73 CapriEV

Use this forum to post threads of ongoing Capri projects and restorations.
Embo
Car(s): 2018 Camaro ZL1 1LE with ethanol tune daily driver
Factory Five Roadster (65 Cobra replica) with 5.0 Coyote
Ford Raptor family hauler
73 Capri project

Re: 73 CapriEV

Post by Embo »

Currently working toward packing up the chassis and the tesla rear end assembly to take to my expert fab guy...
Chassis is secured on the car dolly, the rear end is stabilized on 2 wheels and a dolly in the middle. The Brembo rears were a little snug so they came off. I can roll the rear end around the driveway very easily now, which should help with loading onto the trailer.
Attachments
RearDollyWheel.jpg
RearDollyWheel.jpg (33.67 KiB) Viewed 11480 times
RearWheels.jpg
RearWheels.jpg (30.07 KiB) Viewed 11480 times
RearBrembo.jpg
RearBrembo.jpg (22.94 KiB) Viewed 11480 times
Embo
73 Capri project

Post by Embo »

Also, the batteries were purchased as promised. Michael and EV West are such a positive force and so full of support, glad to be one of their customers.
https://www.evwest.com/catalog/
The batteries I purchased are made by LG, and they're new. This and also that I do not plan on doing any DC charging, I hope, with maximize my safety long term.
You read about cheap batteries catching fire, and most of the time actually exploding.
There are, however, billions of iPhones that have been sold over the years. While I'm sure there have been quality issues, I do not think anyone goes to bed thinking their phone may blow up next to them on the nigh stand overnight. I hope my battery packs will have similar luck to most other reliably built and assembled batteries out there.
Also, hoping to distribute the batteries with a little more bias toward the rear than the last projection I made last week. more to come.
Embo
73 Capri project

Post by Embo »

Next big step, grafting the Tesla rear end assembly to the Capri chassis. Got the 2 parts plus Cologne gen 3 fenders to my fabulous fabricator connection. Some scanning and planning done too.
Had to do emergency chassis dolly wheel swap during the transfer too.
More to come.
It was definitely a tight squeeze getting the rear axle and the chassis on at the same time. A little extra interesting since I was solo.
Attachments
BattFront8Rear5.jpg
BattFront8Rear5.jpg (19.48 KiB) Viewed 11439 times
WheelSwap.jpg
WheelSwap.jpg (31.06 KiB) Viewed 11439 times
CT at Tolle2.jpg
CT at Tolle2.jpg (25.84 KiB) Viewed 11439 times
CapriToTolle1.jpg
CapriToTolle1.jpg (31.56 KiB) Viewed 11439 times
CT on Trailer.jpg
CT on Trailer.jpg (30.06 KiB) Viewed 11439 times
Embo
73 Capri project

Post by Embo »

The batteries arrived. 560 lbs in a box.
The batteries and the body work/paint were always going to be the most expensive part of the project, and so far this is holding up. 45 kWh of capacity is not cheap!
Or light. Each of the 14 cells weighs 40 lb.
The batteries are also the heaviest component of the car. This set of batteries weighs very close to what the entire Capri unibody/chassis weighs.
Attachments
batterystack.jpg
batterystack.jpg (36.84 KiB) Viewed 11362 times
fromEVWestwithLove.jpg
fromEVWestwithLove.jpg (30.77 KiB) Viewed 11362 times
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser Mercury Grey 1987 hobby .
Mercedes Vito tourer 2.1 Big Bus Daily Driver

Post by Jasonmarie »

I am watching , it’s coming along now .
Ford Capri 2.0 Laser 1987 Mercury Grey ....... :beer:
Embo
73 Capri project

Post by Embo »

Question re the steering rack:
Looking to see the shape of the rack.
The driver side once the boot is taken off, a bunch of oil came out. Everything looks clean and the metal is in perfect shape…
I suspect there’s a failed seal… any ideas and suggestions are appreciated. Also I may be looking for a rebuild kit if anyone has a place they can send me.
Thank you
Attachments
IMG_6287.jpeg
D366Y
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1986 Laser 1.6, daily runaround project
1981 GL Auto 2.0, Barn-Find-Resto, now also a runaround project
1980 3.0S, crash damage resto
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Currently full up and no more space but I still want a 2.8...

Post by D366Y »

I've not seen anything in the way of rebuild kits for the racks, all we get offered over here is to buy reconditioned racks and you pay slightly less if you give them your old one in exchange
A wise man once said... "you can never have too many capris - buy another" :beer:
It's me, I'm the wise man.
SCP440
Car(s): Capri Ghia MK3 3.0, Jensen Interceptor MK3, ZTT 260 V8

Post by SCP440 »

Kiley Clinton in Birmingham UK will rebuild your rack and give you a 12 month warranty. The problem with just replacing seals is it rarely lasts. Once the seals have worn there is usually ware in the metal parts and though new seals will stop the immediate leak the seals will ware out quickly.
I have been using Kiley Clinton for 20 years and every rack comes back looking like new.
Embo
73 Capri project

Post by Embo »

Thank you for your responses; one issue with being in California/USA is there are far fewer resources for the 73 Capri here than in the UK, Europe, or Australia.
There are remanufactured placeholders online but they don't have any actual parts to ship.
I've looked at more modern options and may still do so if I can't find a proper replacement.
Anyone use a more modern option that matches the width of the Capri rack?
Thanks again!
nemo
Car(s): none at the moment

Post by nemo »

I wouldn`t have thought the actual width would be the biggest issue. If you can source anything wider you can cut the track rods to length and simply use a die to put a new thread on for the TRE? Where you`d mount it is another matter...
Embo
73 Capri project

Post by Embo »

Still haven't found a reasonable Capri rack rebuild/reconditioned option. I do think electric assist will be needed as the front tires will be super wide and the battery box in the front will be around 350 lb.
So... Probably will need to source a new rack solution. Most likely a Fox Body Mustang rack, it measures similar to the Capri's in terms of width between the articulating joints. And it's a beefier unit so hopefully it will hold up longer.
Embo
73 Capri project

Post by Embo »

Paid a visit to Tolle Fab today. Those guys do impressive work. Will post some pics here.
As can be seen the motor is peaking though the rear section more than the CAD projections showed.
Attachments
TolleDecC.jpg
TolleDecC.jpg (27.66 KiB) Viewed 10391 times
TolleDecB.jpg
TolleDecB.jpg (28.79 KiB) Viewed 10391 times
ToleDecA.jpg
ToleDecA.jpg (28.64 KiB) Viewed 10391 times
Embo
73 Capri project

Post by Embo »

A section of the chassis (and the rear rails) have been cut off; the rear assembly has been fitted nicely in symmetric alignment. Significant bolstering of the floor has been done, and a roll bar will add structure strength connecting the trunk section with the cabin area. The cut off rail section will be redone in new geometry to allow for clearance for the front linkage.
Attachments
TolleDecE.jpg
TolleDecE.jpg (36.49 KiB) Viewed 10391 times
TolleDecD.jpg
TolleDecD.jpg (32.32 KiB) Viewed 10391 times
Embo
73 Capri project

Post by Embo »

These guys do such great craftsmanship. The welding detail is shocking. The chassis will definitely be strong once Tolle is through with it.
The roll bar is being installed in as minimally obtrusive way as possible, staying close to the side, and will have pieces going to the trunk. All to keep the option of putting in rear seats as viable as possible down the road.
Any suggestions as to where aftermarket rear seats may be able to be found would be greatly appreciated. As you can see the motor extends forward where the seat itself would be. I think the backrest should not be significantly affected. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Cheers
Attachments
TolleDecH.jpg
TolleDecH.jpg (25.32 KiB) Viewed 10374 times
TolleDecG.jpg
TolleDecG.jpg (30.16 KiB) Viewed 10374 times
TolleDecF.jpg
TolleDecF.jpg (31.56 KiB) Viewed 10374 times
Embo
73 Capri project

Post by Embo »

Some more expansion of the chassis revision, tied into the roll bar.
Based on how far the motor comes into the rear seat area, even after walling it off by new metal in the front, rear seat occupancy safety in case of rear collision is a real concern. The standard car does not have that mass sitting right behind the rear passengers. Thanks to Norm from Team Blitz for highlighting the safety concern.
So a compromise will have to be made and rear seats will be deleted. Which will allow the chassis strengthening to move forward more freely as well. Will make good use of the remaining rear space by tucking in some electric components inside the cabin. I wish I didn't have to, was really hoping to keep rear seats but really no other option.
Thinking about this puzzle, to keep rear seats, the rear subframe can be turned front-rear which would put to motor further back toward the front. Tesla Model 3 motor sits in front of the axles, which helps with center of gravity. If flipped, car would be going in reverse which is fine, except the cooling pump would have to be reversed too to make the coolant move in the correct direction.
Another option would be using the Tesla S motor with new customized rear frame. The S motor aligns with the wheels so there would be more space in front of it.
These without a cage structure would still pose the question of flex in a car that is not normally meant to handle this much instant torque delivery. So deciding to keep rear seats in that scenario would present extra risk e.g. frame damage down the road.
I wanted to take advantage of all the work that tesla has put into this 5 link rear suspension system, by incorporating the rear assembly as a complete unit. Some links will be changed to give more camber and toe adjustability, but the geometry will stay the same.
It's required a bit more work than I expected, because more structure has had to be removed, and also because more expert perspective from Mike Tolle has been shared.
Merry Christmas to all on this forum!
Attachments
TolleNewRail1.jpg
TolleNewRail2.jpg
TolleTrunkCrossBar.jpg
TolleRoll.jpg
TolleRollRear.jpg
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Merry Christmas to you too.
To be honest, at first I thought fitting Tesla mechanical parts in a Capri was just pie in the sky dreaming, but you are making very real progress now. The standard of the fabrication looks second to none. It looks like there is still a fair bit of work to do, but this is going to be something else when it's done.

Andrew.
Embo
73 Capri project

Post by Embo »

Thanks Andrew, yes, it is a strange project from this angle too. You really don't see any Capris on the road in the U.S. anymore and it's also not a car with much history here. A little more background since you brought up your well-placed skepticism. When I started thinking about doing a Capri restomod due to sentimental reasons back in 2015, my intent was to use a Ford Coyote 5.0 motor in it similar to the Factory Five Cobra project that had just been wrapped up in my garage. I know most people on this forum would think me foolish for dropping the V8 powerplant idea(and I do have to tell you, the Coyote is V8 perfection) for a Tesla Frankenstein.
What got me confidence in going electric was my friend Brad (who's second to none in his own right doing CAD designs and figuring out the electrical stuff, which again to be honest, is scary stuff in how much new material one has to learn to have any clue what one is doing or talking about) making good progress and then finishing his factory five Hot Rod project which is basically the blueprint for what I'm doing with the Capri.
The idea was simple: keep the car near its originally light weight, improve the weight distribution by planning out the battery boxes accordingly, and improve the rear suspension for better power delivery and driving dynamics. Then I came across the '74 gen 3 Cologne RS 3100 cars and that really struck a cord; those race cars (including the BMW CLS designs) were what dreams were made of in my young days. I remember having little action stickers and posters of those cars as a young kid. The longer track width of the '74 Class 2 would also allow for keeping a relatively wide Model 3 rear geometry intact, and the tesla rear assembly has 4 bolt-on attachment points to the Tesla Chassis which should make it easier to graft as a unit. And the design on the tesla suspension is very advanced and not done in a cheap way. A wider, lower, much more advanced suspension rear set up to deliver crazy high power in a light car.
Mike Tolle has been an awesome designer and craftsman. We had to figure out the fender flairs and the alignment of the wheels, and the rest is a matter of subtraction of chassis components and adding support structure. His welding looks like art, and his planning and execution are awe-inspiring. Without him I'm not sure where the project would be.
The way the battery weight will be distributed I think will be helpful to lower center of gravity (especially in the front) and keeping traction to the rear wheels on hard acceleration. The Hot Rod mentioned above spins its wheels at high speed on high acceleration, which is a testament to the freakish power to weight ratio of the design. I'm hoping with fatter rear tires and more weight over the rear wheels, I can keep traction for longer in the Capri.
At this time we're looking at a battery box in the front with around 320 lb of batteries mostly behind the front axle, and a box in the rear trunk area, over the rear wheels and slightly back from wheel center with about 240 lb of batteries. The motor in the Model 3 is forward of the axles.

Long answer to your comment, and appreciate your honesty. I know many don't care about electric. The sweet sound of ICE will be missing, but I'm hopeful the performance and driving dynamics gains in combination with a wider and race-inspired stance will make up for the extra complexity and the lack of an aural presence.

More to come,
Cheers
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Hi,
Thanks for your comprehensive reply.
I'm glad that you can understand a little bit of initial scepticism on my part as you are pioneering new stuff with this build. I haven't heard of a project like this having even been attempted, let alone the conversion being successful.
I think you are correct when you say that many people don't care about electric. However, with this project you are not only making a high-performance Capri, you are also future-proofing it so it can be used and enjoyed for many more years. In 20 or so years, it will probably be cheaper and easier to source replacement drive motors than it will be to buy something like a water pump for a Cologne engine!
Yes, you could have dropped in a Coyote V8 and that, relative to what you are doing, would have been a straight forward task.
I can see that you and your team will make a success of this challenging project. As I said, it is clear from the description and photos that the planning and execution of the work is of an exceptionally high standard.
This build thread is definitely one to watch as it progresses!

Andrew.
Embo
73 Capri project

Post by Embo »

Thanks Andrew,
I am hopeful it will be reliable enough once the electric kinks are worked out that I can use it as my daily driver in most conditions. So planning on having electric assist for the brakes and the steering. Maybe even simple enough to drive so the kids can drive it one day.
The Motor and other Tesla components will be the least expensive components and they're also probably the most reliable movable parts that will be used. Hoping not too many component swaps down the road.
Maybe in 10 years there will be updated battery options with more range for the same weight and price.

Got some updates from Tolle Fab shop. Chassis reinforcement is advancing and the Tesla rear subframe attachment points are nearly done.
Should be finishing up with the chassis work in the next 1-2 days.
Posting some more pics.

The rear rail replacement is where the front attachment point from the Tesla rear subframe attaches.
Attachments
tolleDec2711.jpg
TolleDec2712.jpg
TolleDec2713.jpg
TolleDec2714.jpg
Embo
73 Capri project

Post by Embo »

Rear attachment point of the subframe seen here,
And the front attachment point from the side.
Attachments
TolleDec2721.jpg
TolleDec2722.jpg
TolleDec2723.jpg
TolleDec2724.jpg