I know its only 1.6 ,,, but can I make it faster

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
MiniMan
Car(s): 1.6 Ford Capri Laser, 1986, Diamond white with half white leather recaro interior

I know its only 1.6 ,,, but can I make it faster

Post by MiniMan »

Just curious if anyone knows whats the best thing to get a bit more 'umph' out of a 1.6 capri... what can I do ... new k&n air filter ? is it worth it? new exhaust? ... etc... any ideas

Also I've been hunting ebay for an exhaust system ... one that will give a capri more growl ... the whole 'hear me coming' and a bit of vroom when I put my foot on the accelerator anyone have any experience of a good exhaust one that is loud... but not over the top look at me in my 1992 corsa loud ...

ooo ooo and I cant find the mk2 i think it is, grill anywhere ... hmph

Thanks Guys
any ideas welcome
burgh89
Car(s): Ford Capri 1.6 Laser

Re: I know its only 1.6 ,,, but can I make it faster

Post by burgh89 »

First thing I'd do is bin the standard carb and whack on one from the 2 litre. Gives it a bit more oomph and is bolt on job. I fitted a 4 Branch sports manifold to a standard exhaust system and tbh doesn't do much really. I'd invest in an entire exhaust system but don't know enuf about it to advise.
Thats the only mods i've done to my car, still pretty slow but keeps up with traffic and is suprisingly torquey.
Dependant on budget I'd have a look at upgrading the head like cam and stuff.
mickycapri
Car(s): ford capri mk3 2.0 laser called vicky

Post by mickycapri »

i have a 3 or 4" ashley system on mine and it sounds like thunder. the windows on the other side of the house shake when i rev up.

also a k&n filter is good as long as you keep it clean
The perils of rock N' roll decadence (axl rose is god)
Bug
Car(s): Some

Post by Bug »

Tom's Mk 2 has a Peter Lloyd manifold and system on it. Not a great fan of the 3" rear pipe, but it's black so doesn't show up too much anyway. The sound it makes is definitely not standard but also doesn't sound like your average plastic, fwd crap, lookwotatwatiam set up!
The system took a bit of 'adjustment' to fit without fouling round the rear axle/ARB/leaf spring area, but if it's all assembled loosely first you can quite easily bend it a bit where needed then pull it all up tight.
If you want the sounds and a perfect fit then it has to be Janspeed, but that'll cost!

Oh, and the Mk2 grille is usually to be found round the front, below the bonnet lip, just between the headlights.................on Mk2s........... :D
Peter-S
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1985 Capri 2.0
1983 Capri 2.8i

Post by Peter-S »

I put one of these on

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/FORD-CAPRI-2-LITR ... 518d36b620

they do the manifolds too. It was the only one with a 2" tail and I'm not keen on the 3" pipe.
Went on really easily and I think it sounds nice. My mutton mother can hear me when I pull onto her drive and the wife thinks its a bit noisy now so I guess its about right :lol:
ImageBanner by Peter Smith, on Flickr
Bug

Post by Bug »

I'd go for that to be honest.
Just be aware that the manifold isn't part of that price!

The main fitting problem with the Peter Lloyd Rallying system was due to the need for the 3" tail pipe to clear the rear valance (even now I have a rubber pad wedged in there!)
A 2" pipe should clear the valance and allow everything to line up more easily I reckon.
Apart from that it looks identical to the PLR item.
mickycapri

Post by mickycapri »

you want it to sound like this :D

[youtube]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/tQdi4bICN1U&hl ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/tQdi4bICN1U&hl=en_GB&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube]
Huw
Donator
Donator
Car(s): No Capris since May when i lost my storage. :-(
E34 BMW 530 Touring (manual) - 4L V8 conversion, minimal exhaust, cut springs, welded diff ... daily driver. :-)

Post by Huw »

Sod that.

Assuming insurance isn't too much of a problem (and i'm assuming it isn't if you're fine with fitting a new exhaust/carb/filter), just fit a 2L engine. For the same money as a 2" system and 4-2-1 manifold, you'll get a decent running 2L.

Better bang for your buck.
Huw Larsen (sorry ... no pics of the Capris sideways)

InvalidBoy wrote:A Pie with chips is the equivalent of Meryl Streep... seemingly wholesome, but allsorts of animal die in the process.
InvalidBoy
Car(s): .

[OO]===o===[OO]

Post by InvalidBoy »

My suggestion...

...with shop around and second hand price ballpark figures.
Fit a two litre cam and followers £20
Fit a pegged quaife vernier cam strocket £5
Buy some small choke bike carbs (600cc or a bit smaller) I'd recommend Keihins over Mikunis as they have "Bogg Bros R1 tax"... £20 New main jets £18.
Chop up an old inlet manifold £20
Buy a metre of silicon hose from Pirtek £10
Fit the 4-2-1 exhaust as above £30

Once set up that should rev and rev!

Developments:
1, fit the pointless dizzy conversion from Watford Classic Spares
2, rolling road set up at Bogg Bros
3, use the tps on the bike carbs to fit a megajolt system
Image THE trollkiller. Oh yes! ImageImage NEXT!
MiniMan
Car(s): 1.6 Ford Capri Laser, 1986, Diamond white with half white leather recaro interior

Post by MiniMan »

thanks for the advice guys its been truely noted ... so regarding exhaust I'm still not sure

I'm quite a fan of chrome tailpipes and have seen this one ... its 'sportex' ... am not aware of the brand .. is anyone familiar with this brand ....

heres the link http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/FORD-CAPRI-1-6-2- ... 5d2801e0c9

check it out and tell me your views ...
or if you've got one ... I'd love to know the sound difference etc...

Thanks again for you all your comments all the above has been noted and I plan to get my 1.6 up to speed ...LITERALLY!

haha
Sam
mickycapri

Post by mickycapri »

I'll do you a video of mine tomorrow, sounds like a pissed of tiger an if you rev it right up it makes some really meaty sounds. I've never been a fan of the Asians near me with stupid exhausts on shorty cars but on a decent car (Capri) they sound great.
STOCK...tm
Car(s): Nothing special as a daily driver.. nothing for the weekend.... but a HEMI V8 in the garage getting some attention :)

Post by STOCK...tm »

my first capri was a 1600..... complete with vv carb.... a full on 72 bhp :(

I built up a fresh bottom end and reconditioned the head... fitted with a standard 2 litre cam and a little portwork ...nothing major, i also fitted the 32/36 weber carb and manifold...

Running on real four star fuel (1990) it did go well.... and was actually quicker than any of the 2 litre engined capri's in the area!

Anyway..... have you considered getting a cylinder head done for it? It would be a good time to convert it to unleaded fuel ( hardened valve seats for the exhaust valves) also replace the cam bearings and fit a different cam.... the standard 2 litre cam (268 degree , 1600 cam is 256) is a good choice and will allow the engine to rev clean to 7000rpm .

this is a 1600 head, was fitted with hardened valve seats and bigger exhaust valves, it was also skimmed to raise the compression ratio.

before and after of exhaust port.

People are too quick to write of the 1600 pinto.......
Image ImageImage
Bug

Post by Bug »

STOCK...tm wrote: People are too quick to write of the 1600 pinto.......
At last! Common sense. Thought I was the only one getting fed up of seeing people come on to this forum for advice on 1600s and simply being told to fit a 2 litre lump.
If we all went this way then the 1600 would disappear........and I like it!
mickycapri

Post by mickycapri »

you could try pushing it. sure that'd be faster :D

sorry, just bored
Huw
Donator
Donator
Car(s): No Capris since May when i lost my storage. :-(
E34 BMW 530 Touring (manual) - 4L V8 conversion, minimal exhaust, cut springs, welded diff ... daily driver. :-)

Post by Huw »

Bug wrote:
At last! Common sense. Thought I was the only one getting fed up of seeing people come on to this forum for advice on 1600s and simply being told to fit a 2 litre lump.
But everything you do to a 1600 can also be done to a 2L, except with the 2L, you're starting from a fairly tuned 1600 point.

The only reasons I can think for keeping with the 1600:

1. Insurance;
2. VERY limited cost;
3. Racing regulations;
4. Sucker for originality (but why mod in the first place?!?!);
5. Sheer bloody mindedness. :mrgreen:
Huw Larsen (sorry ... no pics of the Capris sideways)

InvalidBoy wrote:A Pie with chips is the equivalent of Meryl Streep... seemingly wholesome, but allsorts of animal die in the process.
STOCK...tm
Car(s): Nothing special as a daily driver.. nothing for the weekend.... but a HEMI V8 in the garage getting some attention :)

Post by STOCK...tm »

Huw wrote:
Bug wrote:
But everything you do to a 1600 can also be done to a 2L, except with the 2L, you're starting from a fairly tuned 1600 point.

1. Insurance;
2. VERY limited cost;
3. Racing regulations;

the short stroke of a 1600 makes it a totally different power delivery to the 2 litre.... its all about revs.... a standard 2 litre is reluctant to rev past 5500rpm...... about 105 mph...... ive built 1600's with very few mods rev to 6500rpm in 4th gear..
Image ImageImage
InvalidBoy
Car(s): .

[OO]===o===[OO]

Post by InvalidBoy »

Huw wrote:

1. Insurance;
2. VERY limited cost;
3. Racing regulations;
Number five for me...
Image THE trollkiller. Oh yes! ImageImage NEXT!
SwishingMullet
Car(s): 2 x 1.6 LS and a Volvo S60 (daily driver)

Post by SwishingMullet »

...a 'lightly modded/GT Spec/tuned' 1.6 is so often underrated, perfomance wise it is quite a jump ahead from the bog-standard 1.6...

...I ran one of mine as a tuned 1.6 for over a decade, o.k it didn't have mega performance, but get it revving and it could leave the average 2litre dragging its knuckles... :bruce:
STOCK...tm

Post by STOCK...tm »

SwishingMullet wrote:...a 'lightly modded/GT Spec/tuned' 1.6 is so often underrated, perfomance wise it is quite a jump ahead from the bog-standard 1.6...

...I ran one of mine as a tuned 1.6 for over a decade, o.k it didn't have mega performance, but get it revving and it could leave the average 2litre dragging its knuckles... :bruce:

I am sure i have read somewhere that the gt spec 1600 actually made 96 bhp..... i think most often quoted is 88bhp, 16 bhp up on the standard vv equipped..... or 22 if the quote of 96 to be true....

It would be intresting to know what the 1600 pinto ive just built up makes..... i hope its owner puts it on the rolling road
Image ImageImage
MiniMan

Post by MiniMan »

wahhh facts and figures
whats the standard 0-60 in a 1.6 ... I'm yet to check mine out
just what see how many horses have gone walk about over the year haha