High level third brake light

Use this forum to post threads of ongoing Capri projects and restorations.
Dallas
Car(s): Ford Capri 1.6 Laser. MG TF 135 BRG. MG ZT 190 V6. Dacia Sandero Stepway.

High level third brake light

Post by Dallas »

Has anyone fitted a high level brake light to their Capri, something retro in keeping with the Capri's originality?

I guess with most cars out on the roads today having a high level brake light as standard, drivers are being spoilt allowing them to reply on this third light as it's more visible.

The Capri is a lot lower than all these modern cars we see, and I feel the Capri's brakes lights may not get seen in today's modern traffic until it's too late. I thought a high level third brake light would come in handy to avoid getting rear ended, that's my paranoia kicking in. :lol:

I guess this effects all classic car owners, I felt the same with my MGB.
Noel
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri 2.8i
Range Rover
M140i

Re: High level third brake light

Post by Noel »

This:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ORIGINAL-RET ... Sw9mtdieI7

looks to me like the exact Ring product detailed in page 92 of the famous book on Capri upgrades, "Improve and Modify Capri" by Lindsay Porter and Dave Pollard (Haynes 1992).
IMG_20201002_114423870.jpg
Mk3 Mags
Car(s): 2.0 Laser (semi-retired)

Post by Mk3 Mags »

You’re not paranoid Dallas. Someone reversed into the front of my Capri on a garage forecourt recently. Luckily no harm done but looking at the two cars together and seeing how the modern car towered over mine I doubt she had the faintest idea I was there. So I didn’t get too cross with her.
Dallas
Car(s): Ford Capri 1.6 Laser. MG TF 135 BRG. MG ZT 190 V6. Dacia Sandero Stepway.

Post by Dallas »

Noel wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 10:51 am This:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ORIGINAL-RET ... Sw9mtdieI7

looks to me like the exact Ring product detailed in page 92 of the famous book on Capri upgrades, "Improve and Modify Capri" by Lindsay Porter and Dave Pollard (Haynes 1992).
IMG_20201002_114423870.jpg
I fitted the Ring brake light to my first Capri 30 years ago, it kept coming unstuck from the window during the summer. I ended up using the bar type brake light with it's stand mounted to the tailgate frame using two small screws. I was going to do the same, so I've order a few lights to see what fits best. ;)
Major_Tom
Car(s): 2.0S

Post by Major_Tom »

Mk3 Mags wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 1:57 pm You’re not paranoid Dallas. Someone reversed into the front of my Capri on a garage forecourt recently. Luckily no harm done but looking at the two cars together and seeing how the modern car towered over mine I doubt she had the faintest idea I was there. So I didn’t get too cross with her.
Somebody reversed into Daisy's Capri at a forecourt a few years back. She says "don't your parking sensors work?"

"Yes, I thought you were a bush."

Good thing it wasn't a child.
I'm the one who leaves all those shoes in the carriageway.