New Top Gear

You can RANT and RAVE to your hearts content here instead of clogging up the Q&A Technical Forum!
Report any offensive posts to [email protected]
Notepad12
Car(s): 2.8i

New Top Gear

Post by Notepad12 »

8pm bbc2 tonight,

Anyone else on here watching?
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Re: New Top Gear

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Hi,
I'll watch it. Hopefully Evans will have breathed new life into the programme.

Andrew.
Will01
Car(s): Ford Capri 1.6GL 1981 (Track Project) & 2.0 GL 1979(Gone to Capri Heaven)
Alfa 156 GTA (Daily Driver)
Alfa 2.4JTD Sportwagon
Mini Cooper S (Wife's)
Old Jags & Riley's for fun

Post by Will01 »

Agreed. Finally someone with sense. I cant stand the crowd writing it off before they even started and even before they ahve got into it. THey will need time to perfect, but what i saw 2nite was good fun to watch. :)
Plans have changed to just make a good fun Track Car :)
andyd
Car(s): 1981 XR3

Post by andyd »

Didn't watch it, but going by some reviews I have read this morning, alot of people didn't rate it.......

Then again I stopped watching the old TG for the last few series.
SmokeEm
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 14.0 1/4 mile with a 'few' bits missing

Post by SmokeEm »

I enjoyed it.
Notepad12
Car(s): 2.8i

Post by Notepad12 »

Seems like marmite!
stevemarl
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri 1.6 laser

Post by stevemarl »

They just seemed to be copying the old format, which had had it`s day anyway, but now seems even more tired. Hoped they might have had a different approach.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

stevemarl wrote:They just seemed to be copying the old format, which had had it`s day anyway, but now seems even more tired. Hoped they might have had a different approach.
:agree:

Funnily enough, I've just written more or less that on another forum.
I gave it a shot, sadly, it wasn't the clean-sheet revised programme I was hoping for.
To be fair to the presenters, I think that they weren't able to inject their own personalities into the old format.

Andrew.
andyd

Post by andyd »

Andrew 2.8i wrote:

I gave it a shot, sadly, it wasn't the clean-sheet revised programme I was hoping for.

Andrew.
Hi Andrew,
From what I've read, Evans was the main prat this time??
I watched an interview on BBC news last week and he was fine and watchable, but I think he thinks he has to live up to Clarkson,
who I got to dislike at times too.

Call me old fashioned :whistle: but the 70's to 90's TG was great, as they actually 'Road Tested Cars' you could afford....Not a lads stag weekend version, that race cars you would probably never own in 2 lifetimes.

Should have been a total revamp IMO, so wont be watching either. Tin Hat time.... :lol:

I prefer Fifth Gear TBH, but can take it or leave it.
Caprigear
Donator
Donator

Post by Caprigear »

Absolute dross, after the cenotaph stunt shouldn't be even given airtime. It should have been put out of its misery after Clarkson and co were given the boot.
Guy Martin was offered it but he wouldn't touch it with a barge pole - I wonder why?
andyd

Post by andyd »

Caprigear wrote:Absolute dross, after the cenotaph stunt shouldn't be even given airtime. It should have been put out of its misery after Clarkson and co were given the boot.
Guy Martin was offered it but he wouldn't touch it with a barge pole - I wonder why?
Guy Martin is great, I really like his programmes :D James May is OK on his own too.....
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

andyd wrote:
Caprigear wrote:Guy Martin is great, I really like his programmes :D
:agree:
Guy Martin is so full of charisma and enthusiasm, it's impossible not to enjoy his programmes.

Andrew.
ESSEXV6ESSEX
Car(s): Car

Post by ESSEXV6ESSEX »

Didn't watch it and didn't really like the old one. Agree that May is better on his own and Martin is more interesting. Bring back the old Top Gear. Much better back then. Idiots appealing to their showbiz mates, cars that people can't afford and if they can who cares if a Lamborghini is better then a Ferrari, most people couldn't give a toss. On top of that they ruin other cars by doing ridiculous challenges. I could not understand the ratings of the last rabble. I don't think a 90's throw back and a cheese eater are going to revolutionise the programme.
Taff50ish
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri 2.8 Injection Special, every few days.
VW Tiguan for daily & boaring runs.
Triumph Speed Triple 1050, Now unfortunately gone...
Triumph 1200 Tiger XCA instead... Now also gone.
Tiger XRT instead... No, gone too...
BMW R1250RS Exec... Try this one out (old man syndrome).

Post by Taff50ish »

I too had the misfortune to watch this, thinking it would be a clean start.

Oh sadly how wrong was I!!!! Not only have they stuck with the same tired format, but Evans I swear, was actually trying to do his 'commentaries' in the style of Clarkson.... So, we move onto the American. Who wrote his lines??? Talk about a Woodern Delivery.... I swear Muffin the Friggin Mule could have made it sound more interesting!!! Then to cap it off, they bring Sabine Schmitz crashing down to their own level, trying to make out she made a 'Top Gun' pilot Sick. (And that's without mentioning the Dumbass Crap they where doing in the first place....)

I will admit to laughing my head off at this, but I'm sure not to the bits I was meant to... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Moving onto Good Ol Guy Martin. What a Bullit he dodged there. My only problem with Guy, is he's doing too much TV and not enough TT....... WHAT AN AMAZING RIDER THIS CHAP IS!!! I want to see him back on the Island kicking serious Butt!!!

Well, as ever, this is just MY opinion of the show and all this being said, I will probably tune in again in a few Weeks to see if there has been any improvement, fingers crossed, but I'm certainly not holding my breath... Till next time, all the very best, cheers,

John....
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Taff50ish wrote:Well, as ever, this is just MY opinion of the show
Don't hold back John........... :lol:
stevemarl
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri 1.6 laser

Post by stevemarl »

Taff50ish wrote: Evans I swear, was actually trying to do his 'commentaries' in the style of Clarkson....
It seemed to me as though they had the same scriptwriter...
andyd wrote:Call me old fashioned :whistle: but the 70's to 90's TG was great, as they actually 'Road Tested Cars' you could afford....Not a lads stag weekend version, that race cars you would probably never own in 2 lifetimes.
Completely agree! It`s just like a bunch of kids playing with their, obscenely expensive, toys.
Peter-S
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1985 Capri 2.0
1983 Capri 2.8i

Post by Peter-S »

Times have changed from the original TG days. Look at any car prog these days and some one is throwing ridiculous amounts of money at a project in ways most of us would only ever dream of. Imagine TG going back to reviewing everyday Euro boxes as an alternative. I can't help feeling it would pale in to insignificance so it's become an entertainment show instead. So we will probably never get any where near the cars they thrash around in but on an ongoing basis I find it more enjoyable than a review of the latest VW Polo or some such that I don't want anyway. Just MY opinion, not everyone shares it obviously.

I was out last night so missed the new version but as I'm no Mr Evans fan that's a trend that's likely to continue.
ImageBanner by Peter Smith, on Flickr
Andyonthejob
Car(s): `84 A.reg Black 2.0S Capri & '88 Capri 280TT

Post by Andyonthejob »

Taff50ish wrote:
Moving onto Good Ol Guy Martin. What a Bullit he dodged there. My only problem with Guy, is he's doing too much TV and not enough TT....... WHAT AN AMAZING RIDER THIS CHAP IS!!! I want to see him back on the Island kicking serious Butt!!!

John....
I too like Guy Martin......apart from the crazy stuff he does he strikes me as the next Fred Dibnah. He has that endearing way about him. I personally don`t want to see him doing more TT riding as the law of averages dictates.......and I`d like to be watching his shows for many years to come.

As for Top Gear...I would like to see real world stuff being featured. They should be using bits of kit the average man can actually see himself affording.
-JC-
Car(s): 1986 Ford Capri 2.0 Laser
2004 Mazda RX8

Post by -JC- »

Boring 1970s Top Gear belongs in the Boring 1970s. If you want a review of a boring eurobox there's literally a million places (I counted) you can get that online. Besides, the show is called "*Top* Gear", not "Boring Commuter Cars And Family Hatchbacks". I watched Boring 1980s Top Gear as a child, and don't think it had any bearing on my interest in cars these days, other than maybe suffocating it for a few years.

They did have some difficult choices to make with this revamp though, wanting to strike a balance between keeping existing fans and attracting new ones (i.e. ones that found Clarkson insufferable). I didn't think it managed either very well. Hopefully next week they will give more screen time to Sabine Schmidt and Chris Harris.
"Hard work often pays off after time, but laziness always pays off now."
Taff50ish
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri 2.8 Injection Special, every few days.
VW Tiguan for daily & boaring runs.
Triumph Speed Triple 1050, Now unfortunately gone...
Triumph 1200 Tiger XCA instead... Now also gone.
Tiger XRT instead... No, gone too...
BMW R1250RS Exec... Try this one out (old man syndrome).

Post by Taff50ish »

Hi All,

Well, back to Guy then...
Andyonthejob wrote:I personally don`t want to see him doing more TT riding as the law of averages dictates.......and I`d like to be watching his shows for many years to come.
Fair point and I must take this on Board... I really do enjoy watching him on a Bike and the Road Racers are a complete Bread Apart from the Circuit racers, but when you see Guy at the Ulster GP last Year,

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/northern-ireland/33818078

I wonder, how much more can the guy (No Pun intended there.) take!!! A really bad crash back in 2010 at the TT when his Bike just Exploded.... Jeepers!!! Maybe he should stick to TV then and let the new youngsters do the Road Racing!!!???

Oh well, it was just MY opinion.... (Quite Right Andrew!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: I did go on a bit..) and it looks like I've already changed my mind on this one.... Well, all for now, cheers all and all the very best,

John...