Back to a classic!

Use this forum to post you cars pictures, history and modifications.
andyd
Car(s): 1981 XR3

Back to a classic!

Post by andyd »

After a few issues with the Mustang I recently parted ways with it and have agreed to buy this from a mate who trades a few cars in his spare time.
Inked3rd July 2021_LI.jpg
1984 1.6GL, recently out of 12 year storage after the 2nd owner died in 2008, under 45k miles and 95% original paintwork. All windows and lights still have the reg number etched on them and it still has original dealer sticker and number plates.

A handful of jobs to sort but should have it with me by end of the month and hopefully attend a couple of shows in August :D

Never thought I would become a member of the 'Pinto (Best engine in the world) Brigade' :headscratch:
D366Y
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1986 Laser 1.6, daily runaround project
1981 GL Auto 2.0, Barn-Find-Resto, now also a runaround project
1980 3.0S, crash damage resto
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Currently full up and no more space but I still want a 2.8...

Re: Back to a classic!

Post by D366Y »

Surprised to hear you got rid of the Mustang!
Will certainly be a change of pacing halving your cylinders :lol:

Welcome back to classic motoring!!
A wise man once said... "you can never have too many capris - buy another" :beer:
It's me, I'm the wise man.
andyd

Post by andyd »

D366Y wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 9:58 am Surprised to hear you got rid of the Mustang!

HI Danny,
It wasn't the plan but an oil leak on an expensive 3 year old car is not acceptable in my book, even though I was offered a fix it was alot of hassle and to be honest running the car (not fuel wise) isn't cheap, insurance, garage labour for jobs you couldn't do easily at home, far too much tech I wasn't interested in and not using it that much with the restrictions it's better off with someone else, and I have now scratched the V8 itch :cool:
D366Y wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 9:58 am

It's great to be back, it just feels right :D
D366Y
Donator
Donator
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Post by D366Y »

andyd wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 10:43 am
D366Y wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 9:58 am Surprised to hear you got rid of the Mustang!

HI Danny,
It wasn't the plan but an oil leak on an expensive 3 year old car is not acceptable in my book, even though I was offered a fix it was alot of hassle and to be honest running the car (not fuel wise) isn't cheap, insurance, garage labour for jobs you couldn't do easily at home, far too much tech I wasn't interested in and not using it that much with the restrictions it's better off with someone else, and I have now scratched the V8 itch :cool:
D366Y wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 9:58 am

It's great to be back, it just feels right :D
Yowch that does sound a bit naff... All very understandable reasons and similar to why I never got either a Mustang or Focus RS - will be next to impossible to fix at home, expensive to run and just loads of tech I'm not that interested in when I just want to enjoy driving it when I get in it!

I still need to scratch my V8 itch though :lol:

You can get used to having proper oil leaks now!!
A wise man once said... "you can never have too many capris - buy another" :beer:
andyd

Post by andyd »

D366Y wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 12:05 pm

Yowch that does sound a bit naff... All very understandable reasons and similar to why I never got either a Mustang or Focus RS - will be next to impossible to fix at home, expensive to run and just loads of tech I'm not that interested in when I just want to enjoy driving it when I get in it!

I still need to scratch my V8 itch though :lol:

You can get used to having proper oil leaks now!!
Mustangs and Focus RS are great cars but too fast for our roads, only a heavy right foot away from trouble :drive:

Rocker cover gasket already leaking and on the list of fixes :)
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Hi Andy,
Great looking Sierra there!
To be honest, I thought the Mustang would have been a keeper, but you're right when you say that problems like you had are unacceptable on a new car.

I look forward to seeing the Sierra in the flesh some time.

Andrew.
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Post by pbar »

I'm also surprised to see that you have let the Mustang go Andy, but it's fair enough, and as you say you have done as you wished and owned/driven one which must have been a great overall experience. I like you're new aquisition, good to have you back in the classic world again :)
andyd

Post by andyd »

Andrew 2.8i wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 4:12 pm Hi Andy,
Great looking Sierra there!
To be honest, I thought the Mustang would have been a keeper, but you're right when you say that problems like you had are unacceptable on a new car.

I look forward to seeing the Sierra in the flesh some time.

Andrew.
pbar wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 4:46 pm I'm also surprised to see that you have let the Mustang go Andy, but it's fair enough, and as you say you have done as you wished and owned/driven one which must have been a great overall experience. I like you're new aquisition, good to have you back in the classic world again :)
Thanks chaps :cheers:

Also having that amount of money tied up in one car can be some what unnerving.

If anyone is interested here is the video my mate did for the car https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0zgIdabPvxo
And at 9.15 the Sierra featured again here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9f7szfcl7fg

He has others on Youtube all as informative :)
Brooksy
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1987 2.0 laser (fair weather car)

Post by Brooksy »

:wave: Hey Andy, blimey I never expected that!

Well, all I can say is welcome back to a classic Ford! Sierra looks and sounds great mate. GL trim level means a few more luxuries too - good to see an early one too! :cool:

We'll have to catch up soon mate.
andyd wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 8:17 am After a few issues with the Mustang I recently parted ways with it and have agreed to buy this from a mate who trades a few cars in his spare time.

Inked3rd July 2021_LI.jpg

1984 1.6GL, recently out of 12 year storage after the 2nd owner died in 2008, under 45k miles and 95% original paintwork. All windows and lights still have the reg number etched on them and it still has original dealer sticker and number plates.

A handful of jobs to sort but should have it with me by end of the month and hopefully attend a couple of shows in August :D

Never thought I would become a member of the 'Pinto (Best engine in the world) Brigade' :headscratch:
Nige Image
Noel
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri 2.8i
Range Rover
M140i

Post by Noel »

That Sierra looks great, looks so modern yet is now knocking on 40 as a design.
Shame to hear the Mustang didn't work out.
andyd

Post by andyd »

Brooksy wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 6:47 pm :wave: Hey Andy, blimey I never expected that!

Well, all I can say is welcome back to a classic Ford! Sierra looks and sounds great mate. GL trim level means a few more luxuries too - good to see an early one too! :cool:

We'll have to catch up soon mate.

Will do Nige, not seen you for ages :cheers:
Noel wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 6:59 pm That Sierra looks great, looks so modern yet is now knocking on 40 as a design.
Shame to hear the Mustang didn't work out.
Finding such an original car now it had to be done :)

Well at least I've owned a Mustang now :cool:
Major_Tom
Car(s): 2.0S

Post by Major_Tom »

I do like Sierras, outside and inside.
I'm the one who leaves all those shoes in the carriageway.
andyd

Post by andyd »

Major_Tom wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 10:42 am I do like Sierras, outside and inside.
:cool:
I remember seeing a picture of one in a newspaper supplement when they came out in 1982, and like many others wasn't sure of the looks after the squareness of the Cortina etc that were still around at the time, a jelly mould seemed about right :)

They have aged well and don't look too out of place now although quite a rare sight on the roads, and imo one of the best value older Fords currently available!

This is my second Sierra the last one was a '89 XR4x4.
Not_Anumber
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Just sold 1983 2.8 Injection 5 speed. Currently restoring another classic Previously owned 2 Capris. Likely to own another at some point

Post by Not_Anumber »

I still think they look far better than any of the Mondeos that followed. Still not sure why Ford turned their back on RWD.
D366Y
Donator
Donator
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Post by D366Y »

Bit random but it's just struck me that I have a set of 7 spoke (I think RS option) wheels for the Sierra currently sat in my shed I am looking to shift if they may be of interest Andy? (No original centre caps, but I have made my own!)

I can send pictures over for you if they are of interest but the part numbers stamped on them are H85SXDA 5013239.
Here's a quick link to what I managed to find online about them as well;

https://picclick.co.uk/FORD-FIESTA-ESCO ... 48959.html
https://ford.7zap.com/en/car/78/no/144/ ... 916/86916/

No worries if not but just thought I' offer them to you first before throwing them on ebay

Cheers
Danny
andyd

Post by andyd »

D366Y wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 8:21 am Bit random but it's just struck me that I have a set of 7 spoke (I think RS option) wheels for the Sierra currently sat in my shed I am looking to shift if they may be of interest Andy? (No original centre caps, but I have made my own!)

No worries if not but just thought I' offer them to you first before throwing them on ebay

Cheers
Danny
Hi Danny,
Thanks for the offer, although tyre choices are limited I have just put a new set on the original wheels so will run these for the foreseeable future, also something about keeping it original for as long as possible :cheers:
D366Y
Donator
Donator
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Post by D366Y »

andyd wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 9:20 am
D366Y wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 8:21 am Bit random but it's just struck me that I have a set of 7 spoke (I think RS option) wheels for the Sierra currently sat in my shed I am looking to shift if they may be of interest Andy? (No original centre caps, but I have made my own!)

Cheers
Danny
Hi Danny,
Thanks for the offer, although tyre choices are limited I have just put a new set on the original wheels so will run these for the foreseeable future, also something about keeping it original for as long as possible :cheers:
No worries, I thought that may be the case - if anyone knows someone who wants these please let me/them know so I can shift them! :)

Cheers
andyd

Post by andyd »

D366Y wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 10:43 am

No worries, I thought that may be the case - if anyone knows someone who wants these please let me/them know so I can shift them! :)

Cheers
Try these guys http://www.sierrasrus.co.uk/ They might collect if or when around your area or put them on Gumtree for a while.

:goodluck:
D366Y
Donator
Donator
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Post by D366Y »

andyd wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 11:47 am
D366Y wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 10:43 am

Cheers
Try these guys http://www.sierrasrus.co.uk/ They might collect if or when around your area or put them on Gumtree for a while.

:goodluck:
Great stuff cheers Andy, will drop them a line!
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser Mercury Grey 1987 hobby .
Mercedes Vito tourer 2.1 Big Bus Daily Driver

Post by Jasonmarie »

Nice one andy :cool: , so the mustang has gone .
Ford Capri 2.0 Laser 1987 Mercury Grey ....... :beer: