Project Halo

Use this forum to post threads of ongoing Capri projects and restorations.
Quonut
Car(s): Capri 2.8i

Project Halo

Post by Quonut »

I decided I wanted Halo lights on the front of the Capri. I could have gone down the route of installing BMW E46 lights that already have halos in them, but I didn’t want to go down this route. Obviously to do what I wanted to do, I would need to separate the glass from the reflectors. Could it be done? On searching the web, I found that this was possible by heating them up. Now since my car is a daily driver, I didn't want to carry this out using the current headlights. In my experience, if anything can go wrong, it will! With this in mind, I obtained another set of headlights from Martin at Capri Gear to carry out all the work on them prior to swapping them over when completed.
Phase one was to separate the glass from the backs and so enter the family oven, much to my wife Marie’s disgust and heated to 180 degrees. The headlights were placed inside one at a time for around 15 minutes each. When nicely cooked, the light was removed and using a small kitchen knife, a screwdriver is too big to use, the knife is taken carefully around the edge of the glass lifting it and slowly separating it from the reflector until completely removed. It’s then left on a cooling tray to cool down while I proceeded to carry out the same process on the other lights.

Phase 2
A notch needed to be cut in the reflector so that there was room for the halo wires. On the lights backs there are two notches that corresponds with notches on the glass. I cut the wire notch directly opposite these. You could drill the reflectors and pass the wires through this way, but I decided to not do this.

I used 125mm halo lights although you could get away with 130mm ones. These are readily available on Ebay or elsewhere on the web and the cost is pretty minimal, £12 a pair. Cheap eh? To put the halos in, a bead of Super Glue was placed inside the reflector and then another bead of silicone sealer was run around the edge off the halo to make sure that it wouldn't move. Finally, a bead of silicone sealer was run all around the edge of each light, the glass was reinstalled and weighted down until completely set.

When everything was in place and dry the whole set of Halo lights were wired up and tested to make sure they worked OK.

Phase 3
Next up was the final installation so I installed the headlights one at a time wiring everything up as I went. I have the halo lights wired up to a separate switch on the dash so they can be used as daylight running lights. You could indeed wire them up to the side lamps. In daylight you get the enhanced looks of the Halo, over the pretty useless side lamp..
But if you fit the negative leg of the Halo in the outer set to the yellow wire of the dip beam lamps, and in the inners, to the white wire of the mains ...you switch on the sidelamps, halos are on ..switch to dip beam, the outer Halos go out with the dip beam, inner lamps remain with Halos ..
switch to main beam and the Halos in the inner lamps extinguish as well ..It's up to you!

This mod won't be everyone's cup of tea and the purists will absolutely hate it, but I'm pretty happy with the result and plenty of others have appreciated what has been done.
Paul G
Car(s): MK 3 3.0S needing restoration, 2.0S, 1.6 Laser (nearly ready), Skoda Octavia VRS, VW Polo 1.4CL

Re: Project Halo

Post by Paul G »

I'm not usually keen on too much modification but I have to say I really like what you have done. My only question is has the beam pattern been altered for MOT purposes?
Peter-S
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1985 Capri 2.0
1983 Capri 2.8i

Post by Peter-S »

I can't actually see the pictures, presumably as I am not a member of the other forum they seem to be linked to.
ImageBanner by Peter Smith, on Flickr
D366Y
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1986 Laser 1.6, daily runaround project
1981 GL Auto 2.0, Barn-Find-Resto, now also a runaround project
1980 3.0S, crash damage resto
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Currently full up and no more space but I still want a 2.8...

Post by D366Y »

Peter-S wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 2:11 pm I can't actually see the pictures, presumably as I am not a member of the other forum they seem to be linked to.
Ditto, I'm just getting a little image failed logo
A wise man once said... "you can never have too many capris - buy another" :beer:
It's me, I'm the wise man.
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Post by pbar »

Peter-S wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 2:11 pm I can't actually see the pictures, presumably as I am not a member of the other forum they seem to be linked to.
Exactly Peter, if you are a member of that forum, and log in, then they will appear on this post here.
Quonut

Post by Quonut »

I can't seem to post pictures of them so they appear on here. Any ideas? I used to use photobucket but thats crap now.
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Post by pbar »

I wrote this some time ago, but it still applies -

This assumes you have a pic on your computer (for example on your desktop) already -

1. Go to https://postimages.org/ (you do not have to be a member or login)
2. Click Choose Images
3. Browse to the pic you wish to use and double click it (or click once and click Open)
4. Copy the Direct Link in the list (i.e. click the symbol on the right or highlight it and press Control-c)
5. Open up a new message window on here (as if to type your reply/new message, or whatever, as you normally would)
6. Type your message and when done click the Img button and then press Control-v (this will paste the link you previously copied in step 4)
7. Press Preview to see how it will look or Submit, and you're done.
Quonut

Post by Quonut »

pbar wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:09 am I wrote this some time ago, but it still applies -

This assumes you have a pic on your computer (for example on your desktop) already -

1. Go to https://postimages.org/ (you do not have to be a member or login)
2. Click Choose Images
3. Browse to the pic you wish to use and double click it (or click once and click Open)
4. Copy the Direct Link in the list (i.e. click the symbol on the right or highlight it and press Control-c)
5. Open up a new message window on here (as if to type your reply/new message, or whatever, as you normally would)
6. Type your message and when done click the Img button and then press Control-v (this will paste the link you previously copied in step 4)
7. Press Preview to see how it will look or Submit, and you're done.
OK Thanx. I can't find any edit button anywhere for the original post, so here are the pictures in order