Hello! Got myself a laser

Use this forum to post you cars pictures, history and modifications.
Dallas
Car(s): Ford Capri 1.6 Laser. MG TF 135 BRG. MG ZT 190 V6. Dacia Sandero Stepway.

Hello! Got myself a laser

Post by Dallas »

Hi there, I'm new here. :wave:

I thought I would introduce myself, its been along time since I owned a Capri (30 years), and now I'm the proud owner of a 1986 MK3 Capri 1.6 laser which I picked up last week. She isn't perfect, but she has no rust, all the rust has been cut out and welded etc, and she seems to drive without fault.

My previous Capri was a red 1982 1.6LS model, and I'm so pleased that I got myself another red one. :cool: Its like time has stood still these past 30 years and I've been catapulted back in time, both my wife and I had red Capri's back in the 80's and 90's, and now we got ourselves this one, we are so pleased. :guitar:

I'm sure I have many questions, one main one being... What is the colour of my Capri? The ID plate states R5 Rosso red, but its had a respray at some point in its life, and the colour is an orange red, certainly not Rosso red. The car has had replacement wings, these have been sprayed Rosso red, and is a lot darker than the rest of the car. I'm going to have the front wings and bonnet resprayed, and I'm not sure how difficult the spay-shop will find getting a good match.

Here she/he is. :cool:
3 Phone Box Capri 050220.JPG
Lord Flasheart
Car(s): 3.0 Ghia

Re: Hello! Got myself a laser

Post by Lord Flasheart »

Any good spray shop can colour match the colour you need, one tip is if the fuel flap is the colour you want, it can be removed & scanned by a good paint supplier ;)

Welcome back to Capri ownership :)
Dallas
Car(s): Ford Capri 1.6 Laser. MG TF 135 BRG. MG ZT 190 V6. Dacia Sandero Stepway.

Post by Dallas »

Lord Flasheart wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 8:32 pm Any good spray shop can colour match the colour you need, one tip is if the fuel flap is the colour you want, it can be removed & scanned by a good paint supplier ;)

Welcome back to Capri ownership :)
Thanks Lord Flasheart, its nice to be back. :cool:
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser Mercury Grey 1987 hobby .
Mercedes Vito tourer 2.1 Big Bus Daily Driver

Post by Jasonmarie »

Welcome to the forum you can’t beat a Laser with the mighty Pinto Engine :beer:
Ford Capri 2.0 Laser 1987 Mercury Grey ....... :beer:
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Welcome to the forum! :welcome:
It sounds as though you are really enjoying being a Capri owner again, and why shouldn't you? :D
Your Laser looks lovely, but I think we need to see some more photos of it!

Andrew.
Dallas

Post by Dallas »

Thanks fellas :)

I will have to take some more pics, I was going to wait until I get the front wings and bonnet sprayed. At the moment the bonnet is black, and the wings are the wrong shade of red, so she ain't looking her best at the moment. :lol:
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Post by pbar »

Are you sure that the wings are not the correct colour and that the rest of the car has faded? May be worth a paint restorer product (such as G3) to bring the colour back to the older paint if so?

It's just with you mentioning Rosso Red as being the car's native colour then isn't that what they used to respray the wings?

Welcome to the forum by the way, hope you enjoy your new car :)
Caprifan Rob
Car(s): 2.8injection special

Post by Caprifan Rob »

Nice looking Car you've got there & you sound like you're really enjoying owning one again. I too had a long break from Capri ownership and am loving the fact that I own one again. Enjoy making new memories :cheers:
Not_Anumber
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Just sold 1983 2.8 Injection 5 speed. Currently restoring another classic Previously owned 2 Capris. Likely to own another at some point

Post by Not_Anumber »

Well done or returning to Capri ownership.

I think the black bonnet suits yours. Are you going to keep it as a contrast and maybe do the scuttle and wing tops to match ?
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser,
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

Post by Fordoholic Nick »

Welcome to the forum mate and back to Capri ownership after 30yrs :)

Its a cracking Laser fella. I just seen under the bonnet on your other thread about the air filter. You can see this Capri has really been looked after well by the previous owner and its obvious its now in very safe hands with you. Lovely clean Pinto you have there. Love it !!

Re colour matching its bleedin amazing what these paint shops can do now with their scanners etc. Just decide which you want. I really think Rosso Red all over will look stunning if this is what you mean by colour coding from the front wings. Or do you mean colour coding the wings from the main colour ?? :lol:

Good Luck with whatever you decide mate and look forward to seeing more photos of this stunning Laser

All the best now

Nick
I was born a Fordoholic, They'll bury me a Fordoholic...
Dallas

Post by Dallas »

Thank you for the warm welcome fellas, much appreciated. ;)

She seems quite good for her age, lots of work done by the previous owner, saves me the job. :cool:

The car has been stripped and all rust removed and new metal welded, then painted inside and out and her undercarriage. The front wings are replacements, which ideally need the wings sprayed again, also the bonnet. I'm not keen on the black bonnet, so will be getting the front wings and bonnet sprayed to match the rest of the car, which I don't think is rosso red. The front wings seem to be rosso red, but the rest of car looks a lighter shade, has a touch of orange, could may well be Ford Radiant or Sunburst. I will also get the headlight surrounds and grille colour coded and leave the bumper black, I've already got new Capri laser decals for the rear.

She seems to drive ok, cant seem to fault her to be honest, no oil or water leaks, everything is bone dry. She's had many new parts, brakes, shocks and steering etc, still doesn't brake like a new car though, takes some getting use to. The engine looks tidy, previous owner has said the head has been done to accommodate unleaded, but no receipts, no receipts of the cambelt being done either, so I guess I will get that sorted.

The rear wiper tailgate pin switch is missing, so no rear wiper at present, also the reverse light switch needs replacing. She also needs a replacement N/S mirror as its missing its glass, its not the slim one though, its big and chunky like the O/S one, strange I thought. The dash has the usual sun cracks, not sure what to do there, plus the seats need updating, personal choice I guess.

I've already sorted the windscreen washer fault, it just needed a new washer motor, also the headlight relay needed the contacts cleaning, so now the headlights work every time.

The wheels have a locking nut, but no key, previous owner is searching for it, but its been two weeks and hasn't been found yet. :?

Its certainly a nice feeling to have a red Capri again, she feels just like my old one did. I sold my old one when we were expecting our first child, we've had another one since and now they are both all grown up, so its the perfect time to get another Capri... :cool:
Brooksy
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1987 2.0 laser (fair weather car)

Post by Brooksy »

Hi and welcome.

As said by others already, great that you have returned to Capri ownership and I hope you enjoy running your lovely Laser.

:drive:
Nige Image