Capri Parts For Sale and Wanted
D366Y
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1986 Laser 1.6, daily runaround project
1981 GL Auto 2.0, Barn-Find-Resto, now also a runaround project
1980 3.0S, crash damage resto
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Currently full up and no more space but I still want a 2.8...

Pinto Auto Gearbox For Sale

Post by D366Y »

Not by me!
Found this on a local breaker's website and they also have an opening rear quarter window for £40

https://parts.asm-autos.co.uk/find-auto ... 4Mi1hbTAx/
A wise man once said... "you can never have too many capris - buy another" :beer:
It's me, I'm the wise man.
stevemarl
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri 1.6 laser

Re: Pinto Auto Gearbox For Sale

Post by stevemarl »

Danny,
That`s not auto, that`s just the manual with the external selector linkage (type H?). The clutch release bearings still there.
D366Y
Donator
Donator
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Re: Pinto Gearbox For Sale

Post by D366Y »

stevemarl wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 11:10 am Danny,
That`s not auto, that`s just the manual with the external selector linkage (type H?). The clutch release bearings still there.
In that case my apologies! They've advertised it as auto and I didn't check - either way, may be of use to someone :)
A wise man once said... "you can never have too many capris - buy another" :beer:
stevemarl
Donator
Donator

Post by stevemarl »

Yeah you`re right, they must be getting pretty thin on the ground now, and as the gear linkage etc is entirely different, you can`t just drop any box in: someone will be glad of it!
Can`t remember, are you still running the auto box?
D366Y
Donator
Donator
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Post by D366Y »

stevemarl wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 12:48 pm Yeah you`re right, they must be getting pretty thin on the ground now, and as the gear linkage etc is entirely different, you can`t just drop any box in: someone will be glad of it!
Can`t remember, are you still running the auto box?
I am still running it in the GL yes - not been using it at all really since about December as it's running on 3cylinders and obviously therefore runs like total shit. Sick of trying to figure it out as well - it's had new points, rotor arm, cap, leads, sparks, coil and I even tried to fit electronic ignition to see if that solved the problem and none of it worked.

Having my bathroom re-done at the moment so obviously not staying there, and the Laser is having the engine rebuilt and converted to unleaded so will stick the GL in a garage to let them solve it when I get that back!

Good thing I bought that '93 Fez!! Only thing still bloody working :lol:
stevemarl
Donator
Donator

Post by stevemarl »

D366Y wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 2:33 pm Good thing I bought that '93 Fez!! Only thing still bloody working
Oh, I know what that`s like - I got a Punto off my brother: wife got company car so surplus. Should have scrapped it but it`s quite a nice little car, and passed its MOT no advisories. After a week the starter went: strangely the `nose` was missing when we took it out, assumed it was broken when he`d had the clutch done in a garage years ago . Replaced that, next day got 1 mile down the road - clutch went (pedal stuck on floor then did come back, but slipping badly). Pissed off, shoved it in the garage and taxed the Uno . Sat for a couple of months as I couldn`t face it. When I eventually got round to it this is what I found:
You couldn`t make it up, the piece of starter had wedged behind the release arm so was holding the clutch partly depressed. Unbelievable! Still got to take `box off to sort it - which is a pain!
Been working on it `as and when`, (it`s so ******* cold!!!) it`s all done now, just needs starter, driveshaft, hubs, caliper, sensors, battery tray ..... etc putting back. So yesterday the Uno started cutting out, dying at lights, struggles to start again (great at filter lights!) - generally driving like a bastard. Idle`s gone up to 1500 but it will only tick over for 15 seconds then starts to cough, splutter and stalls. Like an air leak but all checked OK except the vac adv unit, which WAS leaking so replaced; that made no difference. So I`ve got one 1/2 finished, one that`s undriveable and the Capri, the only one that works, has no MOT and is SORNed.
I`ve a theory that it could be the fuel pump: if that`s failing could it, at idle, be allowing the float level to fall till it gets too low and stalls (running above idle = more fuel pumped) It`s just odd that it always idles for 15 seconds then stalls?
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Post by pbar »

What about the Smart, Steve, is that off the grid also?
stevemarl
Donator
Donator

Post by stevemarl »

It`s legal, but since she`s not been having lessons, it`s not moved for prob. 3 months? I`m sure it would need a jump start by now - plus it`s `her` car so I`d have to ask every time. :roll: Anyway, I finished the Punto today so I am mobile again. Uno`s perplexing: all the symptoms say air leak, but I`ve checked everything, even blanked off servo, all OK, and gauge shows good vacuum. Swapped the ignition pick up module just in case, not that, but the spark keeps going right till the engine stops, I`m sure it`s fuel. I`ll put the Colourtune plug in tomorrow so I can see if it`s leaning out or flooding as it dies. At least now I can put it in a garage to work on!
How`s progress with yours?
stevemarl
Donator
Donator

Post by stevemarl »

Turns out all it was was a worn needle valve! Must have been not quite sealing so fuel was seeping past, the fuel level rose very slowly until it became too rich and stalled. All because there`s a barely perceptible ridge on the needle.
D366Y
Donator
Donator
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Post by D366Y »

stevemarl wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 11:32 am Turns out all it was was a worn needle valve! Must have been not quite sealing so fuel was seeping past, the fuel level rose very slowly until it became too rich and stalled. All because there`s a barely perceptible ridge on the needle.
Fair play for finding that!