Modified or Standard?

You can RANT and RAVE to your hearts content here instead of clogging up the Q&A Technical Forum!
Report any offensive posts to [email protected]

Modified or Standard?

Modified
39%
Standard
61%

Total votes: 31

-JC-
Car(s): 1986 Ford Capri 2.0 Laser
2004 Mazda RX8

Modified or Standard?

Post by -JC- »

Just curious really about the proportion of current members that favour modified over standard capris or vice versa.
"Hard work often pays off after time, but laziness always pays off now."
Stish704
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri 2.8 injection special. Weekends only!
Sierra Sapphire- rolling restoration.
Vauxhall Movano- the company vehicle.
Vauxhall Mokka. The wife’s!

Re: Modified or Standard?

Post by Stish704 »

I actually prefer them kept as standard. Mine I've tried to keep it as original as possible. Just personal preference.
Sometimes though with subtle mods they can look nice, but sometimes you look at one and just say no. Some of these body kits around are just awful.
Bertie
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1984 Capri 2.8 injection special
2016 Ford Tourneo Titanium
2015 Subaru Forrester
1958 Porsche 108L Tractor

Post by Bertie »

Standard (ish)....don't mind exhausts and the odd upgrades. I admit to admiring some of the cars that are modded well, lots of work and effort... Each to their own.. :D
Peter-S
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1985 Capri 2.0
1983 Capri 2.8i

Post by Peter-S »

I'm another 'standard-ish'
My 2.0 has had a few changes but nothing extravagant, the 2.8 I've tried to keep more or less as should be but I hope to uprate the brakes and it will probably get a non-standard exhaust at some point since I bought one cheap but mainly standard is just easier to look after.
ImageBanner by Peter Smith, on Flickr
Caprigear
Donator
Donator

Post by Caprigear »

i prefer standard with some tweaks. I usually fit Superflex bushes to all of the cars I restore unless I'm instructed not to ( it hasn't happened yet)
Change the rubber flexi hoses for braided ones, totally renew the braking and suspension components. I try to get the cars to look as a Capri should but to drive better than when they were new.
I'm currently doing a MK2 2.0 GL and that looks as it should have when new but I have fitted a five speed box from a Laser but I have kept the original 4 speed gearknob so everything looks standard.
I have done modified cars and are doing a bodykitted 2.8i at the moment, every car is for customers with different ideas on what they want but my favourites are the standard looking cars.
Pas28i
Car(s): 06 Polo 1.4s (new daily driver), mk2 Golf Gti (was my daily), and 2.8injection Special (awaiting recommissioning)

Post by Pas28i »

For me I prefer standard, but I remember growing up in the 80s how some were modified.
I used to draw out the ideas I had for my dads mk2 at the time - and they were horrendous!

If I could, I would tastefully modify an imported Capri, like a few I've seen on eBay from South Africa, as a blank canvas without the worry about resale values etc.
chris_w
Car(s): Lancia Delta

Post by chris_w »

What about modified cars that look standard?

ESSEXV6ESSEX
Car(s): Car

Post by ESSEXV6ESSEX »

I'm a standard guy no matter what it is really, that's where the nostalgia is for me. I don't mind modded if they are racing replicas but I also appreciate it's each to their own and if it's another on the road then that's brilliant. I think anyone that takes the time and trouble to keep classics on the road gets my vote, it's not easy nor is it cheap. I think though having said all that and for me it's period history but if I could go back and own any Capri it would have to be one of the original CC prepped racing Capris.
Paul G
Car(s): MK 3 3.0S needing restoration, 2.0S, 1.6 Laser (nearly ready), Skoda Octavia VRS, VW Polo 1.4CL

Post by Paul G »

Standard as possible for me.

I think Capris with the Casey Jones cowcatcher front spoilers are hideous.

Whatever, if someone ownes a classic car, they own it and it is up to them what they do with it but if I was advising them I would say don't do anything that isn't reversible and if you're fitting a different engine or gearbox or bumpers or grille (I hate MK3's with MK2 grilles!)then keep the old one so that a future owner has the choice to put the car back as it was.
Caprigear
Donator
Donator

Post by Caprigear »

chris_w wrote:What about modified cars that look standard?

I know Christoph. I do like that one post a pic of the bonnet open!!
chris_w
Car(s): Lancia Delta

Post by chris_w »

Caprigear wrote:I know Christoph. I do like that one post a pic of the bonnet open!!
Just because you asked so nicely...

Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Hi,
I like a car to look standard as much as possible, and I'm not against modernisations or modifications that don't detract from the original appearance of the car. LED dashboard illumination, for example.

Andrew.
Last edited by Andrew 2.8i on Sat May 21, 2016 8:38 am, edited 2 times in total.
Andyonthejob
Car(s): `84 A.reg Black 2.0S Capri & '88 Capri 280TT

Post by Andyonthejob »

Paul G wrote:Standard as possible for me.

I think Capris with the Casey Jones cowcatcher front spoilers are hideous.
Couldn't agree more Paul....and you do realise you're showing your age quoting Casey Jones don't ya :)

Standardish looking for me with subtle wheel and interior changes but now the values have gone so high for original looking Capri's modding their looks could prove an expensive choice if you decide to sell.
Lez1962
Car(s): Currently driving vw touareg but Drive a Capri 3.0 ghia

Post by Lez1962 »

Hi,
As many of you know I own MOO732V a slightly but I think tastefully modified 3.0ghia. So I come down on the slightly modified side but as already said its up to the owner.
Les.
MS Injection
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1985 Ford Capri 2.8 Injection Special

Post by MS Injection »

I prefer standard on balance, but as has been said it must be down to the owner. I only say it is my preference on balance because I am always glad to see a car that makes me challenge that preference - like Les's for example.

Mike
Skoze

Post by Skoze »

"Tastefully modified", for me.

Stiffer, lower, nice set of wheels, stopping better and going quicker but done with appropriate period parts. Compomotives, tuned 3.1, Janspeed exhausts, Billies (admittedly now coilovers), Leda rear springs going on the back next...

I've kept every original 3.0 part i've taken off, all safely stored in the garage and could go back to standard in a weekend.

-JC-
Car(s): 1986 Ford Capri 2.0 Laser
2004 Mazda RX8

Post by -JC- »

Interesting results! I reckon the results would have been quite different 10 years ago - wonder what happened to all the modified crowd?
"Hard work often pays off after time, but laziness always pays off now."
Toxcity
Car(s): 2015 Abarth 595 Competizione, 2004 Smart Roadster, 1983 Ford Capri LS 1600

Post by Toxcity »

-JC- wrote:Interesting results! I reckon the results would have been quite different 10 years ago - wonder what happened to all the modified crowd?
Moved to Capri Power? :lowrider:
Craigorypeck
Car(s): Mk III Capri- 2.0 YB cossie lump with eaton blower on bike carbs. Problem... its 4000 miles away.
MK1 resto- 2.3 Turbo or Charger, both probably
Chevy Cobalt

Post by Craigorypeck »

Subtle things like rims and lowered are about as far I'd go.
Body kits and silly spoilers just look tacky.
:spam:
stevemarl
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri 1.6 laser

Post by stevemarl »

Toxcity wrote:Moved to Capri Power? :lowrider:
I was gonna put that :lol: