73 CapriEV

Use this forum to post threads of ongoing Capri projects and restorations.
Embo
Car(s): 2018 Camaro ZL1 1LE
74 Capri RS3100 EV Project

Re: 73 CapriEV

Post by Embo »

Thank you! Still a lot to figure out. It's actually a little scary, the entire interior has to be finalized in design and executed. I'm going from seats to steering wheel adaptor to figuring out steering wheel to wheel design and sizing etc... But I suppose that is one of the main reasons to do a project like this, to sort of get lost in the figuring out part.
At the CAD shop the design of the trunk battery box is nearly complete, it will have 8 of the battery supercell units (40 lb each). Then the rear box will be figured out with 6 units. While that part is being built the car will go to Ken Pike, who has extensive experience working on fiberglass. Ken has finished hundreds and hundreds of factory five cars over the years including my Cobra replica which was finished back in 2015, and is a fantastic guy with great expertise and real attention to detail. Even though I have the fiberglass 74 RS3100 parts, these are splash mold parts and still need to be integrated properly into the existing body. To that end I have tried to compile as many pics of the '74 from the internet as possible. I've gone as far as saving specific angles from races and even my buddy's gaming simulator which has very realistic liveries of the car, specifically for the rear angle for the lower part of the bumper. If anyone knows where i can get this add-on part, please let me know!:)
Attachments
TrunkBatteryBox1.jpg
TrunkBatteryBox1.jpg (23.28 KiB) Viewed 468 times
SimLiquiMoli1.jpg
Sim LiquiMoly2.jpg
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Post by pbar »

Those are super pics of the car. If you should have a front-angled view (similar to the rear-angled one) please post it!
Embo

Post by Embo »

pbar wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 4:03 pm Those are super pics of the car. If you should have a front-angled view (similar to the rear-angled one) please post it!
Do you mean of the simulated racing car? The rear fender top angle is almost perpendicular which is more acute than the "real life" models I've seen. Rick Wood has been building and racing these RS3100 cars with actual Cosworth motors and a lot of my pics come from online pics and videos of his cars.
pbar

Post by pbar »

Embo wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 4:21 pm
pbar wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 4:03 pm Those are super pics of the car. If you should have a front-angled view (similar to the rear-angled one) please post it!
Do you mean of the simulated racing car?
Yes, similar to the bottom pic you posted, but from the front angle. I do know Ric Wood a little funnily enough, been to his place, fascinating.
Embo

Post by Embo »

Yes Ric was very helpful and tried to help me since he's one of the only people who has the GAA class 2 cologne 3rd gen molds. He's really not set up for shipping to some random guy in California with a strange project. So I ended up sourcing those from my Ohio connection.
I'm including a bunch of my Sim pics. My buddy was doing a 70's class 2 race and ran across a capri and went down that rabbit hole for me.
The liveries are pretty cool and most of them I have not seen on any pics online.
Attachments
simcapri action.jpg
sim Capri dark.jpg
Sim Capri front 1.jpg
Sim Capri Front 2.jpg
sim Capri Front 3.jpg
Sim Capri front 4.jpg
sim Capri front 5.jpg
sim Capri liqui moly.jpg
pbar

Post by pbar »

Those pics are awesome. Thanks for posting them, think I'll grab those to keep.
Embo

Post by Embo »

haha of course! The "porsche killer" was really this iteration of the capri and it was an awesome car!
Embo

Post by Embo »

Some further movement.
Ordered the seats and adaptors from Griffin Motorwerks in Berkeley: tbh a lot more than I wanted to spend but they are Recaro heated seats (not many models available with heating) and the sizing works for the Capri... I did not know but Recaro has Capri-specific adaptors since some models came with Recaro seats and so it seems natural that I pay 3x what I was hoping for German-made seats that will cost close to $900 to ship to my house...
Attachments
RecaroSporsterCS1.JPG
Embo

Post by Embo »

Also, steering assist.
To have or not to have steering assist was the question for a while. The Capri should weigh close to original v6 numbers, with more even/rear biased weight distribution than the original. So technically it could do without power steering, using some arm strength at low speed mainly around parking. But... I'm hoping for 305 width tires and I would like to plan the car toward sharing it at some point with wife and kids.
So power steering and power brakes are in.
For power steering since the car is electric it makes sense to have electric assist (and not hydraulic).
There are solutions using electric assist motors from cars (Prius and hyundai models from my research are common), but one important consideration is variable assist depending on vehicle speed. So... went with EVWest's system that has the speed variable assist that is adjustable also.
It will go between the rack shaft and the steering shaft with adaptors and likely some welding.
Attachments
electric-power-steering-unit-for-electric-vehicles.jpeg
Embo

Post by Embo »

And Brad has been at work with the CAD designs... he may be reading this build thread so I have to watch what I say:)
The charger will need ventilation during charging and the trunk may not be ideal since I hope to have it sealed relatively effectively. So thinking of placing it in the front where there is more open space. I do plan on having most of the lower part of engine bay sealed around the battery box with panels, and planning on a solid front grille without air flow, but the front compartment should still have some good air leak to allow decent ventilation.
So a few CAD designs with the charger in the front. The other box is the contactor box, and that one will likely end up in the trunk.
Thanks Brad!!
Attachments
ChargerContactorBox1.jpg
ChargerContactorBox1.jpg (21.17 KiB) Viewed 349 times
ChargerContactorBox2.jpg
ChargerContactorBox2.jpg (25.11 KiB) Viewed 349 times
ChargerContactorBox3.jpg
ChargerContactorBox3.jpg (23.28 KiB) Viewed 349 times
ChargerContactorBox4.jpg
ChargerContactorBox4.jpg (25.26 KiB) Viewed 349 times
Rear Contact Box.jpg
Rear Contact Box.jpg (21.12 KiB) Viewed 349 times
Brad-C
Car(s): Not a Capri owner - helping a friend (Embo) build his 73 Capri as an EV and follow along his build thread.

Post by Brad-C »

That's right! I'm watching you now.. haha

Here are a few updated battery box images. I'll post for you this time since you're traveling.
Attachments
Rear Box 2.jpg
Rear Box 1.jpg
Front Box 2.jpg
Front Box 1.jpg
Embo

Post by Embo »

That is nice!!!
Love the cover for the charger, that is perfect.
Thank you. See you hopefully tomorrow!