Rover V8 3.9 Conversion by Mc Tool

Use this forum to post threads of ongoing Capri projects and restorations.
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser,
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

Rover V8 3.9 Conversion by Mc Tool

Post by Fordoholic Nick »

Hi all,

Hamish is in the process of doing a very exciting Rover V8 conversion in his Capri and he's very kindly emailed me a heads up on what he is doing. Only thing is he is having troubles getting some pics copied over and posted up from postimage so I asked him to email them to me along with the details of the work involved and I will get them up here for him. So here is a copy of the email he sent over to me for all to see. I am sure Hamish will add more to this thread as he does more. It does look rather tasty indeed !!!

The plan is to get a rover 3.9 into my Capri without changing Crapi ( as its known among me, Dianne and friends)at all so I can go back to the original motor /trans set up . 1st pic is the home made clutch lever , idea is to use Crapi existing cable clutch set up , following pix are my way of using original engine mounts on cross member , right hand side gets around the steering shaft , starter ( gunna get one of them gear reduction jobs , not for space issues but coz they sound so coolWinking smile emoticon ) brake booster and the engine mounts. The mounts on the block are a bit of 50mm box (6mm wall thick ) with a bit of 50x10mm bent flat bar welded on alligned to suit the original mounts on the cross member , they are bolted to the block existing 7/16" holes , crush tubes fitted inside the box section
I have actually had the engine and gearbox in place , that's how I did the mounts and exhausts . I don't yet have a pic of the gearbox mount but it uses the original mount on the floor pan which might need a bit more thinking . Only real hassles are sump capacity ( about 3.5l ) but with the addition of a couple of big oil filters remotely mounted should go to a total of about 5l , and just needed to make sure the front pulley and the roll bar wernt fighting for space . The only real cock up so far is going to some trouble to make sure I could get the heads off with the engine in place .......completely forgetting that the end product would have a head stud kit fitted so now with the studs fitted I cant slide the heads off :doh: . Since these pix I have added a EFI manifold and a Megasquirt ecu which does the fuelling and ignition , still undecided weather to go for EDIS Eye-rolling smile emoticon just a matter of time before I cant live without it . Next step is to get a radiator ..... probly go for a custom made job as the radiator man reckons he can "do one " that will fit in the original position and easily cool the thing, More to come.

I was born a Fordoholic, They'll bury me a Fordoholic...
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Re: Rover V8 3.9 Conversion by Mc Tool

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

That's one great looking engine, Hamish. It's good to finally see what you've been up to! :D

Andrew.
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser Mercury Grey 1987 hobby .
Mercedes Vito tourer 2.1 Big Bus Daily Driver

Post by Jasonmarie »

For a second I thought Nick was putting that Lump in B112 :lol:
Ford Capri 2.0 Laser 1987 Mercury Grey ....... :beer:
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser,
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

Post by Fordoholic Nick »

Jasonmarie wrote:For a second I thought Nick was putting that Lump in B112 :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol:
I was born a Fordoholic, They'll bury me a Fordoholic...
andyd
Car(s): 1981 XR3

Post by andyd »

Love a V8 :cheers:

:goodluck:
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser Mercury Grey 1987 hobby .
Mercedes Vito tourer 2.1 Big Bus Daily Driver

Post by Jasonmarie »

andyd wrote:Love a V8 :cheers:

You might be lucky one day and drive a pinto :heart: :whistle:
Ford Capri 2.0 Laser 1987 Mercury Grey ....... :beer:
andyd
Car(s): 1981 XR3

Post by andyd »

Jasonmarie wrote:
andyd wrote:Love a V8 :cheers:

You might be lucky one day and drive a pinto :heart: :whistle:
That's real power :)
BMWcapri
Car(s): BMW V8 powered '81 Calypso

Post by BMWcapri »

Lovely motor!! Can we have a pic of it in the car please?
As long as the tach signal from the dizzy to the ecu is clean it will run well (I found it easier setting up MS on a dizzy than when i used it with Edis8, but that's just my warped world-view) Sam