Engine removal - All bases covered?

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
[email protected]
Car(s): 2.0 laser mk3

Re: Engine removal - All bases covered?

Post by [email protected] »

Hi, struggled for 3 hours today. I couldn't get Pinto 2.0 litre block away from laser 5 speed gearbox. It's moved half an inch, and even with one pulling and 2 with crowbars, still no good. Trolley jack under gearbox, readjusted height and rope angle. All to no avail. Only spline attached. Any ideas? I did this job easily 30 years ago but no good this time.
Mr B
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Four 3 litre Capri's and 2 Mark 1 GXL's

Post by Mr B »

[email protected] wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 6:11 pm Hi, struggled for 3 hours today. I couldn't get Pinto 2.0 litre block away from laser 5 speed gearbox. It's moved half an inch, and even with one pulling and 2 with crowbars, still no good. Trolley jack under gearbox, readjusted height and rope angle. All to no avail. Only spline attached. Any ideas? I did this job easily 30 years ago but no good this time.
Hi mate,

The only time I've had the symptoms you describe is when I was trying to remove a gearbox and the input shaft pulled the spigot/pilot bearing out from the back of the crankshaft - it will move the distance you describe but the spigot bearing then hits the clutch disc centre and cannot be withdrawn any further as the bearing is to large to fit through the centre of the clutch plate.

I got round it by undoing the pressure plate bolts - there should be just enough room between the engine and box to get a spanner in there and undo each bolt, you will need to turn the engine over using the front crank pulley to spin the engine over to get each bolt in a position for removal, once all bolts removed pull the motor out and the bearing, clutch plate and pressure plate will be left behind in the bell housing - then you just need to get the bearing off the input shaft which is great fun :banghead:

Hope this helps

Wayne
If an honest man is wrong and after demonstrating that he is wrong he either stops being wrong or stops being honest
STEVEW
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.3S
Project

Post by STEVEW »

Remove the engine - remove the bonnet.
It saves a lot of hassle.
It's not rocket science to realign a bonnet and, as others have noted, mark the alignment before removing.
[email protected]
Car(s): 2.0 laser mk3

Post by [email protected] »

Mr B wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 12:07 am
[email protected] wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 6:11 pm Hi, struggled for 3 hours today. I couldn't get Pinto 2.0 litre block away from laser 5 speed gearbox. It's moved half an inch, and even with one pulling and 2 with crowbars, still no good. Trolley jack under gearbox, readjusted height and rope angle. All to no avail. Only spline attached. Any ideas? I did this job easily 30 years ago but no good this time.
Hi mate,

The only time I've had the symptoms you describe is when I was trying to remove a gearbox and the input shaft pulled the spigot/pilot bearing out from the back of the crankshaft - it will move the distance you describe but the spigot bearing then hits the clutch disc centre and cannot be withdrawn any further as the bearing is to large to fit through the centre of the clutch plate.

I got round it by undoing the pressure plate bolts - there should be just enough room between the engine and box to get a spanner in there and undo each bolt, you will need to turn the engine over using the front crank pulley to spin the engine over to get each bolt in a position for removal, once all bolts removed pull the motor out and the bearing, clutch plate and pressure plate will be left behind in the bell housing - then you just need to get the bearing off the input shaft which is great fun :banghead:

Hope this helps

Wayne
Hi,
Found out I need to go to specsavers. I missed a bolt underneath that went through the metal plate between gearbox and engine. It was out but bouncing back like a spring. Simple solution if I was fit enough to get right under car to see it.
Mr B
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Four 3 litre Capri's and 2 Mark 1 GXL's

Post by Mr B »

[email protected] wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 5:42 am
Mr B wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 12:07 am
Hi mate,

Hope this helps

Wayne
Hi,
Found out I need to go to specsavers. I missed a bolt underneath that went through the metal plate between gearbox and engine. It was out but bouncing back like a spring. Simple solution if I was fit enough to get right under car to see it.

We have all been there! Glad you got it sorted mate

Wayne
If an honest man is wrong and after demonstrating that he is wrong he either stops being wrong or stops being honest