throttle cable replacement

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
Supercharged Nat
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Supercharged 2.1 (daily driver- when it works)

throttle cable replacement

Post by Supercharged Nat »

Hi everyone work is continuing on the capri. Im currently at the stage of trying to fit a new replacement (non genuine) throttle cable but am struggling to get the square end into the metal bracket that bolts to the inlet manifold (pinto engine)

Ive already lightly filed the square hole in the bracket but the plastic square part of the cable just isnt going in. Pure he-man might doesnt work norr mole grips/ pliers etc. It seem the little tabs that stop it from coming back out of the bracket once inserted just are not going to compress enough.

Anyone already tackled this? What did you do? (I dont want the break the new part)
Ta!
T.M.
Car(s): Capri 2.8 Injection (1984)

Re: throttle cable replacement

Post by T.M. »

Hi,
I changed throttle cable on my 2.8i last year and it wasn't easy job. It was impossible to do it in car. Bracket had to go out and it was "heavy duty action" in vice etc. But finally it's there. ;-)

Tom
Attachments
P1010854.jpg
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1980 mk3 capri 2l ohc T9 , Toyota Blade Master 3.5l V6, Paso , 850T,rd400, 900ss

Post by Mc Tool »

Did you remove the metal retainer clip from that block before trying to fit.......leaving that in sure would slow you down a bit.🙂
Sometimes I talk to myself ... and we both have a good laugh
Supercharged Nat
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Supercharged 2.1 (daily driver- when it works)

Post by Supercharged Nat »

Removing the metal clip did the trick, although getting that back in place after was difficult, it was definately easier than not removing it. I initially didnt want to remove it as it goes down a log way behind the plastic tabs and i was concerned at how far the tabs would need to bend away to allow the metal clip out, but it worked out ok i the end.
Thanks for the help :xd:
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1980 mk3 capri 2l ohc T9 , Toyota Blade Master 3.5l V6, Paso , 850T,rd400, 900ss

Post by Mc Tool »

Yeah , getting all 4 legs aligned at the same time aint easy , specially whilst leaning over the guard. Pleased you got it sorted .😀😀
Sometimes I talk to myself ... and we both have a good laugh
T.M.
Car(s): Capri 2.8 Injection (1984)

Post by T.M. »

Aaa, yes. Puting that metal ratainer clip back was the pain. Your right! ;) This I wasn't able to put back in car and had to do in the vice.

Tom