1977 Mk2 3.0 S

Capris For Sale and Wanted Adverts
Post Reply
wested
Posts: 10
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2020 9:59 am
Car(s): Mk2 Ford Capri

1977 Mk2 3.0 S

Post by wested »

This rather stunning 1977 Mk2 3.0 S in silver is also coming up in that auction that was mentioned in a previous post.
Cheque books at the ready for next Saturday 12th December. 😀


https://www.classiccarauctions.co.uk/ev ... -mkii-3.0s
andyd
Posts: 7624
Joined: Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:43 am
Car(s): 1984 Ford Sierra 1.6GL
Location: Devon

Re: 1977 Mk2 3.0 S

Post by andyd »

Nice car especially with the recaro seats :cool:

Mattewsons have 3 Capris at their December auction https://mathewsons.co.uk/auctions/14426 ... mber-20202
User avatar
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Posts: 13867
Joined: Sat Jan 25, 2014 7:38 pm
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)
Location: Ceredigion
Contact:

Re: 1977 Mk2 3.0 S

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

andyd wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 6:22 am Mattewsons have 3 Capris at their December auction https://mathewsons.co.uk/auctions/14426 ... mber-20202
The black 2.8 looks good. It's interesting to note that internet bidding incurs and extra 2.5% + VAT charge for the highest bidder on top of the regular charges. That could be an extra little sting in the tail if the bidders haven't read the T & Cs.

Andrew.
Image
andyd
Posts: 7624
Joined: Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:43 am
Car(s): 1984 Ford Sierra 1.6GL
Location: Devon

Re: 1977 Mk2 3.0 S

Post by andyd »

Andrew 2.8i wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 9:21 am
andyd wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 6:22 am Mattewsons have 3 Capris at their December auction https://mathewsons.co.uk/auctions/14426 ... mber-20202
The black 2.8 looks good. It's interesting to note that internet bidding incurs and extra 2.5% + VAT charge for the highest bidder on top of the regular charges. That could be an extra little sting in the tail if the bidders haven't read the T & Cs.

Andrew.
:agree:

The solar gold 3.0S has the later doors fitted with the lock in door not the handle.
User avatar
D366Y
Donator
Donator
Posts: 2092
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2012 2:26 pm
Car(s): 1986 Laser 1.6, daily runaround project
1981 GL Auto 2.0, Barn-Find-Resto, now also a runaround project
1980 3.0S, crash damage resto
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Currently full up and no more space but I still want a 2.8...
Location: High Wycombe/Aylesbury

Re: 1977 Mk2 3.0 S

Post by D366Y »

I'm usually not a fan of a Mk2 but that looks stunning!
A wise man once said... "you can never have too many capris - buy another" :beer:
It's me, I'm the wise man.
User avatar
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Posts: 13867
Joined: Sat Jan 25, 2014 7:38 pm
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)
Location: Ceredigion
Contact:

Re: 1977 Mk2 3.0 S

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

D366Y wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 6:02 pm I'm usually not a fan of a Mk2 but that looks stunning!
Making room on the drive for a fourth Capri Danny? :lol:

Andrew.
Image
User avatar
D366Y
Donator
Donator
Posts: 2092
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2012 2:26 pm
Car(s): 1986 Laser 1.6, daily runaround project
1981 GL Auto 2.0, Barn-Find-Resto, now also a runaround project
1980 3.0S, crash damage resto
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Currently full up and no more space but I still want a 2.8...
Location: High Wycombe/Aylesbury

Re: 1977 Mk2 3.0 S

Post by D366Y »

Andrew 2.8i wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 7:17 pm
D366Y wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 6:02 pm I'm usually not a fan of a Mk2 but that looks stunning!
Making room on the drive for a fourth Capri Danny? :lol:

Andrew.
:lol:
I've just moved house and only have space for two cars currently so am struggling to juggle the two capris and the new 'daily' which is the 1.1 Fiesta - the last thing I need is another capri at the moment :roll:
A wise man once said... "you can never have too many capris - buy another" :beer:
It's me, I'm the wise man.
User avatar
Major_Tom
Posts: 8153
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2008 8:21 am
Car(s): 2.0S

Re: 1977 Mk2 3.0 S

Post by Major_Tom »

andyd wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 6:22 am Nice car especially with the recaro seats :cool:

Mattewsons have 3 Capris at their December auction https://mathewsons.co.uk/auctions/14426 ... mber-20202
Lots of great cars there. Never heard of a Pilgrim Hawthorne but think it looks well nice:

Image
I'm the one that leaves all those shoes in the carriageway.
andyd
Posts: 7624
Joined: Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:43 am
Car(s): 1984 Ford Sierra 1.6GL
Location: Devon

Re: 1977 Mk2 3.0 S

Post by andyd »

Major_Tom wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 2:19 pm
andyd wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 6:22 am Nice car especially with the recaro seats :cool:

Mattewsons have 3 Capris at their December auction https://mathewsons.co.uk/auctions/14426 ... mber-20202
Lots of great cars there. Never heard of a Pilgrim Hawthorne but think it looks well nice:
Pilgrim are one of a handful of companies that cater for Cobra kit cars :cool:
Not_Anumber
Donator
Donator
Posts: 870
Joined: Sun Jan 15, 2017 3:54 pm
Car(s): 2.8 Injection 1983 5 speed, weekend car. Audi A7 daily driver Slowly restoring a 1979 MGB. Previously owned 2 Capris.

Re: 1977 Mk2 3.0 S

Post by Not_Anumber »

I used to have a Pilgrim Sumo Cobra replica with a Cologne 2.3 for a while. Frankly it wasnt the best handling Cobra replica on the planet nor was it especially quick but that may have been more down to the original builder rather than the kit. I do remember it used to eat propshaft bearings having a very short prop running at an extreme angle between its Type 9 gearbox and a seriously offset Mk2 Granada diff. The later Sumos used a centrally located Sierra diff obviating that though.

The Hawthorne always struck me as a more interesting kit car, an original sports car design rather than being yet another kit cashing in on the AC Cobra shape. I think it was Morris Marina based but Im pretty sure some ended up with Pinto engines.
andyd
Posts: 7624
Joined: Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:43 am
Car(s): 1984 Ford Sierra 1.6GL
Location: Devon

Re: 1977 Mk2 3.0 S

Post by andyd »

Andrew 2.8i wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 9:21 am
andyd wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 6:22 am Mattewsons have 3 Capris at their December auction https://mathewsons.co.uk/auctions/14426 ... mber-20202
The black 2.8 looks good. It's interesting to note that internet bidding incurs and extra 2.5% + VAT charge for the highest bidder on top of the regular charges. That could be an extra little sting in the tail if the bidders haven't read the T & Cs.

Andrew.
The black 2.8 didn't sell, but the Green Mk1 and Solar Gold Mk3 did, no prices though.
User avatar
Major_Tom
Posts: 8153
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2008 8:21 am
Car(s): 2.0S

Re: 1977 Mk2 3.0 S

Post by Major_Tom »

Not_Anumber wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 5:01 pm
The Hawthorne always struck me as a more interesting kit car, an original sports car design rather than being yet another kit cashing in on the AC Cobra shape. I think it was Morris Marina based but Im pretty sure some ended up with Pinto engines.
That one had a 2.3 pinto in it according to the details:

https://mathewsons.co.uk/auctions/aucti ... m-hawthorn

..very nice little car that. Says it has a ladder chassis, wonder how heavy it is 🤔 was in Daisy's TR6 the other day (not driving).. thats heavy, but with a straight 6, cam and triple webers it is lots of fun.
I'm the one that leaves all those shoes in the carriageway.
Post Reply