1.6 GL....dry-stored for around 16 years...(lots of pics)

Use this forum to post threads of ongoing Capri projects and restorations.
CAEDES

1.6 GL....dry-stored for around 16 years...(lots of pics)

Post by CAEDES »

Before I start, sorry for the masses of massive pictures....I don't think photobucket likes me.

A few months ago, I got a 1.6 GL on a T plate for £150 delivered...Apparently, it had been dry-stored for years. The owner before the guy I got it off had a small prang in it and took it off the road to fix it...it even has brand new disc and pads on... I think he just gave up and it eventually turned into a general shelf in the back of a garage..Then the guy I got it off bought it as a project, but didn't have space and had to give up his garage....Now it's with me....

Now, it looked quite tatty, but under the surface rust, I reckon there's a rather solid shell. I've toyed with lots of ideas, but I think I'm going to aim to go with a 2.0 zetec...and then, maybe supercharge, if funds and ability allow. First though, I'm just gonna get the thing back on the road. Hopefully there'll be lots of pics to follow.

Before anything started....

Last tax disc....

My first job was fixing a strut plate...Now, for someone who's never done any real welding, I think I did an OK job...I just hope I don't have much more welding to tackle.

Before....

A cool thing I found in the engine bay....

After....doesn't look too bad.

Next, I moved onto the body...

Before...

At the moment....rubbing strips off driver's side and pins ground back. Any bits in silver have been stripped back to metal, then given a good zinc spraying. Hoping to do this to most of the car, then go back and get rid of the rust properly with Mr. Grinder.

Well, that's it for now....there's a massive list of things left to do, but at least I've made a start!
CAEDES

Re: 1.6 GL....dry-stored for around 16 years...(lots of pics)

Post by CAEDES »

Hey, the pics have gone small now! Weird, they were massive when I previewed the thread.

Well, that's it, I retract my apology for big pics! :D
rob
Car(s): SIGNAL ORANGE CAPRI 2.0S REP 1984 B REG 58,000 MILES FROM NEW built and painted by myself.... AND MY KAWASAKI ZXR 750 J1 in kawasaki green race tuned 170 mph rice rocket!

Post by rob »

hiya looks like its going to be a nice car pal looks kind ov like my blue laser :lol: no doubt itl be a gr8 car when its done keep up the good work...... d put some pics up of my restoration but dont know how :cry: ;)
CAEDES

Post by CAEDES »

You should stick some pics up! Just open a thread, then click browse at the bottom to add file as attachments.....where it says "Upload attachment". I reckon that's the easiest way. Then again, you can hardly say yours is a "restoration".....I mean, when listing work done so far, you'd be: 1)drove to MOT; 2)passed MOT; 3)turned mixture screw; 4)job done!... :lol:

Anyway, about the pics, I did it by uploading my pics to photobucket and then linking them in, but I reckon the attachment option is quicker and easier.....put it this way, I'll not be bothering with photobucket again. lol.

As for the car, I reckon it'll be a while before I get that 5 speed I got off you fitted....I'm gonna try to do the body first, so there's plenty to keep me going for a good long while.
digger
Car(s): Mk3 3.1 4 speed now being stripped for rebuild and respray.... doesn't really need it... just want to do it
Mk3 convertible 3 ltr 5 speed...just putting the finishing touches on it

Post by digger »

looking good there, nice find!!! doesn't look like it'll need too much doing.
Is that the convertible in the top picture??

Digger
The force is 3.1ltrs strong in this one........

http://www.my-capris.yolasite.com/
CAEDES

Post by CAEDES »

Yep, that's the convertible in the top pic.....and that needs a lot more doing to it than the yellow one....I'm thinking it may actually be easier to reshell, but I don't want to hack about at a good capri to put the bodykit on.

As for the yellow one, well, it doesn't look like it'll need too much, but I'm spending a lot of time on the body (so hopefully it'll last a fair while). After a quick peek underneath, it's looking fairly good, so fingers crossed for the 2009 shows!

Hopefully, I'll get some more pics and an update fairly soon...Hoping to DRIVE it out of the garage tomorrow.
rob
Car(s): SIGNAL ORANGE CAPRI 2.0S REP 1984 B REG 58,000 MILES FROM NEW built and painted by myself.... AND MY KAWASAKI ZXR 750 J1 in kawasaki green race tuned 170 mph rice rocket!

Post by rob »

CAEDES wrote:You should stick some pics up! Just open a thread, then click browse at the bottom to add file as attachments.....where it says "Upload attachment". I reckon that's the easiest way. Then again, you can hardly say yours is a "restoration".....I mean, when listing work done so far, you'd be: 1)drove to MOT; 2)passed MOT; 3)turned mixture screw; 4)job done!... :lol:

Anyway, about the pics, I did it by uploading my pics to photobucket and then linking them in, but I reckon the attachment option is quicker and easier.....put it this way, I'll not be bothering with photobucket again. lol.

As for the car, I reckon it'll be a while before I get that 5 speed I got off you fitted....I'm gonna try to do the body first, so there's plenty to keep me going for a good long while.
:lol: ;) cheaky swine ive dun the raear wheel arch,new roof lineing etc etc il put a post up 4 ya all :) oooooooooh n i got u the aston martin mat u wanted mate
CAEDES

Post by CAEDES »

[quote="rob]oooooooooh n i got u the aston martin mat u wanted mate[/quote]

Quality....did you manage to get a pair for the front? That'll be the only good bit of the entire motor....but watch this space! :?

Still, I hardly think you could call it a restoration...lol....maybe a project.....especially if you go orange (as I think you mentioned)! 8-)
rob

Post by rob »

CAEDES wrote:[
yea there the front one pal n il stain protect em for ya :) did u manage to find me a bumper? anyway bout my project so far ive put a new rear arch in its bang on!! new n/s wing,bonnet repaired, all interior changed to clean 2.8 recaros as u av seen , new carpet, rooof lineing,seat belt runners,boot mat,rear seat belts fitted, fan heater working. all rust gone off bonet,bottom of doors etc new head lights,spedo cable,that sports exhaust fitted new wheel bearings all round new alternator,fuel pump n hoses thats it so far just starting to take bits off exterior for respray in signal orange grill n head light bezzles going black side stips off ;) :) bellow is my insperation mate ;)
Attachments
Picture 009.jpg
Picture 009.jpg (51.58 KiB) Viewed 2914 times
CAEDES

Post by CAEDES »

That is some SWEET inspiration there! Thought you were hell bent on going black though?

I haven't managed to reach the back of the garage yet (it's that bad), but the only bumper I've found so far has a few dings in it (probably as bad as the one you've already got).....I'll keep looking though! Watch this space

Oh, and start a thread and get some pics up! I wanna see the transformation!