cologne V6 2.8 on a landrover series 3

Use this forum to post threads of ongoing Capri projects and restorations.
Dukite
Car(s): land rover series 3 1974
toyota tundra 1997 single cabin
ducatti monster 900 1998
KTM 450 SXF 2014

cologne V6 2.8 on a landrover series 3

Post by Dukite »

Hello every one

I'm not sure I'm posting in the right place in the forum , but I'm in desperate need of some help with my ford cologne engine .

i have recently bought from an auction a landrover series 3 imported from the states with what seems to be a ford v6 engine that is missing lots of parts , from the number on the engine i think its a ford cologne engine taken from a ford ranger or broncho 1983 ( again not sure if someone has an idea on how to confirm that )

my questions is ,

-can anybody identify the list of items missing on this engine so i can order it all together
- is there an online shop or website that is recommended and would hold those parts
- can we confirm its carb not Efi engine
- so far what i have been told what was missing is upper intake manifold +gasket , carburetor , distributor complete , wirings ,psv valve ? , connection between intake manifold and brake booster or something around those lines ( I'm just repeating what i was told )

-is it possible to convert it to EFI if its a carb and is it worth the hassle ?

- should i just discard the engine and look for landrover replacement instead

i really appreciate your time reading my post and directing in the right way .

hope to read your replies

sheff
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 2.8 Injection (Driving Project)

Re: cologne V6 2.8 on a landrover series 3

Post by sheff »

Does this help you http://www.fordopedia.org/parts-catalog/20-23-28-v6?

Personally I would say stick with a carb, fuel injection is just going to give you a load of problems. As for spares I'm not sure where you would start, but I think the Ford Granada had a carb version of the 2.8, so you might find something on ebay. They recently had a large Granada banger racing meet, so you might get lucky finding spares on the internet.

All the best
Neil
Peter-S
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1985 Capri 2.0
1983 Capri 2.8i

Post by Peter-S »

A Capri Cologne running a carb would need a manifold something like this

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ford-Capri-mk ... SwB4NWwYC5

not sure what you have there at present but if you remove it you may have more idea whether this listing looks right.

You would also need a carb of course.

You could go back to fuel injection but you would need an awful lot more parts and some of them are expensive to get in good order.

Is the displacement of your engine definitely 2.8?
ImageBanner by Peter Smith, on Flickr
Stroker
Car(s): Ford Sierra 4x4 Estate

Post by Stroker »

You have the American 2.8 with the 6 port Arizona heads. The Euro injection or carb inlet manifolds will NOT fit. These heads have a different inlet spacing to the Euro heads.
The inlet manifold on your engine looks like the bottom half of the Offenhauser manifold.

https://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/ ... /make/ford

Difference between Euro (top) and American (bottom)