Sportex Exhaust 2.8i

You can RANT and RAVE to your hearts content here instead of clogging up the Q&A Technical Forum!
Report any offensive posts to [email protected]
Pedro 70
Car(s): Ford Focus titaniumX daily driver.
Ford Capri 2.8i. Superb, dry days only. Kawasaki GPZ 900R.

Sportex Exhaust 2.8i

Post by Pedro 70 »

Thought I would give my experience with the above exhausts. Purchased the full Sportex system manifold to tailpipe about a year ago from a company on Ebay.. Arrived in a plastic bag with lots of scratches apart from the protected 3 inch (big mistake,more later) chrome tail pipes. I have a carpeted garage so with ramps and axle stands, this was going to be a piece of cake ha ha, so I set about fitting the system. The system will fit, but it aint easy. The brackets on the silencers do not fit the brackets on the car so fabrication needed. Every joint needs to be in the right spot, you cannot just assemble it under the car and tighten up the clamps. It will joyfully hit the springs, axle, rear valance and anything else it can get close to and vibrate against. I think I put it on and off about four times until it cleared every thing, very frustrating. Even now the silencers do not have huge ground clearance and will scrape man sized speed ramps. It does sound gorgeous however, if a little loud, but even the MOT man didn't mind the decibels. Never ever have the window closed. Now the 3 inch end pipes. Apart from the extra faff in getting them to clear the rear valance, I think they look a bit boy racerish! So do other drivers it appears, as it seems to annoy some and they must do anything to overtake. I am sure this did not happen with the old pipes. I contacted the company I bought the system from asking if I could purchase the two tail sections in 2 inch end pipes. They never got back touch despite numerous reminders. Much the same with Sportex themselves, no reply to calls/mails etc. I now have to either purchase another system or live with what I have got. Think it will be the latter. Would I buy another Sportex system? Probably not, might be worth the extra outlay on a better system. And a 3 inch pipe, oh no.
As an aside, I had the remains of a tin of hammerite white paint in the garage so painted the system with it before assembly, thinking it would burn off but leave some protective residue. To my surprise, some I year and 2000 miles later it is still there, shiny white and matching the diamond white paintwork.
Hope that was of some interest to someone . All the best to everyone on the forum, keep safe. Peter
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Re: Sportex Exhaust 2.8i

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Hi Peter,
Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts and experiences of the Sportex exhaust system.
I can't recall anybody being able to fit the system straight on the car without some form of jiggery-pokery to get a decent fit.
I've got the 2" tailpipe on mine and I think that looks and sounds just right.

Andrew.
Major_Tom
Car(s): 2.0S

Post by Major_Tom »

Yes they all need fiddling with, especially getting the leaf spring / lower quarter area sorted.

I have 3" tail on my mild steel exhaust... because it was the cheapest option! Looks ok though.
I'm the one who leaves all those shoes in the carriageway.
D366Y
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1986 Laser 1.6, daily runaround project
1981 GL Auto 2.0, Barn-Find-Resto, now also a runaround project
1980 3.0S, crash damage resto
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Currently full up and no more space but I still want a 2.8...

Post by D366Y »

I had the 3" sportex without the backbox as it was the cheapest option and it worked a treat and sounded alright to me

Glad I went up to 3 and a half though with the stainless I had made 😁
A wise man once said... "you can never have too many capris - buy another" :beer:
It's me, I'm the wise man.
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser,
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

Post by Fordoholic Nick »

Im with Tom and Danny. I dont think the 3" looks boy Racer at all. In fact it really sits well in what is after all a sports coupe. While the standard one does the job absolutely fine and sounds fine i personally always tbought the rear end needed something bigger and I always wanted to be able to brag I have a bigger shaft than Jason too :lol: :lol: :lol:

I was born a Fordoholic, They'll bury me a Fordoholic...
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser Mercury Grey 1987 hobby .
Mercedes Vito tourer 2.1 Big Bus Daily Driver

Post by Jasonmarie »

You know what my wife says about blokes with big exhausts :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Ford Capri 2.0 Laser 1987 Mercury Grey ....... :beer:
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

Jasonmarie wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 10:06 pm You know what my wife says about blokes with big exhausts :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
:lol: Yes she told me over a nice cup of tea didnt she
Wideboy1
Car(s): 3.0 Ghia S Replica

Post by Wideboy1 »

Sportex can be a bit fiddly to fit however there are a limited number of exhaust suppliers out there so sometimes you have to go with what's available.
I have 3" tailpipes but let them into the rear valance so they sit higher across the axle and have some room on the rear body work
Pedro 70
Car(s): Ford Focus titaniumX daily driver.
Ford Capri 2.8i. Superb, dry days only. Kawasaki GPZ 900R.

Post by Pedro 70 »

Thanks for all your comments and pics guys. My 3 inch pipes are looking better all the time. Regards. Peter
Not_Anumber
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Just sold 1983 2.8 Injection 5 speed. Currently restoring another classic Previously owned 2 Capris. Likely to own another at some point

Post by Not_Anumber »

When I got my 2.8 the Sportex exhaust on there insisted on knocking against just about every part of the underside that it possibly could. The previous owner was apologetic as he had just put it on and couldnt get it right. I actually sourced a standard original exhaust & cast manifolds but when I went to swap the systems over I quickly realised the Sportex just needed slackening off and all the parts rotated correctly. It was soon as right as rain so i saw no point in fitting the standard system.
80s-new-man
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.9 Cosworth Dec 1984, reg. Feb 1985
Ford Sierra XR4x4 2.9 1992
Jaguar XJR SC 4.0 2001

Post by 80s-new-man »

It’s taken me about 18 months to realise the SS exhaust rear section sometimes (if going fast) bangs against the side of the rear leaf spring, when going down a dip.. my mechanic pointed this out, but only after going through everything and every bush to make sure..
pain really, but she sounds so awesome that I am tending to leave alone rather than cut and manipulate the 3” exhaust..
Cheers
:cheers:
Capri 2.9i Special 1984 Cossie 24v BOB heart transplant
Sierra XR4x4 2.9i 1992
Jaguar XJR 4.0 SC 2001
Jaguar F-Type 3.0S sc 380
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1980 mk3 capri 2l ohc T9 , Toyota Blade Master 3.5l V6, Paso , 850T,rd400, 900ss

Post by Mc Tool »

Cut a chunk out of the spring 😁
Sometimes I talk to myself ... and we both have a good laugh
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Post by pbar »

Pedro 70 wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 11:14 am As an aside, I had the remains of a tin of hammerite white paint in the garage so painted the system with it before assembly, thinking it would burn off but leave some protective residue. To my surprise, some I year and 2000 miles later it is still there, shiny white and matching the diamond white paintwork.

That's pretty incredible. To be honest I've been using Hammerite more and more recently, both brush on and spray, metals and plastics, seems to cover everything very well. Never thought about painting an exhaust with it though, that's great!
stevemarl
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri 1.6 laser

Post by stevemarl »

It works well and looks good!
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Post by pbar »

Who needs VHT paint when you can use Hammerite.
Major_Tom
Car(s): 2.0S

Post by Major_Tom »

Jasonmarie wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 10:06 pm You know what my wife says about blokes with big exhausts :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Yes, big exhaust clamps :)
I'm the one who leaves all those shoes in the carriageway.
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator

Post by Jasonmarie »

Funny I got this sent in the post from a laser forum member :lol: :lol: :lol: I think it’s the 3” exhaust :lol:

Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

Jasonmarie wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 12:30 pm Funny I got this sent in the post from a laser forum member :lol: :lol: :lol: I think it’s the 3” exhaust :lol:

Now who would send that to somebody Jason 🤔🤔🤣
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator

Post by Jasonmarie »

Fordoholic Nick wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 5:31 pm
Jasonmarie wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 12:30 pm Funny I got this sent in the post from a laser forum member :lol: :lol: :lol: I think it’s the 3” exhaust :lol:

Now who would send that to somebody Jason 🤔🤔🤣
Do you think the brake bleeding machine will help ? If so could you send it back to me :lol: