Advice on selling my Laser

You can RANT and RAVE to your hearts content here instead of clogging up the Q&A Technical Forum!
Report any offensive posts to [email protected]
scherrit
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri Laser 2.0 street sleeper.

Advice on selling my Laser

Post by scherrit »

Hi guys,
I have a heavy heart about this, but I need to sell my Laser, I have too many cars and not enough time to enjoy all of them, the Laser was prepped for track days and I have done only one in 3 years, a new baby in the house means I won't get back to it for years, so it has to go.

I am looking for some advice, tho'..... I do need to get everything sold and also would like to get reasonable dosh for it, without the endless hassle of eBay..... so first question really is do I strip all the sexy stuff off and return it to standard, or sell it modd'ed? I haven't cut metal anywhere to fit the big brakes, suspension mods etc, so the only down side is time to re-fit the standard stuff from my garage.

Some pics here from a few years ago:
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=45411&p=303861&hil ... er#p303861

Mods are:
15" Brookie wheels, Caprisport 300mm discs and Brembos up front, Sierra discs at back, Billies with coilovers at front, poly bushes all round and minor engine mods..... Pinto with big valve head but standard intake manifold and modd'ed Weber, Ashley exhaust manifold.

Cheers,
Scherrit.
Peter-S
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1985 Capri 2.0
1983 Capri 2.8i

Re: Advice on selling my Laser

Post by Peter-S »

Personally I think they are the sort of mods that will probably add value. I think you want a car that looks reasonably standard and a reasonable interior. There's always people that want bog standard but there are plenty of modified cars about so I would test the water as it is.
ImageBanner by Peter Smith, on Flickr
Paul G
Car(s): MK 3 3.0S needing restoration, 2.0S, 1.6 Laser (nearly ready), Skoda Octavia VRS, VW Polo 1.4CL

Post by Paul G »

Get an MOT on it, people will pay much more for one they can drive away and use instantly. Clean the nuts off it, inside, outside, under the bonnet and get the wheels and glass shining and a spray of tyre foam on the tyres. Photograph it somewhere nice, not in a garage or a front lawn with the bins next to it.

Re the modifications, some would pay more for them and some less. I would offer it as is and say that all the stuff to return it to stock is available.
scherrit
Donator
Donator

Post by scherrit »

Brilliant advice so far... thanks and yes it is MOT'd at the moment, been SORNed a bit when I haven't had time to sort it and it lived in a garage mostly so no stress about SORN in the past.
Cheers,
Scherrit.
D366Y
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1986 Laser 1.6, daily runaround project
1981 GL Auto 2.0, Barn-Find-Resto, now also a runaround project
1980 3.0S, crash damage resto
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Currently full up and no more space but I still want a 2.8...

Post by D366Y »

Another point worth considering, if you've still got all the original stuff to return the car to standard, I'd guess that some of that stuff will be slightly easier to offload and sell separately rather than something that's already been fitted?

Some people will only use the original ford parts so if you have the original front legs and discs etc. then I'd imagine that they would be easier to sell than a used set of Coillies? Only say that as I personally probably wouldn't buy something like that second hand... worth reconsidering

Danny
A wise man once said... "you can never have too many capris - buy another" :beer:
It's me, I'm the wise man.
timfromull
Car(s): 1985 Capri Laser (project) Mitsubishi Shogun Warrior and Vauxhall Vivaro van

Post by timfromull »

By the sound of It, the mods are an improvement and don't detract from the Laser, bar the 15 inchers which I'm guessing are required in order to fit the Brembo's.
There is no size fits all so personally I like the mods and it would attract me as a potential purchaser but have Fred Smith next door running to the hills.
One man's meat is another man's poison.......
Had you cut it about and stuck 'Lacks Power' lumps of plastic all over it :doh: then yes, I'd say pull it all off and return to stock.........your mods however, in my humble sound bob on..
As the chaps have already said, get her looking top notch, take some sexy pics...........and hey presto..... :cheers:
Good luck with the sale and the bundle of joy, mate.
scherrit
Donator
Donator

Post by scherrit »

OK, so nothing much has changed, have used the Capri a bit this summer but still not going to have time to do track days..... so it has to go, I have been around the Ebay merry-go-round a few times and that is just so frustrating in terms of time wasted....

Here are a couple of pics:

Grrr, pics not working, will have to have a re-think.

The 2 1/4 springs on the Bilstein (injection) struts are not as bad as they look, I sprayed the threads with grease and that is mostly dirt (should have given the underside bit of a spray before the pics!)

Anyhoo, would far prefer to sell to an enthusiast. Looking for £11k minimally negotiable, and will hang on for another few years if not the right time to sell.
I am in West Berkshire, contactable here via the PM's but I will only check in every few days.
Scherrit.
Last edited by scherrit on Wed Oct 26, 2022 9:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
D366Y
Donator
Donator
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Post by D366Y »

£11?
Even without pics of the car I'll buy that :lol:
Might even get Dave interested at that price!
A wise man once said... "you can never have too many capris - buy another" :beer:
Major_Tom
Car(s): 2.0S

Post by Major_Tom »

I'll give you 12 quid for it!
I'm the one who leaves all those shoes in the carriageway.
D366Y
Donator
Donator
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Post by D366Y »

Well if Tom wants to start a bidding war.... I'll give you £12 and a pint of your choice
B@fink
Car(s): Fiat Tipo diseasel (daily driver)
Audi A8 luxobarge (high days, holidays and general waft)
Ford Capri 1.6 Laser (former daily driver, stored 15 years, rebuilt in lockdown, done, but in dire need of paint)

Post by B@fink »

£15, a pint AND a pack of smiths scampi fries…
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Post by pbar »

This thread started a whopping four and a half years ago, I doubt that anyone is buying it!
scherrit
Donator
Donator

Post by scherrit »

So frustrating, I'm obviously not computer literate so all the pics I uploaded to drop box didn't work... looks like the beer, scampi offer is currently leading..... Auction closes in 2026. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Post by pbar »

It's a while since I wrote this but I'm pretty sure it still applies -

This assumes you have a pic on your computer (for example on your desktop) already -

1. Go to https://postimages.org/ (you do not have to be a member or login)

2. Click Choose Images

3. Browse to the pic you wish to use and double click it (or click once and click Open)

4. Copy the Direct Link in the list (i.e. click the symbol on the right or highlight it and press Control-c)

5. Open up a new message window on here (as if to type your reply/new message, or whatever, as you normally would)

6. Type your message and when done click the Img button and then press Control-v (this will paste the link you previously copied in step 4)

7. Press Preview to see how it will look or Submit, and you're done.

Most image hosting sites will work in a similar way.
scherrit
Donator
Donator

Post by scherrit »

Oil pressure on fast idle, before I sorted the tuning.
scherrit
Donator
Donator

Post by scherrit »

scherrit
Donator
Donator

Post by scherrit »

2 1/4 spring actually is rusty.... but they are not madly expensive, I was going to replace with lower poundage slightly longer springs anyway. Random pic of brake master shows the brake bias adjuster (off a Sierra) which lets you adjust back/front brake balance.