Air con

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1980 mk3 capri 2l ohc T9 , Toyota Blade Master 3.5l V6, Paso , 850T,rd400, 900ss

Air con

Post by Mc Tool »

Did any of the later model Capris have air con factory fitted. I have a 3.9 serp motor with the air con compressor fitted and I figured may as well have air con if I can as it will be a pita to remove compressor and fashion some sort of idler pulley .
Sometimes I talk to myself ... and we both have a good laugh
Mr B
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Four 3 litre Capri's and 2 Mark 1 GXL's

Re: Air con

Post by Mr B »

Hi MC,

I bought a 3 litre Capri years ago that had A/C on it, not sure whether it was a factory option but the conversion was excellently done, the air con compressor/pulley was mounted between the water pump and alternator, inside the car the unit/air vents were just below where the ash tray is, really nice job,

Wayne
If an honest man is wrong and after demonstrating that he is wrong he either stops being wrong or stops being honest
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1980 mk3 capri 2l ohc T9 , Toyota Blade Master 3.5l V6, Paso , 850T,rd400, 900ss

Post by Mc Tool »

I was thinkin of using the side swivel outlets for the cool air, also thinkin I could fit a shuttle valve and turn the heater into a heating/cooling unit.......do away with the coolant side of things and fit the evaporator/condenser where the heater matrix is now 🤔🤔
T.M.
Car(s): Capri 2.8 Injection (1984)

Post by T.M. »

Hi,
if I´m right only Tickford Capri had originally A/C. But it wasn´t "factory" Capri too much. :-)

Tom
Bug
Car(s): Some

Post by Bug »

T.M. wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 7:44 am Hi,
if I´m right only Tickford Capri had originally A/C. But it wasn´t "factory" Capri too much. :-)

Tom
Tickford didn't have it as standard. Not sure if anyone ever specced it, but never been in one that did have it.

I seem to remember the older Haynes manuals showed an air-con set up, but it was a completely different heater unit.
I'd assume a more common option on the 'Federal' Capris over the pond with our colonial cousins?

Ask around and see who has that version of the Haynes manual to give you an idea what's needed.

All my 30+ Capris had the basic air-con. It was well ahead of its time as it could be changed between driver and passenger sides and each had their own controls. A simple rotary handle on the door card. Bit like a shower tap, the further you turned it, the cooler it got. ;)
stevemarl
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri 1.6 laser

Post by stevemarl »

Bug wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 8:47 am I seem to remember the older Haynes manuals showed an air-con set up, but it was a completely different heater unit.
I'd assume a more common option on the 'Federal' Capris over the pond with our colonial cousins?

Ask around and see who has that version of the Haynes manual to give you an idea what's needed.
I`ve got the Haynes but apart from some mention in dismantling the dash (apparently the `unit` is fixed to the lower RH dash - so the LH in a RHD car)
and the ccircuit diagram. No further info I`m afraid. Maybe look for Mercury Capri brochure? There was an American on Capripower, he might know.

EDIT:
found a bit more (in `bodywork` section!)
Bug

Post by Bug »

I think you're right. Been years since I saw the manual and it appears I may have got confused with the HD heater assembly.
I'll get back in my box. :?
stevemarl
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri 1.6 laser

Post by stevemarl »

Martin, no, to be fair - I had no recollection of it at all, so you must get at leastb 9.5/10 :D
Bug

Post by Bug »

stevemarl wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 10:58 am Martin, no, to be fair - I had no recollection of it at all, so you must get at leastb 9.5/10 :D
Cheers mate.
Doing your bit for care in the community. :D
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator

Post by Mc Tool »

Bug wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 8:47 am

All my 30+ Capris had the basic air-con. It was well ahead of its time as it could be changed between driver and passenger sides and each had their own controls. A simple rotary handle on the door card. Bit like a shower tap, the further you turned it, the cooler it got. ;)

Yeah , that might work in old blighty but it gets hot here 😆,and winding down the window when its 30⁰c relies totally on wind chill ......like 25⁰ , and the feckin heater doesnt actually turn off , actually I think the only time I get hot air is when its 30⁰🥵 and I dont want it,certainly dont get much when its - 4⁰🥶
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Wow, who knew?
Has anybody actually seen a Capri with factory fitted A/C though?

As an aside, my Hayne's Manual makes no mention of air conditioning equipment.

Andrew.
T.M.
Car(s): Capri 2.8 Injection (1984)

Post by T.M. »

Bug wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 8:47 am Tickford didn't have it as standard. Not sure if anyone ever specced it, but never been in one that did have it.

I seem to remember the older Haynes manuals showed an air-con set up, but it was a completely different heater unit.
Yep, Tickford didn't have A/C on the option list either, like you say:
http://i786.photobucket.com/albums/yy14 ... kford3.jpg

So I was not right, sorry. ;) But somewhere on internet I saw Tickford with A/C. How it looks like it wasn´t factory fitted.

Tom
snizeldelabmx
Car(s): mk3 capri cabaret II

Post by snizeldelabmx »

Andrew 2.8i wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 6:51 pm Wow, who knew?
Has anybody actually seen a Capri with factory fitted A/C though?

As an aside, my Hayne's Manual makes no mention of air conditioning equipment.

Andrew.
Hi Andrew, i know one down here in south Spain, factory fitted AC in a late 2.8 and I have to say it cools great!!!
AGD4692
Car(s): MK3 Capri 2.0 Ghia

Post by AGD4692 »

US market Capri's (in Ghia spec) had factory fitted a/c. European Capri's didn't even offer it as an option, when my father purchased my Ghia in 1979, the first thing he asked for was a/c. Salesman said n/a, father replied "I can wait for a special order", didn't happen

On the US cars, The controls were neatly integrated under the radio, it's a completely different control unit to the European cars. The rear bulkhead on all Capri's actually has the "templates" on the panel itself where the pressure pipes would pass through the bulkhead towards the heater box. Looking at the car "face on" they're on the lower left section , near the speedo cable exit in right hand drive cars

A friend here in Greece has a mk3 3.0S with a/c. Under the bonnet it all looks factory, it's easy to fit, he "opened" the templates mentioned above. Inside however, the unit sits under the ashtray, it's about 40cm wide and about 10cm high.

Have to admit it works fine in the Greek heat, but appearance wise, it's not for me

I have a picture of it somewhere, I'll post it when I find it.
AGD4692

Post by AGD4692 »

Picture of USA Capri Ghia with dealer fitted aircon,
Attachments
IMG_0425.JPG
cabaret
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0i
Skoda Fabia 1.9 SDI

Post by cabaret »

Sorry to revive an old thread but can you show me exactly where these templates are because I've never seen them
I am the Nightrider. I'm a fuel injected suicide machine. I am the chosen one The mighty hand of vengeance sent down to strike the unroadworthy! Im hotter than a rollin dice. Step right up, chum and watch the kid lay down the rubber road, ride to freedom!
AGD4692

Post by AGD4692 »

they're easier to see from the inside of the car, I'll elaborate...

if you fold back the carpet behind the pedals, just above the clutch pedal, the sound deadening pad has the templates ready to be cut.

I'll ask my friend for pictures from both the interior and exterior and post them.