Lock down jobs...

Use this forum to post threads of ongoing Capri projects and restorations.
Not_Anumber
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Just sold 1983 2.8 Injection 5 speed. Currently restoring another classic Previously owned 2 Capris. Likely to own another at some point

Re: Lock down jobs...

Post by Not_Anumber »

Thanks for the great tips on the steering wheel.
I put a standard plastic wheel on the other week as its right for the year and my leather wheel was looking so stained and knocked about it was letting the interior down.
Having read your notes I decided to tackle the old leather wheel with nothing to lose. I spent an hour or so rubbing down the leather and applying some thin coats of thin dye and was surprised at how much better it had started to look. Ive picked up some grey linen thread to start repairing a section of stitching and will then finish by rubbing the leather down again with some finer grade paper, then more dye and some coats of sealant.
Caprifan Rob
Car(s): 2.8injection special

Post by Caprifan Rob »

It's a job I need to do, got the dye just got to remove wheel & sort it. Busy repainting rooms in house at moment. I mixed the dye to a mid grey colour on gear knob but steering wheel looked dark grey originally so may mix darker for that.
John I did use sealer on gear knob & it hasn't rubbed off so worth doing, your wheel is looking like brand new, well worth the effort. :applaud:
Taff50ish
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri 2.8 Injection Special, every few days.
VW Tiguan for daily & boaring runs.
Triumph Speed Triple 1050, Now unfortunately gone...
Triumph 1200 Tiger XCA instead... Now also gone.
Tiger XRT instead... No, gone too...
BMW R1250RS Exec... Try this one out (old man syndrome).

Post by Taff50ish »

Hi again,

Well, I can now confirm I did indeed get the wheel back on and since then I've racked up a few hundred miles.... Amazing weather and better roads at the moment!!! Anyhow, yes Rob, plenty of sealer was used and this has lasted, it looks no different now then when I put it back on. Yes, I think now perhaps the grey is a little light, but it does look the bollocks and my gear shift is an 8 ball, so there is nothing for it to clash with, so I'm happy to keep this. However!!! Its not all plain sailing I'm afraid, this has developed a down side and I don't know how long this will last for!!!

I'm sure some of you will notice from time to time, you get a hazy, white'ish grey build up on the inside of the windscreen. Usually from the plastics and other materials inside the car 'gassing' (not sure if this is the correct way to describe this effect?). Well, it transpires this 'dye' or the sealer does 'gas' some what!!! Each day I get in now for a drive, I have to wipe the screen down to get rid of this... A small price to pay, so long as it dries up soon!!! Fingers crossed...

Best of luck with your projects... Take care all, cheers,

John...