1980 mk3 capri 2l ohc T9 , Toyota Blade Master 3.5l V6, Paso , 850T,rd400, 900ss

Post by Mc Tool »

Ah ,ok . Without wanting to piss in Nick's campfire I aint so sure about wringing heaps of power out of a small motor by bolting on turbo's. I know they have improved out of sight since they 1st got put on motors.
Here we have this ford ranger 4x4 thing , 3½ ton towing capacity, torque for africa , all from a twin sequential turbo 2.3L motor.
The way I see it is that the only way to increase power whilst retaining original engine capacity is to increase cylinder pressures. I cant see this being good for reliability or longevity .
Having said that Yamaha R1 1000cc engine ( naturally aspirated ) pokes out around 210 bhp ........at about 12,000rpm
I have heard great things about ecoboost motors just never knew anyone that had one .
We looked at a Ford focus titanium and I did like it , brother has had several of them ,but, I saw this toyota blade master , basically a corolla with a 278bhp v6 squeezed in......lot of fun .
Those hp figures you mention stevemarl seem pretty good should fly ........ha ha , faster than a bus aye Nick , enjoy mate .
stevemarl
Donator
Donator

Post by stevemarl »

Hamish,
"The 'brake mean effective pressure' is the ultimate measure of engine efficiency. A naturally-aspirated engine usually measures around 150psi here (that's the peak pressure on the piston crown), a good turbo well over 200psi. This tiny EcoBoost scores an extraordinary 348psi, all from an engine whose cast-iron block is small enough to sit on a sheet of A4 paper."

I know, it seems totally unfeasible to get that much out of 1 litre (more than an early Essex) reliably, but my brother`s been running them for years without any problem. Just amazing - sad that there`ll be no further development as it`s a technological dead end now. R.I.P.
mjcapri
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Diamond White Granada 24v

Caspian Blue Sierra XR4i

Stealth Grey Focus RS

Storm Grey Fiesta ST200 (actually belongs to the missus!)

Mean Green Fiesta ST-3

Post by mjcapri »

My mother currently has a C-Max with the 100ps engine and it’s decidedly pedestrian! Her previous car was a Focus with the 125ps version and that was perfectly fine. I’ve not driven anything with the 140ps version but the Fiestas in particular must go well! They’re actually tuneable these engines as well. In terms of reliability they’ve improved with time, pre-2014 they suffered from the infamous coolant leak issue but after that if looked after they should be fine. Maintenance is key with any of these modern highly stressed small capacity engines. The timing belts however are a complete nightmare to change, fortunately the interval is 10 year/150,000 miles which to me suggests it was never actually intended to be replaced at all!

Enjoy chucking it around Nick, any MK7 is a great car to drive. 8-)
stevemarl
Donator
Donator

Post by stevemarl »

mjcapri wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 9:49 am it’s decidedly pedestrian!
It would be after the cars you`ve got! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator

Post by Mc Tool »

stevemarl wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 9:34 am Hamish,
"The 'brake mean effective pressure' is the ultimate measure of engine efficiency. A naturally-aspirated engine usually measures around 150psi here (that's the peak pressure on the piston crown), a good turbo well over 200psi. This tiny EcoBoost scores an extraordinary 348psi, all from an engine whose cast-iron block is small enough to sit on a sheet of A4 paper."

I know, it seems totally unfeasible to get that much out of 1 litre (more than an early Essex) reliably, but my brother`s been running them for years without any problem. Just amazing - sad that there`ll be no further development as it`s a technological dead end now. R.I.P.
150psi "peak" ......thats cranking pressure on most engines, like a top fuel engine has peak cylinder pressure of 6000psi and bmep of 246psi
The 125bhp ecoboost has a peak cylinder pressure of 1800psi and bmep of 246 psi ......which is the same as the top fuel engine ( I know , it doesnt sound right but I checked 3 times 😀 ....as I realise the danger of posting wrong figures here 😁), according to google (both were quoted as 17bar , I just used the converter to get the psi )
Still doesnt sound right tho ......just reaching for my hard hat and bullet proof vest .................in comming 😀😀
stevemarl
Donator
Donator

Post by stevemarl »

Hamish,
Well spotted, I just took those figures as relative/ comparative numbers without thinking... I don`t know what the actual figures quoted mean, of course you`re quite right I get far more on a compression test. Maybe there`s some complex formula to convert unit pressure to "brake mean effective pressure". Whatever that is?
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

Mc Tool wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 9:09 am Ah ,ok . Without wanting to piss in Nick's campfire I aint so sure about wringing heaps of power out of a small motor by bolting on turbo's.
:lol: Dont worry Hamish I have no intention of wringing heaps of power out of my little 3 cylinder 1.0 Ecoboost mate but it really is an impressive drive without messing about with it. Im perfectly content with sitting on the 100bhp out of the box, especially as Siobhan is insured to drive it too 😳😳😳 :lol:

Mate of mine on fb posted this earlier today... 😳😳 :lol:

"Young lad pulled up at petrol station next to me capri in one earlier with a loud exhaust, he was excited to see the capri! I asked him is it an ST, he said no just has the badges its actually a 1.0 ecoboost hes had it mapped to 180bhp! I said that more than the 2.8! how power has increased! Although I guess it might be heavier than the capri lol"

Wonder just how big his exhaust was.!!!!!!
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

mjcapri wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 9:49 amThe timing belts however are a complete nightmare to change, fortunately the interval is 10 year/150,000 miles which to me suggests it was never actually intended to be replaced at all!
Yep I heard this too. IIRC the timing belt on tbese Ecoboost engines actually runs through the sump oil.!! Changing it is an engine out i think but as you say proper maintenance is a must and yes they are prob not meant to be changed anyway according to Fords confidence !! :lol:

Think this means also that using the correct Ford recommended engine oil is a must.!!!! 😳😂
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

andyd wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 5:20 am
Nice Fiesta Nick, but where have you been :headscratch: http://www.fordcapriforum.com/forum/vie ... 16&t=54617
Ahh I been about mate just not paying attention to much recently :) Nice one with the Sierra Andy. Looks lovely 👍
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator

Post by Mc Tool »

100bhp is plenty for sane use .
I remember ,probly late 80's ,there was a rumour that honda had made some wonderful ceramic motor , 250cc two cylinder ,twin turbo poking out a couple hundred neds ( dobbin's) if you like ).
Wimmin in cars 🙄,mine swears she doesnt flog the blade .......and then asks why it seems to rock from side to side and the steering wheel does too , when she "drives" off at the traffic lights :doh: . "Thats torque steer you lead footed bitch .....stop drag racing the boy racers .......thats my job " 😁😁
andyd
Car(s): 1981 XR3

Post by andyd »

Fordoholic Nick wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 8:33 pm
andyd wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 5:20 am
Ahh I been about mate just not paying attention to much recently :) Nice one with the Sierra Andy. Looks lovely 👍
No problem Nick :cheers:
mjcapri
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Diamond White Granada 24v

Caspian Blue Sierra XR4i

Stealth Grey Focus RS

Storm Grey Fiesta ST200 (actually belongs to the missus!)

Mean Green Fiesta ST-3

Post by mjcapri »

Fordoholic Nick wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 8:30 pm
mjcapri wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 9:49 amThe timing belts however are a complete nightmare to change, fortunately the interval is 10 year/150,000 miles which to me suggests it was never actually intended to be replaced at all!
Yep I heard this too. IIRC the timing belt on tbese Ecoboost engines actually runs through the sump oil.!! Changing it is an engine out i think but as you say proper maintenance is a must and yes they are prob not meant to be changed anyway according to Fords confidence !! :lol:

Think this means also that using the correct Ford recommended engine oil is a must.!!!! 😳😂
Yes you’re correct it’s a wet belt. They can be done in-situ but on the Fiesta in particular access is difficult so as you say some garages remove the engine. Either way you need the correctly calibrated torque multiplier to reassemble the thing….

To be honest I’ve used nothing but genuine Ford oil, filters etc. for years now. I get mine from a couple of different local dealerships and both apply very large discounts making it cheaper than buying none genuine. It would be even better if I could buy in bulk but the three modern Fords all require a different grade engine oil! :lol: