Advice on funny running

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
D366Y
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1986 Laser 1.6, daily runaround project
1981 GL Auto 2.0, Barn-Find-Resto, now also a runaround project
1980 3.0S, crash damage resto
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Currently full up and no more space but I still want a 2.8...

Re: Advice on funny running

Post by D366Y »

Have also just read in the Haynes about Head Removal - thank god it's a five minute job eh?? 😲

Not much you don't have to unplug or disconnect to get the bastad off by the looks of it 😂
A wise man once said... "you can never have too many capris - buy another" :beer:
It's me, I'm the wise man.
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1980 mk3 capri 2l ohc T9 , Toyota Blade Master 3.5l V6, Paso , 850T,rd400, 900ss

Post by Mc Tool »

D366Y wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 6:04 pm Cheers chaps
All the exhaust valves had tightened up, inlets were fine so think it's time to bite the bullet.

Pain in the arse though, CK in Wycombe have quoted £3-600 including new seats and valves but can't do it until New Year - just a pain in the balls that it comes when the other one is still being welded!! Never comes at a convenient time :roll:
I think the line " at the worst possible time " is somewhere in Murphy's law. :)
Sometimes I talk to myself ... and we both have a good laugh
SCP440
Car(s): Capri Ghia MK3 3.0, Jensen Interceptor MK3, ZTT 260 V8

Post by SCP440 »

Do you want me to ask Guardias engineering in the morning when he could do it and a price?

In my experience there is never a good time for unplanned jobs like this. I once did a Clutch change by the side of the road on a Cortina in the rain, we had planned to do it the following day but as the car would not go up hill we had no other option. Those were the days, cars are being written off these days because they need a clutch change and the labour charge is going to cost more that the car is worth let alone the parts.

As far as head removal its not a big job on a Pinto especially if you putting another one on immediately. A few precautions would be to have new exhaust studs and nuts ready as these can often shear off but I would have thought a couple of hours off and 4 or so to put it back on including the valve adjustment if you have never done it before and less if you are handy with the spanners. I remember doing a cam change on one in the 80s and we had it done in an evening as I had to drive it to work in the morning and we had a couple of beers when we had finished. You can probably save time by undoing the manifold from the head and leaving it on the downpipe and the same leave the carb on the inlet manifold.
SCP440

Post by SCP440 »

Just seen this
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/126224164975 ... R-DEuY-IYw
All you need a head gasket and its ready to go.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Also comes with a free day trip to Halifax to collect in person...

Andrew.
D366Y
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1986 Laser 1.6, daily runaround project
1981 GL Auto 2.0, Barn-Find-Resto, now also a runaround project
1980 3.0S, crash damage resto
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Currently full up and no more space but I still want a 2.8...

Post by D366Y »

A mere 325 mile 7 hour round trip 😂

Will keep an eye out though and see what pops up!
A wise man once said... "you can never have too many capris - buy another" :beer:
It's me, I'm the wise man.
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1980 mk3 capri 2l ohc T9 , Toyota Blade Master 3.5l V6, Paso , 850T,rd400, 900ss

Post by Mc Tool »

Needs must ,😁 I just drove to Christchurch and back to pick up a #4mk1.5 , that's 365miles each way , paid 1800 NZ bucks for it .......and I will never use it 🤔
Sometimes I talk to myself ... and we both have a good laugh
SCP440

Post by SCP440 »

If you have the time offer the asking price less the cost of the fuel to get there and back and it will save you having to get one done if accepted. The other option is if they will box it up there are carriers that will collect it for you and its not that expensive these days. I use DHL and have found there service very good. Is there anyone on here near Halifax who could collect it for you and box it up?
By the time you have purchased a spare head, had it cleaned and converted to Unleaded you are going to be at £500 give or take a round of drinks.
CapriTime
Car(s): Capri Lasers

Post by CapriTime »

Carriers for car parts can be surprisingly economical. Royal mail though seem intent on pricing themselves out of the market with their never-ending increases.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Not all Ebay sellers of large items are happy to co-operate in facilitating a courier, however, luckily this one is.
I've messaged the seller and received a response saying that they would be happy to package the head for a collection.

As the previous listing received no bids, it could be an idea to message the seller offering a price to buy it now.
I've had some success using this method, even if the listing says they don't accept offers. There might be a good deal to be had here.

Andrew.
CapriTime
Car(s): Capri Lasers

Post by CapriTime »

From experience I have found that most will be ok for the buyer to arrange a courier, at the buyers cost.