Automatic Gearbox - Oil usage

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
D366Y
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1986 Laser 1.6, daily runaround project
1981 GL Auto 2.0, Barn-Find-Resto, now also a runaround project
1980 3.0S, crash damage resto
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Currently full up and no more space but I still want a 2.8...

Automatic Gearbox - Oil usage

Post by D366Y »

Hi all

Just a quick query as to how much oil should I really be getting through in the auto? I topped it up with some last week as it wouldn't engage a gear, same problem this morning so just seems a little quick to be wanting more again... The gearbox sump has looked a little wet for a while and I know I really need to change the gasket there but just wanted to see if there was any other reason it might be getting through it quickly?

Cheers!
Danny
A wise man once said... "you can never have too many capris - buy another" :beer:
It's me, I'm the wise man.
Lord Flasheart
Car(s): 3.0 Ghia

Re: Automatic Gearbox - Oil usage

Post by Lord Flasheart »

Shouldn't be using any to speak of, have you checked the level with the engine up to temperature & while its still running ?
Paul G
Car(s): MK 3 3.0S needing restoration, 2.0S, 1.6 Laser (nearly ready), Skoda Octavia VRS, VW Polo 1.4CL

Post by Paul G »

Automatics don't usually burn oil so it must be losing it from leaks. I assume it was filled correctly after your recent flex plate work.
340truck
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Rat - GONE
2.8 - GONE
Volvo - GONE
Only 2 Zetec SE Fezzas left now, 1.6 ghia gone. Mk 1 Focus replaces, sticking with 1.6 Zetec SE

Post by 340truck »

Its leaking. Simples.

Look for a puddle or stain where you park it up....my money on the transmission fluid cooling system somewhere, probably radiator end of the pipes.
D366Y
Donator
Donator
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Post by D366Y »

Thanks guys, it never leaves a patch on the floor or anything that big so isn't a big leak, but I think the gearbox sump gasket needs doing but haven't checked the radiator hoses, they've always looked alright but could be an issue... I need to get the radiator re-cored really anyway at some point which is enough of a ball ache so fingers crossed it isn't that haha

Was all up to the right level and things when I got it back, and I checked it within the first couple of days so must have a slight weep somewhere - Never noticed it before as I never had the bloody thing working long enough to notice :lol:

Thanks for confirming though guys

Cheers
Danny
A wise man once said... "you can never have too many capris - buy another" :beer:
Mr B
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Four 3 litre Capri's and 2 Mark 1 GXL's

Post by Mr B »

Year's ago my mum had a Mk 5 Cortina with a 2 litre pinto and auto box, it to was using/losing ATF but there were no visible leaks, it turned out to be the vacuum modulator on the side of the gearbox, a vacuum line run's from the modulator to a small connection on the intake manifold, if the seal in the modulator fails it will allow the engine to suck ATF up the pipe and into the intake manifold, the engine may smoke if it's doing this although the amount of smoke depends on how much ATF is being drawn up the pipe, simple check is pull the small pipe off it's connection at the intake manifold and see if it's wet inside - it should be bone dry.
Wayne
If an honest man is wrong and after demonstrating that he is wrong he either stops being wrong or stops being honest
340truck
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Rat - GONE
2.8 - GONE
Volvo - GONE
Only 2 Zetec SE Fezzas left now, 1.6 ghia gone. Mk 1 Focus replaces, sticking with 1.6 Zetec SE

Post by 340truck »

Mr B wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 4:46 pm Year's ago my mum had a Mk 5 Cortina with a 2 litre pinto and auto box, it to was using/losing ATF but there were no visible leaks, it turned out to be the vacuum modulator on the side of the gearbox, a vacuum line run's from the modulator to a small connection on the intake manifold, if the seal in the modulator fails it will allow the engine to suck ATF up the pipe and into the intake manifold, the engine may smoke if it's doing this although the amount of smoke depends on how much ATF is being drawn up the pipe, simple check is pull the small pipe off it's connection at the intake manifold and see if it's wet inside - it should be bone dry.
Wayne
:agree:

Good call if there's no patch on the floor.
Taff50ish
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri 2.8 Injection Special, every few days.
VW Tiguan for daily & boaring runs.
Triumph Speed Triple 1050, Now unfortunately gone...
Triumph 1200 Tiger XCA instead... Now also gone.
Tiger XRT instead... No, gone too...
BMW R1250RS Exec... Try this one out (old man syndrome).

Post by Taff50ish »

Hi Danny,

On top of this, I note you said you topped the ATF up and the sump is weeping. 95% of Auto gearbox faults are down to old, dirty ATF and filter. I will admit I don't know if the Autobox you have will have a filter, but drop the sump and you will soon know, but I would strongly recommend you do all above and change the fluid for nice fresh clean stuff... Dirty ATF will give poor selection, slopy changes, holding wrong gear etc...

Best of luck and hope to see you at the Ace, cheers,

John...
Mr B
Donator
Donator

Post by Mr B »

340truck wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 5:16 pm
Mr B wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 4:46 pm Year's ago my mum had a Mk 5 Cortina with a 2 litre pinto and auto box, it to was using/losing ATF but there were no visible leaks, it turned out to be the vacuum modulator on the side of the gearbox, a vacuum line run's from the modulator to a small connection on the intake manifold, if the seal in the modulator fails it will allow the engine to suck ATF up the pipe and into the intake manifold, the engine may smoke if it's doing this although the amount of smoke depends on how much ATF is being drawn up the pipe, simple check is pull the small pipe off it's connection at the intake manifold and see if it's wet inside - it should be bone dry.
Wayne

I should have also said that if the modulator is the culprit the smoking from the engine will be worse at idle as an engine normally creates alot of vacuum at idle (unless it has a nasty cam in it) and will suck more ATF up the line.

Wayne
If an honest man is wrong and after demonstrating that he is wrong he either stops being wrong or stops being honest
Lord Flasheart

Post by Lord Flasheart »

Ford C3 autobox Transmission definitely has a filter. Put a new one on mine & new ATF when Biscuit got restored ;)

Have a look here

http://jpat.co.uk/uploads/1/0/3/5/10354 ... 3_a4ld.pdf
D366Y
Donator
Donator
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Post by D366Y »

Mr B wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:25 pm
340truck wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 5:16 pm
Wayne

I should have also said that if the modulator is the culprit the smoking from the engine will be worse at idle as an engine normally creates alot of vacuum at idle (unless it has a nasty cam in it) and will suck more ATF up the line.

Wayne
Taff50ish wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 6:23 pm Hi Danny,

On top of this, I note you said you topped the ATF up and the sump is weeping. 95% of Auto gearbox faults are down to old, dirty ATF and filter. I will admit I don't know if the Autobox you have will have a filter, but drop the sump and you will soon know, but I would strongly recommend you do all above and change the fluid for nice fresh clean stuff... Dirty ATF will give poor selection, slopy changes, holding wrong gear etc...

Best of luck and hope to see you at the Ace, cheers,

John...
Awesome advice so thank you both - will have to get some parts ordered I think... More money from my stainless steel exhaust funds gone :roll:

Cheers
D366Y
Donator
Donator
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Post by D366Y »

Lord Flasheart wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 10:57 pm Ford C3 autobox Transmission definitely has a filter. Put a new one on mine & new ATF when Biscuit got restored ;)

Have a look here

http://jpat.co.uk/uploads/1/0/3/5/10354 ... 3_a4ld.pdf
I've contacted these guys but wouldn't let me buy straight from the website - is this where you get/got parts from previously?

Thanks
Lord Flasheart

Post by Lord Flasheart »

Yes Danny its where I got my bits from, they were very helpful, told them what I had, Ford C3 box in a 1981 3.0 Capri.

They are a bit old school so you have to ring them up, the parts man advised me what I needed & ordered & paid for the parts over the phone ;)

Parts arrived quickly to my work address IIRC, it was 3 years ago :beer:
D366Y
Donator
Donator
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Post by D366Y »

Lord Flasheart wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 2:56 pm Yes Danny its where I got my bits from, they were very helpful, told them what I had, Ford C3 box in a 1981 3.0 Capri.

They are a bit old school so you have to ring them up, the parts man advised me what I needed & ordered & paid for the parts over the phone ;)

Parts arrived quickly to my work address IIRC, it was 3 years ago :beer:
Fair enough - will have to give them a tinkle then I think!
Mr B
Donator
Donator

Post by Mr B »

Come to think of it after I changed the autobox in my Capri last year it developed a leak from the autobox that looked like it was coming from the small sump on the bottom of the box, so I bought a new filter and gasket and changed both, but guess what the leak was still there, turned out to be my fault - there are 2 transmission cooler line's that go from the gearbox to the radiator, these line's attach/bolt to the gearbox above the sump and if they leak/weep the ATF run's down the side of the box and onto where the sump joins the box giving the impression that the sump gasket has failed, when I attached them to the box I never tightened the nuts up enough..
Wayne
D366Y
Donator
Donator
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Post by D366Y »

Mr B wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 10:30 pm Come to think of it after I changed the autobox in my Capri last year it developed a leak from the autobox that looked like it was coming from the small sump on the bottom of the box, so I bought a new filter and gasket and changed both, but guess what the leak was still there, turned out to be my fault - there are 2 transmission cooler line's that go from the gearbox to the radiator, these line's attach/bolt to the gearbox above the sump and if they leak/weep the ATF run's down the side of the box and onto where the sump joins the box giving the impression that the sump gasket has failed, when I attached them to the box I never tightened the nuts up enough..
Wayne
Another good shout - thanks Wayne, will have to check when I get under the car next

Cheers
Danny
D366Y
Donator
Donator
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Post by D366Y »

Finally got round to calling those JP Auto transmission guys - sump gasket was only £1.84! Modulator and new filter ordered as well - might as well change it all if it's coming off any way so not a bad way to spend £50 really - cheers for the link Gary!

Danny
Lord Flasheart

Post by Lord Flasheart »

Glad to help mate, they are proper old school but in my experience they know their stuff, never had a problem with them so fingers crossed your all sorted ;)
D366Y
Donator
Donator
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Post by D366Y »

Lord Flasheart wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 4:07 pm Glad to help mate, they are proper old school but in my experience they know their stuff, never had a problem with them so fingers crossed your all sorted ;)
Don't worry - if anything goes wrong it'll probably be when I try to fix it myself rather than anything they do! :lol:
D366Y
Donator
Donator
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Post by D366Y »

So spent the afternoon rolling around under the car, changed the gearbox filter and sump gasket, all nicely torqued up so fingers crossed that helps solve the issue

One thing I did notice was that the cooling pipes that go to the rad are a little bit wet on the gearbox end - before I go filling the whole box up again with ATF is there anything I can put in/on these connections to stop them seeping? Like Loctite or similar?

Cheers
Danny