2.8 Capri

Use this forum to post you cars pictures, history and modifications.
Dansta
Car(s): 1985 2.8i Special
Jaguar F-Pace daily driver

2.8 Capri

Post by Dansta »

After a 2 year hiatus driven by divorce, mental health, house move and making it habitable, I've finally been able to prioritise time on the Capri.

Gearbox strip and rebuild:

My car was originally built as a 5 speed, but a previous owner put a 4 speeder into it. Unfortunately most of the oil exited through the tail seal and it packed up. So i bought a replacement type 9 that upon disassembly looked like it was from a 2.3 Sierra. Anyway a few pics of disassembly and powder coating the housing. Loving the Haynes manual description for removing the main shaft from the intermediate housing - support on wooden blocks and drive the mainshaft out of the centre bearing with a soft faced mallet. After an hour I gave up and discovered "The Machine Shop" in Hinkley and used their hydraulic press and powdercoat booth. Castings were cleaned then heated for an hour prior to coating.

I've ordered a replacement gearset and HD layshaft mod from BGH plus new bearings, gaskets and seals. And a 2.8 correct speedo worm drive and gear. Hopefully in a couple of weeks I'll be ready to reassemble.
tazla
Car(s): Mk2 3.0s stardust silver

Re: 2.8 Capri

Post by tazla »

Nice job your doing there.theres nothing better than refurbing and restoring etc.once i start messing with the capri nothing else comes close haha. Keep up the good work :D