Battery Isolator

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
D366Y
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1986 Laser 1.6, daily runaround project
1981 GL Auto 2.0, Barn-Find-Resto, now also a runaround project
1980 3.0S, crash damage resto
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Currently full up and no more space but I still want a 2.8...

Re: Battery Isolator

Post by D366Y »

stevemarl wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 10:50 am Danny,
I`m sure there must have been a fault with either the battery or the panel, as there`s a diode on the output so electricity can only come out of the panel: if the diode`s OK it`s impossible for it to flatten a battery. I can only say from my experience re. the Punto, when she got a company car it became `surplus to requirements` and was just left n the street for about 6 months till MOT time. That car has a computer, alarm (with ultrasonics) so probably woud have more drain than the Capri, (with just a clock), yet it started fine.
I also have one at my remote garage (no mains), that has LED lighting run off a couple of SLA batteries and a small panel in the window which keeps them topped up. That also seems to work OK. I think it`s worth considering?
Is there anywhere on the front dash I could balance this and plug it in?
That would be my main thought if I were to go down this route as without a parcel shelf there is nowhere in the back that is safe for it - tools everywhere sliding back and forth would make mincemeat of it!
A wise man once said... "you can never have too many capris - buy another" :beer:
It's me, I'm the wise man.
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Post by pbar »

Some of these panels come with a cigarette lighter attachment I think, or you could wire one on, you could just plug it in then as I think that's a permanent live. Just leaving the panel on the seat may work, but I think I would be wary of someone wanting to steal it if it is on show.
stevemarl
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri 1.6 laser

Post by stevemarl »

Paul,
you`re right , the Capri`s lighter IS permanent live and I think they do come with a plug (although Punto`s not so we hard-wired ours). It`s funny, we never thought about the theft aspect, we had it on the parcel shelf, parked on the road for all to see :roll: Then again, the Punto has a decent alarm and maybe Stockport scrotes know this? They`ve no great value either.
I can take the one from garage and try sitting it on the dashtop later, I`m sure it would fit, only about 5" deep. It would work on the seat though, they don`t need full sunlight to work.

Edit: There you go, barely noticeable ;)
pbar

Post by pbar »

I've just been in Aldi and funnily enough they have the panels in, £15, and it does include the cigarette lighter adapter too. Probably a little bigger than yours in the photo. I would still be worried about leaving it on show in the car, I don't like to leave anything on show, but it is an idea.
stevemarl
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri 1.6 laser

Post by stevemarl »

pbar wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 10:41 am worried about leaving it on show in the car, I don't like to leave anything on show
Completely agree, I always remove dashcam etc, although it depends on area and situation `foot-fall` etc. If it was on a drive for example where people arem`t walking past then it`s relatively safe I suppose. £15 a good price.
I guess people see a Punto and assume there`s nowt worth stealing... :)
pbar

Post by pbar »

I saw this Capri at a car show recently, it has the wheel type isolator and a standard square battery terminal too.

andyd
Car(s): 1981 XR3

Post by andyd »

pbar wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 7:02 pm I saw this Capri at a car show recently, it has the wheel type isolator and a standard square battery terminal too.
That's a clean engine bay :)

I tried fitting one but it wouldn't cut the power :headscratch: But it's ready to go on the Sierra as that has round terminals :cool:
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1980 mk3 capri 2l ohc T9 , Toyota Blade Master 3.5l V6, Paso , 850T,rd400, 900ss

Post by Mc Tool »

It is a clean engine bay , that round clamp on a square peg is the worst thing there ......right in your face 🙂
Sometimes I talk to myself ... and we both have a good laugh
pbar

Post by pbar »

This is that Capri in full, 2.0 Laser, (the expansion bottle draws my attention in that previous engine bay pic!) and below that another very clean engine bay from the same show. There are always lots of Capri's at the local area shows which I go to, I do think it is one of the most common cars at the shows.

andyd
Car(s): 1981 XR3

Post by andyd »

pbar wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 8:37 pm This is that Capri in full, 2.0 Laser, (the expansion bottle draws my attention in that previous engine bay pic!) and below that another very clean engine bay from the same show. There are always lots of Capri's at the local area shows which I go to, I do think it is one of the most common cars at the shows.

As nice as a clean engine bay is, I'm afraid that spending hours cleaning one is not for me!

Rare sight now, Talbot Horizon in the background! That's why I like car shows brings back memories of things you'd forgotton about :D
pbar

Post by pbar »

Completely agree with you Andy, on both the engine bay cleaning and on spotting what used to be everyday cars at the shows.