Project "Burke"

Use this forum to post threads of ongoing Capri projects and restorations.
Shederic
Car(s): Rescued a 2.8i shell for my first project

Project "Burke"

Post by Shederic »

HI Guys,
Going to try and start a thread, although unlikely to start any work before Feb - run out of money and its too cold!

So, if pictures shared via Flickr works, you'll see this is my starting point. in my garage is a shell of a 2.8 on a B reg. Got the v5 now, got front and rear lamps and got the Vin plate. Not a lot else. The Reg ends "krx" so I thought burke / burkes was appropriate for the pair of us;

https://www.flickr.com/photos/138240788 ... res/6u94V8

Id love to afford standard stuff to rebuild her but, reality is I cant. I respect everyone who has restored or restomodded their vehicles and I appreciate everyone's opinion constructive or otherwise. My thoughts are; as I bought/rescued this from a breakers, what ever I do to it will be better than the alternative it faced.

So, with budget in mind, and a modest performance planned, I'm looking at going the Rx8 running gear route. I'm buying someone elses failed project basically and seeing if it can be adapted to my needs. He was going to restore a scimitar using Rx8 running gear. I plan to see if I can use this chassis and mount some / all to the Capri's floor - The scimitars wheel base is 72mm shorter so some jiggling is required. This is all planning stage at the moment but until I have everything at home its going to be hard to have a solid plan. I was thinking I would cut away the scimitar chassis outriggers, so I'm left with the front and rear rx8 subframes and the "x" shape of the chassis. The "x" frame depth is approx. 6 inches and the Capri chassis rails are 3 inches, so I would cut them down and stitch weld to the floor - giving the capri chassis rails that run the length of the car.

I was thinking of using a standard RX8 prop and Box to minimise the fabrication needed. I found out his diff is from a 5 speed RX8 which has a diff ratio of 4.3, so this will have a bearing on my wheel size and engine choice. (RX8 5 speed with 18 inch wheels @3000rpm = 69mph).

https://www.flickr.com/photos/138240788 ... res/72N734

I have many problems ahead, including no thoughts on how to control the RX8 Power steering rack, no idea how I'm going to get an accurate speedo etc. etc. etc.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Re: Project "Burke"

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Hi,
What an interesting project!
No doubt there will be loads of issues to overcome with the build, but it will definitely be worth it in the end.
This will be a build to keep an eye on, it will be great to see photos of how you get on with it....roll on February!

All the best,
Andrew.
Shederic

Post by Shederic »

Hi Guys,
After seeing the guys project that I was going to buy it became a non starter.
Concerns I had were that he had adapted the sub-frames and welded to his chassis. I think id prefer to keep them modular, as they are on the Rx8 so that upgrading bushes, diff etc in future is as easy as it is on the RX8 it was designed for.

Time to concentrate on the chassis/shell I have for the moment and leave the other stuff whilst I have a think - longer I think longer i'll have saved up for original equipment too lol.

One thing that has crossed my mind, although I'm going to research before I act, is what about an MX5 as a donor? if you've ever seen the image where they undo the bolts and lift the body off and the two sub-frames remain in situ (google MEV exocet), with engine etc still in place, you'll know what I mean. Just a thought
Not_Anumber
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Just sold 1983 2.8 Injection 5 speed. Currently restoring another classic Previously owned 2 Capris. Likely to own another at some point

Post by Not_Anumber »

Someone was saying the other day on here or the other Capri forum that theyd fitted an MX5 engine and gearbox into a Capri and it wasnt too hard a job. Its lighter weight than the Pinto engine for slightly better power output, it's fuel injection and engine management are also well known to be easily transplanted.

If you are starting from scratch with a useable Capri bodyshell but no running gear and wanted to build a reliable car you could use every day then its a very practical way to achieve this.

You did mention it was a V6 bodyshell though. Had you thought about an engine and gearbox from a late 2.9 Scorpio. The most popular being the 24 valve Cossie version but the 12 valve is almost as good and of course being just a later generation of the Cologne engine will fit straight away. Loads of people on the forums have made these conversions. Also the 4 litre engine in the petrol Ford Ranger pickup shouldn't be overlooked, dont let the larger capacity put you off as it's just another version of the Cologne V6 and will fit.
C4priz
Car(s): Ford Capri

Post by C4priz »

Hi! Are there any new updates on this project?
Shederic

Post by Shederic »

Bought the axle, roll over jig etc but not worth getting settled into at the moment. Plans of a move preventing any progress at the moment.
Shederic

Post by Shederic »

well project is in hibernation but not dead.
We've moved and the garage is just big enough to get the shell on the jig, once its cleared of everything else!
I now own rx8 axle, suspension, hubs and brakes. Over the weekend im collecting a (presumed scrap) 2.5 v6 duratec that had been mated to a manual S-type box (also getting), that have come out of a ford transit project. need to stop buying and start building
Shederic

Post by Shederic »

project now for sale - if it doesnt sell then i will restart when i have the time/money/enthusiasm
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/114855338054
Not_Anumber
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Just sold 1983 2.8 Injection 5 speed. Currently restoring another classic Previously owned 2 Capris. Likely to own another at some point

Post by Not_Anumber »

withdrawn from Ebay now. Change of mind ?