I know we should be thankful, but.

You can RANT and RAVE to your hearts content here instead of clogging up the Q&A Technical Forum!
Report any offensive posts to [email protected]
stevemarl
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri 1.6 laser

I know we should be thankful, but.

Post by stevemarl »

Genuine Ford gasket + p&p from a Ford main dealer £8: fromCCI £29.50. That IS taking the piss.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/224531586347 ... 4531586347

https://www.capriclub.co.uk/Type_9_Gear ... --836.html
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Re: I know we should be thankful, but.

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

stevemarl wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 7:53 pm Genuine Ford gasket + p&p from a Ford main dealer £8: fromCCI £29.50.
I know this is missing the point of your post, but the price is shown as £18.99 on the website, not £29.50. :)

Andrew.
stevemarl
Donator
Donator

Post by stevemarl »

Andrew,
that`s member`s price, not inc. p&p of £6.50, so for me it`s £22.79 + £6.50. I was comparing total cost for myself.
Last edited by stevemarl on Wed Jul 14, 2021 5:17 am, edited 2 times in total.
andyd
Car(s): 1981 XR3

Post by andyd »

As a non member and inc postage @ £6.50 that would cost me £29.29 :roll:

I would always look elsewhere first and would only pay that if there was no other option or really desperate!
stevemarl
Donator
Donator

Post by stevemarl »

andyd wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 5:06 am As a non member and inc postage @ £6.50 that would cost me £22.29
No - for non-member that`s £22.79 PLUS £6.50 p&p so £29.29. So 3.5x the price from a Ford dealer
andyd

Post by andyd »

stevemarl wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 5:10 am
andyd wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 5:06 am As a non member and inc postage @ £6.50 that would cost me £22.29
No - for non-member that`s £22.79 PLUS £6.50 p&p so £29.29. So 3.5x the price from a Ford dealer
I did edit my price Steve (It is early even with a calculator) :D

Worth buying a couple of Ford ones at that price, incase you need at later date.
stevemarl
Donator
Donator

Post by stevemarl »

You`d probably done it in the time it took me to reply :lol:
I understand it`s a business, and some mark-up is fair enough, but when it gets over 100%, that`s just ripping off your customers/members.
andyd

Post by andyd »

stevemarl wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 5:24 am
I understand it`s a business, and some mark-up is fair enough, but when it gets over 100%, that`s just ripping off your customers/members.
:agree:
And it's nice to see a few sellers that are still reasonable with their pricing/postage!
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1980 mk3 capri 2l ohc T9 , Toyota Blade Master 3.5l V6, Paso , 850T,rd400, 900ss

Post by Mc Tool »

andyd wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 5:16 am

Worth buying a couple of Ford ones at that price, incase you need at later date.
Yeah , get a few , keep one or two and put the rest on ebay for £ 15 each 😁. I have done this a few times , so long as I get a free one out of it in the end Im happy .
Sometimes I talk to myself ... and we both have a good laugh
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Post by pbar »

I have to say that, it seems to me that the ebay price is unusually cheap, as opposed to the club price being high.

Might be worth comparing other suppliers too, to get a more rounded outlook.
Bug
Car(s): Some

Post by Bug »

stevemarl wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 7:53 pm Genuine Ford gasket + p&p from a Ford main dealer £8: fromCCI £29.50. That IS taking the piss.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/224531586347 ... 4531586347

https://www.capriclub.co.uk/Type_9_Gear ... --836.html
What were you thinking! Shouting about it on here?
Should have bought 20, then said "Hey guys, I can sell you gaskets for £15 each. That's HALF the price of CCI".
;)
stevemarl
Donator
Donator

Post by stevemarl »

Paul,
TBH, it`s only a gasket, the Ford price sounds about right? A similar thing came up a couple of weeks back where someone had bought a viscous coupling. IIRC it still had the Land Rover part number on it, and checking it turned out to be significantly cheaper to get the exact same item from a LR dealer. There were also the wiper nut covers, £12 each from CCI, LR price £3.. Then there`s the £72 resistors.
As I did say, I do accept he needs to make a profit, and I appreciate he gets stuff made, but to put a 350% mark-up is, I think, excessive? Ford and LR won`t be selling stuff at a loss, there`ll already be a profit at their prices.
Also, many places will give free p&p over a certain amount: CCI it goes UP from £6.50 to £15 if you spend over £50.
andyd

Post by andyd »

stevemarl wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 9:44 am
Also, many places will give free p&p over a certain amount: CCI it goes UP from £6.50 to £15 if you spend over £50.
£6.50 p&p is alot for an item that weighs next to nothing, even if it does come in a jiffy bag strengthend with card for example.

I bought a small item from Ebay on the 6th free p&p and estimated delivery was 15th to 17th with Royal Mail. I got an email on the 6th to say the item was being posted so where does it go for 9 or 10 days :headscratch: Surely if it is posted it will naturally arrive within the time for the 2nd class payment cost!

If they didn't post it until today that would have made more sense :?
stevemarl
Donator
Donator

Post by stevemarl »

I know this sounds like I`ve got it in for everyone today, but Royal Mail can, sometimes, leave a lot to be desired. I`ve had stuff (tracked) sit in a depot for days, why? I think, if they had no post whatsoever other than your 2nd class parcel - it would still get there in 2-3 days, simply because it HAS to , to justify 1st class?
On a different issue, I waited for one parcel, after a week (or two?) I contacted the selleer, he`d been notified of an attempted delivery/returned to local P.O. No card and on checking CCTV, no mail van came anywhere near my house on that day. Presumably, it was the last drop, they couldn`t be bothered so claimed non-delivery, dropped at the P.O. and off home. That`s not typical, most of the staff work their b******s off, it`s the system that`s to blame, but it`s very poor compared to the German firms.
andyd

Post by andyd »

stevemarl wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 12:01 pm I know this sounds like I`ve got it in for everyone today, but Royal Mail can, sometimes, leave a lot to be desired. I`ve had stuff (tracked) sit in a depot for days, why? I think, if they had no post whatsoever other than your 2nd class parcel - it would still get there in 2-3 days, simply because it HAS to , to justify 1st class?
On a different issue, I waited for one parcel, after a week (or two?) I contacted the selleer, he`d been notified of an attempted delivery/returned to local P.O. No card and on checking CCTV, no mail van came anywhere near my house on that day. Presumably, it was the last drop, they couldn`t be bothered so claimed non-delivery, dropped at the P.O. and off home. That`s not typical, most of the staff work their b******s off, it`s the system that`s to blame, but it`s very poor compared to the German firms.
Worst thing is having a tracking number as you say it shows it often sits around for hours on end, then again some items arrive next day ahead of time.

I was a postman for 6 months about 25 years ago and delivered what I was given, but had no idea how the letters got to me as that wasn't my problem.

Some lazy sods can't be bothered as in many jobs, but if my item is sitting around somewhere just deliver the thing!

Obviousy I'm not in a hurry for it as I would have picked an item with quicker delivery time, just curious :?
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

It would be interesting to see how much the gasket is from a Ford dealer.
When I was pricing up EFL90 filters, a Ford dealer was selling them on Ebay for about half the price that I was quoted for one from another Ford dealer. I wonder if it's a similar situation in this case?

Andrew.
andyd

Post by andyd »

Andrew 2.8i wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 2:54 pm It would be interesting to see how much the gasket is from a Ford dealer.

Andrew.
Let us know how you get on :lol:
Andrew 2.8i wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 2:54 pm
When I was pricing up EFL90 filters, a Ford dealer was selling them on Ebay for about half the price that I was quoted for one from another Ford dealer. I wonder if it's a similar situation in this case?

Andrew.
You do feel obliged to stock pile when you get that situation :cool:
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

andyd wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 3:36 pm You do feel obliged to stock pile when you get that situation :cool:
Funny you should say that..... :lol:

Andrew.
andyd

Post by andyd »

Andrew 2.8i wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 3:48 pm
andyd wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 3:36 pm You do feel obliged to stock pile when you get that situation :cool:
Funny you should say that..... :lol:

Andrew.
You know the old saying, if something looks too be to be true.....Buy it :D

I have 2 oil filters and a sump plug for the Mustang I no longer own :? Will attempt to get rid of them at a car show when I get a chance.
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Post by pbar »

stevemarl wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 9:44 am but to put a 350% mark-up is, I think, excessive?
That is of course assuming that CCI paid that ebay price for their item Steve. We don't know that though of course, for all we know they could only be making a 5 or 10% profit, or your figure could well be right, who knows how much they bought their stock at?

I have had a quick look to find prices elsewhere, places such as Tickover don't even seem to sell them.

Completely agree with above comments regrading inflated postage prices. In fact, the only place which springs to mind for proper postage costs is CapriGear, Martin always seems to ask the actual postage cost and not some fabricated price.