Capri 2.8 1983

Use this forum to post you cars pictures, history and modifications.
Black2ate
Car(s): 2.8 Injection (Resto project)

Capri 2.8 1983

Post by Black2ate »

Hi All
My first time on the forum, well, any forum.. thought I'd post some info. on my first Capri. - !983 in black, 3 owners and 51K
miles. So, 33 years old, sadly service history was not available, All MOT certs. came with the car, it was dry stored and unused for about
21 years and returned to the road about 2 years ago and has only covered about 3k miles since. I wanted a solid example as I didn't want a full resto job. Mechanically it needs a sort out, gearbox was noisy, so have rebuilt that with all new bearings, engine top end stripped now to have hardened exhaust valve seats for unleaded. As with most jobs, I know it will escalate, new suspension bushes and really whatever is needed etc. I'll keep you posted on that :)
I 'm amazed at all the original parts that are still on the car, nearly all the engine hoses are original showing '83 date and as far as I can tell, nothing has been apart, amazing... It even has the original exhaust kidney boxes (Is that unusual?). All interior trim is untouched and
original, usual wear to drivers seat bolster though, the original grease on the sun roof mechanism is still there as well!! the only thing that appears to have been done are the original pepperpots have been tidied up. so all in all very pleased, It's had new struts, calipers and discs, I guess to get it back on the road 2 years ago , I did plan to just do a full under bonnet resto, repaint etc, but with all stripped out it has polished up so thinking it best to leave original. I will post some pix soon.
Thanks for reading.....
Caprifan Rob
Car(s): 2.8injection special

Re: Capri 2.8 1983

Post by Caprifan Rob »

Hi and :welcome: to the forum. Sounds like you've bought a nice survivor there. This was the first forum I've joined & has been the most fun. Looking forward to seeing pictures of your 2.8. All the best.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Hi,
:welcome:
I agree with what Rob says, it sounds as though you've got a gem of a Capri there. :applaud:
Looking forward to seeing some photos of this car for sure! If the engine room is as clean as you say, I would definitely keep it original.

All the best,
Andrew.
andyd
Car(s): 1981 XR3

Post by andyd »

:welcome:
Keep it original as long as you can :)

:goodluck:

Andy